Vive! Homefront: The Revolution Reappears With Trailer

This is artwork, not a screenshot, obvs.

Face-shooting Red Dawn fanfic Homefront: The Revolution [official site] has had a funny old time. After shutting down Homefront creator Kaos Studios, publishers THQ turned to their Montreal studio for the sequel, then looked to Crytek UK as THQ fell apart. Crytek bought the game and rights in the THQ fire sale and revealed the game at E3 2014. Less than two months later, suffering their own financial problems, Crytek sold Homefront to Deep Silver and shifted the dev team over. Strange times.

Now Homefront: The Revolution has resurfaced at Gamescom, with a new cinematic trailer showing how happy everyone in Philadelphia is living under Korean rule:

I don’t want to be the first one to call a scared, coerced child a “traitor” but isn’t this dreadful child a damned traitor? Honestly, the youth of today! I imagine this oik is somehow important and we’ll find out all about him, though; perhaps we play his dad. Tch, kids.

In contrast to its linear predecessor, Homefront: The Revolution is a sandbox open-world game about taking Philadelphia back from its occupiers piece by piece. Do check out what we made of what we played last year. Perhaps one of our roving Gamescom reporters (Adam’s rocking an Anneka Rice-esque boiler suit, while Graham’s glam look draws inspiration from Denise Van Outen) will have a play of what it is now.

The game’s due in launch in spring 2016.

1. Turkey says:

Is this a sequel to The Interview?

2. acoff001 says:

The plot to these games is extremely silly. The idea of North Korea conquering anything, much less the entire United States, is totally ludicrous (it’s pretty obvious that the bad guys were really supposed to be China anyway). That being said, the gameplay might be neat.

• J Arcane says:

This. The Red Dawn angle is just cringeworthy as fuck.

Shooters manage to find a way to make even a game about revolution a defense of the American establishment.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

The idea of running around in some kind of American flag cosplay in the name of liberty is somewhere between hilarious and nauseating.

• TK-093 says:

They use North Korea instead of China because they want to be able to sell the game in China. That’s the exact reason they made North Korea the bad guy in the stupid Red Dawn remake… they wanted to release the movie in China and feared they would not make any cash if the bad guy was China.

• skyturnedred says:

Should’ve just stuck with the Soviet Union.

• acoff001 says:

I get (and even support) the economic argument of not offending one of our biggest trade partners. But honestly, I really doubt that there will be a large percentage of Chinese gamers rushing to play this either way, and if they’re going to set up a scenario so implausible they might as well go ahead and use a fictional country instead.

• Kollega says:

Honestly, the game would be more realistic if the United States got taken over and held in tyrannical grip by the Republic of Molossia, or the Principality of Sealand, or Hannah Montana, or Chuck E. Cheese’s.

• geisler says:

I wonder though, aren’t most people commenting here from GB? Pretty hypocritical comments going on here if so, pots and black kettles and such.

• Chaz says:

Hypocritical, how so?

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

It’s possible to see problems with more than one thing.

• acoff001 says:

I’m from the US. Besides, I’d think it was just as silly if it were the UK getting invaded by North Korea.

• drewski says:

Mind you, in videogame land apparently private Russian armies exist that can invade the US mainland so really, North Korea’s positively plausible compared to that.

• El_MUERkO says:

Don’t worry American, your army is all powerful and we puny North Koreans have no rclone super soldier compound hidden in a Mexican desert producing millions of compassion-less killers, you have nothing to fear, continue watching American Idol.

• Ultra Superior says:

Hmm, drones, militarized police, lemme think…

Change the red star to a federal flag, name it “REVOLUTION: The repeal of 2nd Amendment” and you got yourself a plausible story.

• Carlos Danger says:

Yeah you have to question a the merits of a story of defiance considering they were to scared to have that story make sense.

So yeah North Korea Is the bad guy because actually using the real bad guy would have bad consequences and that is too scary for them.

They should have made a video game where you play part of the occupying force and seek to squash they rebellion as they would probably relate to it better.

• tewkesape says:

To be fair the actual storyline from the original is actually slightly more believable, if only slight. It’s not North Korea, but rather a reunified Korea (so both north and south) that have gradually taken over a sizeable portion of the pacific (including Japan and Papua New Guinea). Meanwhile the US has receded from the East Asian theatre and lost a lot of military power.
      The idea is that, roughly ten years from now, Korea performs a mass hacking and detonates a very sizeable EMP which effects the entirety of the contiguous united states. They solidify their position by posioning the area around the mississippi river with radiation poisoning.

It’s still a little fantastical and unlikely, but certainly more so than. “North korea takes over teh world”

3. walrus1 says:

It’s a video game. Is it any less ridiculous than fighting a dragon or flying in a space ship?

• Zenicetus says:

The closer your world-building is to present day geopolitics, the less slack you have for creating wildly implausible scenarios.

• Turkey says:

Every time you conquer a base you get a little sting from “Born in the USA.”

• walrus1 says:

I never accepted that. It’s a video game not a documentary. Suspend your disbelief and enjoy the ride.

• Arglebargle says:

I once worked with an acclaimed SF author. He told me to never ask your readers to accept more than one impossible thing.

This game has a bit more than that. To the point where I would rather ‘old on to wallet’ for a good game rather than ‘go with the flow’ for a ludicrous one.

• hungrycookpot says:

North Korea has had a large cash/tech infusion and modernized/mobilized it’s existing million+ man army.

What was the second incredible occurrence here?

4. cqdemal says:

This is basically Far Cry in a city with some Watch Dogs gadgets but by Deep Silver.

5. king0zymandias says:

The unfettered jingoism has left me feeling a little sick. And I hate what North Korea represents as much as the next guy.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

I keep looking for the tiniest signs that anyone involved in development is aware of the irony of what they’re proposing.

• Kollega says:

And I wonder why ambushes, IEDs, and other blatantly terrorist methods are okay to use against the military dictatorship that is North Korea, but wouldn’t be okay to use against, for example, President Evil who took over the country with a military coup, trashed the U.S. constitution, and declared himself president-for-life. Even if I don’t have a high opinion on patriotism, I’m sure that real patriots valuing the freedom of their country would not put up with dictatorship, no matter where it comes from.

I mean, I get why the developers don’t want to even approach this topic, but in the situation we have, even the occupation of the U.S. by the Soviet military from a parallel universe seems more plausible. So hell, if you don’t want to give us “Big Bad subverts the US government and it’s up to the people to set things straight, Founding Fathers-style” plot, then give us anything else than conquest of the U.S. by goddamn North Korea!

• walrus1 says:

Woah! There was a military coup in the U.S.? When did this happen?!

Harlander says:

It’s a parallel universe where the Business Plot actually happened.

Sounds like an interesting setting for man-shoots to me

• Smion says:

It might have something to do with the fact that, if 9/11 hadn’t happened, people who believed that some variation of your hypothetical setting was actually occuring, would be leading the list of most lethal perpetrators of terrorist attacks on US soil and that people who believe that some variation of your hypothetical scenarios is currently occuring or threatening to occur, lest some brave soul with a truckload of explosives or a Cessna does something about it, get arrested before they can pull off or fail to do much damage with their attacks at a fairly regular rate, even though they might not currently attract the same amount of media attention as similar attacks with a presumably extremist muslim background would.

As for plausibility: who cares, really? I doubt plausibility took precedence over the desire to create a striking aesthetic and North Korea is about the only place left that still has one of those, is known to the general member of the audience, is “known” to be a bad guy, whose ruling ideology doesn’t claim to be representative of the “true version” of one of the major world religions and which isn’t open for people who want to go on holiday there and maybe find out that the people living there are actually human beings and not part of some faceless asiatic horde. Of course the scenario is silly, but so is the Nazis winning World War 2 and The New Order seemed to do pretty alright without everyone acting all smug about it.

• Shadow says:

Within the logistical implausibility of invading and holding the United States, Nazi Germany winning WW2 in Europe and doing it is far more plausible than broke, comparatively primitive North Korea doing the same (let alone occupy it for any length of time).

Personally, I value plausibility and don’t judge every game through the same lens with a simplistic “it’s just a game” rationale. Some of us get an extra kick when the material has a plausible connection with the real world. That’s not to say I wouldn’t enjoy, say, a Lord of the Rings or Star Wars game, but I don’t expect everything to be total fantasy.

• Shadow says:

Also personally, I’d find it more interesting if the fight were against a totalitarian government which rose from within the United States (yes, even that is more plausible than NK taking over). But I suppose that’s too controversial and far more difficult than going down the black-white road and picking an almost cartoony villain with no redeemable qualities. Thought is not something Homefront seeks to provoke.

• medwards says:

I bet there’s harsh little Black Lives Matter remix somewhere in this trailer…

6. Spider Jerusalem says:

Can we just get a Freedom Fighters 2?

Please?

7. mansemat says:

“Thanks” for making me realise that this isn’t that… I was under the impression it was… until now.
    Dream shattered.

8. Gap Gen says:

SKY SURVEILLANCE WHALE HAD A LOVELY NAP, IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING.

SKY SURVEILLANCE WHALE STILL CARES.

Risingson says:

About the story: I would love something to what was done in the original Red Dawn: an absurd plot, evil guys that became spanish, chinese or russian depending on random moments, some nice exploit scenes and everything directed by John Milius with the same seriousness and aplomb as he was filming a David Lean epic (which makes some bits look absurdly awesome). If you are going to play that route, play it until the very end.

Harlander says:

Aren’t they meant to be Cuban?

Risingson says:

I really cannot remember. I remember the evil guys being in theory all kind of communists at the same time, but then the spanish accents being as weird as the ones in Resident Evil 4.

(Do I really want to rewatch Red Dawn?)

10. Wurstwaffel says:

When playing the first one I had a feeling that everything good about it was copied from CoD and the like. That said, I think I remember it to be a reasonably enjoyable game. I do enjoy the fantasy of a free-world-country being taken over and you having to fight to take it back, even with a plot as far-fetched as that of homefront. I think it’s a similar atmosphere to that of WW2 games that aren’t set in war zones, like the Saboteur, or the sneakier levels of Return to Castle Wolfenstein (haven’t played the new ones yet).

11. vlonk says:

Who is the target demographic for this patriotic prop-piece? The irony of americans maybe wanting to play a game where they are getting occupied by foreign soldiers and now worship the armed, violent bomb-placing terrorist resistance is mindboggling, bordering on Stockholm-syndrome. But I am from Yurop, what do I know…

I assume X-Com 2, which has a very similar plot of a resistance/terrorist cell against the occupying ALIENS, will have the more believable storyline…

Risingson says:

Actually the theme is very old and inherent to the occidental pop culture (another country invading you and getting rid of all your symbols). I do not only find it amusing, but interesting on how it reflects so many things about wars, fears and so on. Or if not you can do it in a goofy way: Red Alert 2 played this card pretty perfectly, I think.

Risingson says:

“Another country invading you”. I wanted to go deeper in this and did not know how to do that, but let’s say that I enjoy inmensely the irrational fears of immigration. We are getting invaded by other cultures! They are going to turn us into their religion! They are going to burn our books! When it’s so gloriously explicit I find it a feast: it turns into a comedy. Many classic movies know about that.

• vlonk says:

If you phrase it like this I can understand the joy you are taking and I can very much relate to that. There is good fun in watching a culture piece and turning its premise on its head like watching a badly made horror movie and treating it as a comedy. At least Homefront seems to turn out a “pure” ideologic piece. It is not grey, not faceted or many-faced, not rooted in reality or history, so it lends itself to be turned on its head.

But this trailer seems to take itself serious and that puts it on the level of slightly scary Donald Trump rethoric (which is also immensely fun to witness as a bystander from Yurop). Then again Mr. Trump is leading some polls in the GOP race right now, so maybe there is a ultra-conservative market for Homefront.

12. Hideous Z says:

Population of North Korea: ~25 million

Population of the United States: ~300 million

I’m all for alternate universes and what ifs…but even an attack by NK on the US is a little hard to believe. A full occupation/takeover? They wouldn’t even have the manpower to control a single state, much less the entire country…

Maybe this is set in a distant future where all Americans are required to weigh at least 600 pounds to retain citizenship?