MGS V: The Phantom Pain Release Creeps Forward

Who ever knows what Konami are up to? Between the reported fallout with Metal Gear maestro Hideo Kojima and new tales of Kafkaesque working conditions, maybe even Konami don’t know. But for once, this has worked to our favour. Konami have shunted the PC release of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain [official site] forward a fortnight to September 1st to match the console editions.

It’s not that simple, of course: Konami’s announcement today also notes that its multiplayer, Metal Gear Online, won’t launch until January 2016 – though the console multiplayer will kick off on October 6th. Oh, Konami!

Alongside all this come updated system requirements and a post detailing what’ll be special about the PC release. The Phantom Pain will let you whip up custom soundtracks with your own MP3s, and offer Steam Trading Cards (this is more bafflingly important for some). It’ll have more graphics options than Ground Zeroes, letting folks tweak depth of field blur and whatnot, though these won’t affect cinematics – why would you want to alter Kojima’s cinematic vision anyway?

As I understand fan theories are supposed to start with the conclusion and draw lines backwards into esoteric proof, here’s the reasoning I want you to find for all these date changes: Kiefer Sutherland is a Fake Snake, and David Hayter will return to punch out Fake Snake with his non-rocket fist. Okay, go!

1. GWOP says:

Go read the second linked article on how Konami treats its staff. They have developers being moved off to security and cleaning duties.

As Jim Sterling says, fuck Konami.

• Pich says:

Apparently they did the same things to Team Silent back in the days.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Honestly I’m such a rabid MGS fan that they could be holding their eyes open with duct tape and putting mongooses in their pants and I’d still be happy, as long as there were more metal gear games. Kojima leaving does give me pause though; I really don’t think Konami can continue his legacy effectively.

2. Just Endless says:

Serious question that might deserve the flac it’s bound to get:

Why pay money for MGS5?
    – It’s +$15 from the average game price, in my country.
    – None of that money will go to the people I’d like to support.
    – All of that money (minus steam cut, etc) will go to a company I’d very much like to not support.

I’ve never pirated a game before, and for Konami outrage reasons, I might start now.

• gunner1905 says:

Or you could just not play the game, you don’t exactly need MGS V to survive do you?

If you’re going to pirate at the very least be honest and accept that you pirate because it’s free.

• Just Endless says:

Well that’s the thing, right? I wouldn’t be. I can afford the game, I will be playing it (MGS is my favorite game franchise and possibly the only thread that’s kept me connected to gaming in some continuous way into adulthood), but I’m now finding it’s a moral clash between business as usual (buying the game) and giving money to people I think are reprehensible.

Thinking on it further, the alternative boycott measure is to find a way to rent, which I do have in my area, though not in any practical way (I’d have to rent a console as well). Still, it’s a non-optimal means of boycott.

I don’t pirate, in general, for moral reasons; those moral reasons in this case are exactly reversed.

Aerothorn says:

Thetrugentlemen below already covered this, but piracy of the title in response to these reports will only serve to further justify Konami’s actions in the eyes of the management: “See!? We knew these games were a waste of money!”

Second, as awful as Konami is, they still paid to fund the game. If they had not, it would not be here. So it seems to me you’re either saying:

A) Given these circumstances, the game would be better of not existing (in which case, why play it?)
          B) You’re still happier that it came about, and you might as well support that process.

Third, you say the money won’t be “going to the people you support.” By this I suspect you mean developers don’t get royalties. But that’s true of essentially all large game companies; the money never directly goes to developers. It simply supports the developers future livelihood indirectly. Now, of course, this is the rub with Konami, because these guys don’t have a future livelihood; but if you’re really “doing it for the developers,” the question becomes: what would they want? Would they rather you pirate the game or pay for it? I can’t claim to know (and that’s one of the problems with “acting in their interest”) but I strongly suspect they would ask you to pay for it, in part because of their own moral values, in part because of the first bit – to prove their value and success to those who doubted them.

• Caiman says:

Also worth pointing out that Konami have indeed paid the developers throughout the entire development period; they received salaries to work for Konami and develop a game, just the way anyone else is paid a salary to work for their employer. That doesn’t entitle them to royalties unless it was part of their original contract (which may or may not be the case here), but by buying the game from Konami you’re ensuring they get reimbursed for their investment into the game’s development. In other words, Kojima Productions were paid with your future monies.

• Deadly Sinner says:

“piracy of the title in response to these reports will only serve to further justify Konami’s actions in the eyes of the management: “See!? We knew these games were a waste of money!””

Yup. What would really show Konami and other companies that treat employees like just a cog in a machine is if MGS5 does really well and MGS6 (which will inevitably be made with a knockoff team) bombs horribly.

Plus, high sales will help Kojima and his team acquire funding or get jobs in the next stage of their careers.

• Deadly Sinner says:

I also forgot to say that the piracy would inevitably be contained to a single platform, so, in reality, you would only be convincing Konami, and possibly other companies, that the PC platform is not worth supporting unless it’s an impossible to pirate multiplayer game.

Aerothorn says:

As a final non-moral argument: Ground Zeroes was a really good port, and all other things being equal, PC gamers should support companies who make a genuine effort for good PC releases. Assuming Phantom Pain has the same quality (and it’s the exact same engine, so it would be very surprising if it didn’t) that’s a plus in their favor.

• criskywalker says:

Well, obviously, to show Kojima your love!

And it’s going to be a fantastic game and it’s much better to play original games these days thanks to updating, to save you the hassle of cracking and all that.

• Xzi says:

Well it’s the same price as all new AAA games in the US. This is also the type of game I’d rather play on the PC than anywhere else, and the gameplay looks solid. Overall seems a much better game than the exposition-fest of MGS4. I’ve only ever played some of the first MGS prior, but I’ve seen others play much of the sequels.

• slerbal says:

You make good points, but I personally will choose to stick it to Konami by not buying or playing their games, rather than resorting to piracy. It is a shame as I like the look of MGS5, but as an ex-games industry person I’m not willing to support such nasty business practices. Of course, that is just me and I don’t claim to speak for anyone else.

• soulis6 says:

Basically there’s two points here you’re addressing:

-Price being too high / more than average: That’s valid, and that sucks it’s higher than most other games, i’m not sure what country you’re in or why, but I imagine it’s just like anything else that’s too expensive, you either have to wait and save up, or hope it gets cheaper in the future (which it definitely will).

-Money not going where you want: This is the one that makes no sense to me. Because you don’t like their choices lately or their practices, they shouldn’t get money for something they paid to have developed?

You’re basically saying I don’t like your attitude, so i’m going to take your game, and play it, but I won’t give you anything for it.
      They did pay the legions of developers who worked on the game for the entire development length, it’s not like the game just sprung from the mind of Kojima one day, ready to be played.

• Just Endless says:

A response to many posts:

at the end of the day, “it’s much better to play original games these days thanks to updating, to save you the hassle of cracking and all that,” I’m going to be buying this game, I bought the other 7 and have a million Steam games and whatever; it would take a major behavior shift and I’d have to learn to deal with awful cracks, etc.

But.
      – The price grumble has been rightfully challenged as the petty part of my post, and it totally is. But like Shadow posted, the +10 price tag with “bonus” of Ground Zeros, which any preorder folks almost certainly have, is a sting, and so that’s why it’s mentioned. It feels like I’m being charged for GZ, which I have already (Steam Sale), and that it’s not a discount for fans is absurd.
      – The ‘payment’ thing. I still challenge that notion: my money WILL NOT GET to the people who made the game; they’ve already been paid throughout the dev cycle, and seeing as the team is being disintegrated and whatnot, the sale rate of this game is not going to be adding to THEIR value in any way, it’ll be adding to Konami’s. Kojima, and hopefully anyone else that’s out, will have immediate value to other companies once they’re out, regardless of MGS5’s sales. Since I cannot harm Konami by avoiding their future ventures (I’m not in the right country and definitely not in the right target audience), the option of stealing their product, I would argue, is no longer in the wrong to the degree that it usually is: that money has been fundamentally redirected in purpose.

I really like ffordesoon’s point though: “If their super-expensive AAA project doubled or tripled its alleged $80m budget in revenue while their mobile and gambling businesses tanked, that would show them that treating their talent like cattle and firing Kojima was a colossal mistake, and it would make ex-KojiPro staffers look like conquering heroes.”

Clearly running a very utilitarian, outcomes-focused argument here, in the background, I’m not cool with the principle of the thing and find myself conflicted in this limit case. But that ^^^ is an interesting argument.

• feamatar says:

Do you think you have that much entitlement to be a thief? If you think it is not theft because there is no material thing stolen and it does not take more money to produce them another copy then you are wrong. The price of a product never reflects its manufacturing cost, when you go shopping you won’t take away a piece of chocolate saying that I already paid enough, you are entitled for a gift. Because that 1 piece of chocolate has almost no value to make, to store. You pay for the marketing and the profit mostly, and there is amortization which is also in the price. Or better, clothes, do you think clothes cost that much to manufacture? I suppose you would much prefer the way if you could take the clothes immediately and pay when there is a discount. This is basically the same idea here, wait for the discount, and play other games in the meanwhile.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

He just said he was going to buy it give him a fucking break.

Qazinsky says:

We were THIS close to have a piracy discussion where someone did not missunderstand what theft means, THIS close!

• soulis6 says:

“The ‘payment’ thing. I still challenge that notion: my money WILL NOT GET to the people who made the game; they’ve already been paid throughout the dev cycle, and seeing as the team is being disintegrated and whatnot, the sale rate of this game is not going to be adding to THEIR value in any way, it’ll be adding to Konami’s”

But this is the crazy part. They have already gotten the money to the people who made the game, they paid them ahead of time for the development of the game. What you’re saying is that you don’t think it’s ‘fair’ that they be paid back for their investment for creating the game.

What you’re basically saying, is that if money isn’t directly going to who you care about, even if they are the ones who put up money to make this product you obviously care about, they shouldn’t get it.

Do you think that’s right? Or Fair?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

It’s not 100% ethically sound, but I was exploring the option of pirating the game and then buying like 3 t-shirts from Kojima Prod. to give them their dues. Doesn’t appear to be an online store that isn’t linked to Konami.

3. Hairball says:

snake your robots leg has come off and it’s falling over, snake! SNAKE!

4. Jinoru says:

Creeps?

Why not “sneaks”?

5. thetruegentleman says:

Piracy only says, “I want this game, but if I don’t have to pay for it then that’s what I’m doing,” thus paving the way for intrusive DLC and pay-to-win schemes.

Besides, Konami’s management would be happy with a failure: it would entirely justify their focus on other elements of gaming, as opposed to the story driven games they previously made. Thus, it would be better if the game is a wild success, so that all the talented people suffering under Konami’s boot have more leverage if they want to go work for another company: something that lets them say, “this game was both a critical AND financial success, even though the public had issues with Konami itself.”

If you want to screw Konami, then don’t gamble with their machines, and don’t play their mobile games: THAT is what will make them gnash their teeth.

• ffordesoon says:

Word. I cringe every time someone says they’re going to pirate this thing. If their super-expensive AAA project doubled or tripled its alleged $80m budget in revenue while their mobile and gambling businesses tanked, that would show them that treating their talent like cattle and firing Kojima was a colossal mistake, and it would make ex-KojiPro staffers look like conquering heroes.

Yes, Konami would post a profit for this quarter in this scenario, but shareholders are already glancing nervously at Konami after the Nikkei article, and if they were to see a quarterly report showing that revenue in the divisions Konami has chosen to focus on is minimal compared to revenue from the division that’s been marked for death, they just might start freaking out. And if we were to keep up the pressure over the quarters, they’d start bailing out.

• Synesthesia says:

That’s actually a fair point. I’ve been debating with myself whether to pirate this one. I think I won’t.

Aerothorn says:

Alice, there should be a special Wild Rumpus for your co-conspirators in the Fake Snake theory.

7. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Alice, I had a similar theory. I like to imagine Kojima planned the voice over shenanigans around the fact that David Hayter will be voicing Solid Snake, so as not to clue us into the idea that we’ll be getting two Snakes for the price of one.

It obviously relates to release dates because if console players finish the game before PC players have had a chance to start the game, it would create a time paradox of Snake battling Snake despite having already battled him.

8. criskywalker says:

I’m OK with this.

I don’t care much for multiplayer, although it’s a bit annoying that those filthy peasants get to play it sooner.

I’m mostly going to buy this to show my support to Kojima and because it’s going to be an amazing game. After that Konami can go eff themselves with F2P mobile games.

9. Shadow says:

Personally, I’m irked by the fact owning Ground Zeroes nets me no discount on MGS V, yet MGS V preorders give away GZ (normally priced at $20) for free. Time and time again developers bend over backwards to lure new buyers, while leaving old ones out in the rain. “New customer? Here, you can have the game and all the DLC at a discounted price! Already have the base game? Oh, no, I’m sorry, pay twice as much as the new guys for the DLC.”

A greedy, greedy move.

Hoping there’s a 20-23% GMG discount closer to release. They’re really pushing it with this.

Thulsa Hex says:

“Time and time again developers bend over backwards to lure new buyers, while leaving old ones out in the rain.”

Publishers, sir, not devs. For the most part at least — and certainly here.

• Geebs says:

Ground Zeroes came out a year ago and was worth the money for 10-20 hours of game. Phantom Pain looks like it’s going to be absolutely stuffed full of things to do. What you’re asking for is basically the same as insisting that you get 10 bucks off the ticket price of, say, a new Avengers movie because you bought Iron Man on DVD and it’s since been screened on TV so lots of people have seen it “for free”.

TL;DR your outrage is excessive.

• Synesthesia says:

Nuuvem will probably have a good price.

10. GeneJacket says:

You joke, but that’s been my theory since the second they announced Kiefer as “Snake”. I wouldn’t put it past Kojima to wrap-up and leave MGS forever with one more, huge fake-out.

Thulsa Hex says:

The fake-out is that there is no fake-out :o

12. TheSplund says:

tbh I played the demo thing they released recently and thought it was fairly unexciting, and (looking for the usual comparison one tends to do) inferior to even the worst Splinter Cell (and it didn’t even look that great maxxed out on a GTX970).

• Deadly Sinner says:

Few games are worse than the 360/PC version of Double Agent.

13. Medit8tor says:

I bought a second NVidia card just to get MGS5 for free…and go SLI, accessorily…
    On a side note: long-time lurker’s first comment here, hi community *waves*

14. Cheese2299 says:

Anyone know if this will run on an Asus G751JY? I’m a little worried about the processor. Any help would be appreciated! Laptop: link to amazon.com

15. Synesthesia says:

Fucking Konami. Fuck Konami.

Are there any rumors as to what is Kojima going to be doing next? While I really feel the death of MGS, (and don’t even get me started about my silent hills) I’d love to see what he has in mind, away from the usual franchises.

16. RayEllis says:

I suppose it’s a measure of my distrust of Konami that I read the news that the three formats are going to release on the same day and I think:

“The game is shit and they want to rake in as much cash as possible before the word gets out, so people won’t cancel their PC pre-orders.”

Can’t trust Konami…

17. vorador says:

Extremely likely this will be the last time Konami sees my money (and that depends on reviews, not going to take a bullet), since all things point to the disbandment of Kojima Productions once this is done. Sigh.

AFAIK Konami released a F2P app on Japan that raked cash massively with minimum effort, and management decided to focus on the freemium market by the way of screwing up all existing employees and basically destroying 30 years of legacy.

Seems like they don’t realize the F2P/mobile market is very fickle. Just look at Zinga and Rovio.