Halo Wars 2 Coming From The Creative Assembly

Here’s an interesting one: Halo Wars 2, which is the sequel to original the Halo-centric RTS game that came to 360 systems in 2009, is coming to both Xbox One and Windows 10 next autumn.

The original Halo Wars was the final game from Age of Empires creators Ensemble Studios, but this sequel is being made by another lot of RTS veterans: Total War folks The Creative Assembly (with help from Halo caretakers 343 Industries). Microsoft today announced the game with a teaser trailer, which you can watch below.

Sadly details are scant but more info is likely to rear its head in the coming days as RPS goes deeper into the Gamescom trenches. Gleam what you can from the announcement

The video, which is just over a minute-long, gives you a nice CGI-heavy view of human soldiers evacuating a dimly lit combat zone before one is knocked out by a big ol’ guy off screen. If you can tell me who the guy at the end of the teaser is you’ll have good vibes coming your way, but until then I’m just going to assume his name is Ziggy, and he just wanted to grow up to become a dancer.

1. Awesomeclaw says:

If Microsoft think this will persuade me to upgrade to W10, they are going to be disappointed.

• FreeTom says:

Hmmm, it now occurs to me they’re going to keep trying, though.

Not that their PC game output has been anything to covet in recent years, but I fully expect what little they do give us to be W10-only from here on out.

• subedii says:

Yeah. Pretty sure Gears of War Remastered is W10 exclusive as well.

Reminds me of Halo 2 and Vista. IIRC someone got it running on XP, there wasn’t really a technical issue preventing it as such.

• SuicideKing says:

It is most likely Win10 exclusive, though they did mention Steam so…I don’t know. If it uses D3D12 then it’ll need Windows 10.

• Punning Pundit says:

Seems like getting everyone on the Win10 train would be beneficial to developers as well as Microsoft. Whether it turns out to be a good enough OS to warrant mass adoption is another question entirely.

Hammer says:

The first one was enjoyable, but could have done with more challenge. The giant Scrab tank was great fun to play with though.

• Unclepauly says:

Yeah it was a simple matter of 1st to upgrade to the super weapon wins usually.

3. SMGreer says:

First one was a great wee game with a nice emphasis on micro-management. Not the best RTS ever but a very enjoyable game all the same.

Of course I’m a daft Halo fan so it might just be my biases talking. Still, I welcome a second.

Ste says:

Surely Ziggy played guitar……

5. king0zymandias says:

I wish they would make a Medieval 3 instead.

6. XhomeB says:

The original was one of the most primitive RTS-es the world has ever seen, even compared to the simplest out there. ALL UNITS–>Attack-move, occasionally click on stuff. Unless you were totally unfamiliar with gamepads, it was impossible to lose.
    Considering CA’s track record when it comes to console releases (Alien Isolation is the only thing that didn’t suck), Windows 10 exclusivity and sacrifices when it comes to design necessary to make the game work on the console, I’m not holding my breath. It’ll probably be fun all things considered, but nothing more than that.

7. Wetcoaster says:

I thought that Relic would’ve been the natural Sega studio to partner with, at least given the closer similarities the setting has with Company of Heroes or Dawn of War 2 than Total Waaagh: Historical Waaaghface

8. Vandelay says:

I am getting more and more certain that Microsoft just want to mock PC gamers with every version of Halo that is not an FPS.

9. solahart says:

I suppose Ziggy could have still jammed good with Weird and Gilly, even if he was a dancer.

10. gunny1993 says:

Huh, If I had a list of thing I don’t expect to hear, this would not be on it …. because the idea wouldn’t have crossed my mind.

11. welverin says:

What I gather from this news is that by the end of 2016 Creative Assembly will no longer exist, I hope everyone working starts looking for new jobs soon.

12. The_invalid says:

I do find it bizarre and puzzling that Microsoft seem so determined to keep the central Halo series off PC, yet commission a successor to Halo Wars, which was by all counts a pretty mediocre strategy game. The Creative Assembly’s last attempt at a console-focused RTS was Stormrise, which was by all counts, a complete and utter shambles.

In short, I have no clue what the hell Microsoft are thinking.

• SuicideKing says:

“We are proud to expand our corporate vision by announcing our GaaS model…”

13. SuicideKing says:

On one hand it’s a Halo RTS on the PC. On the other it’s CA.

• Asurmen says:

I can’t actually tell in that sentence which is the plus and which is the minus.

• SuicideKing says:

Lol. Halo RTS is the plus. My first and last CA game so far has been TW: Rome II.

14. zero95lucky says:

Anyone else concerned by Creative Assembly’s involvement in this project, after what was arguably a total screw up of ROME TW II and the DLC nightmare that was Attila.
    Really I was excited and glad to see this strategy spin-off of HALO was still alive for people who enjoy shooters and strategy, especially given the reception of the first title.
    I just got this sense of dread when I saw creatives logo after 343’s like, “wait, I recognize them, and not for good reasons.”

15. Da5e says:

“Announce Teaser”

*twitches*

16. Zephro says:

Funny how Sega’s logo is nowhere to be seen in that trailer.

Also Windows 10 exclusive… I think I’ll skip giving MS any more money.

17. Nereus says:

I have faith in CA, I’m much more inclined to chalk their failures up to SEGA executives barging in and demanding things in the vein of an autistic boy with little concept of how things actually work. MORE BOATS! MAKE THAT SWORD GUY BIGGER! PUT GUNS ON THAT ELEPHANT!

They certainly seem to have been happy to do that with some of their other games, *cough* Sonic *cough*.

That said, I don’t plan on buying this anytime soon. I have way too many older games from the Windows Vista Era that I need to finish before I give up on W7. When I have games I know I will like vs games you say I might like against my better judgement, clear winner.