Blueprints: LEGO Worlds’ Future Plans

‘Minecraft with LEGO’ is something folks have wished for since, well, before Minecraft existed. LEGO Worlds [official site] is living that dream – or technically is chasing it, as it’s still on Steam Early Access and missing a fair few features. Now it’s been out for two months (it’s limited but pretty fun sez Marsh), developers TT Games have shared their plans for future updates and additions.

It sounds like it’ll be a fair while before online multiplayer is added.

The dev update explains:

“Our engine was initially designed to be used as a single machine, local co-op experience. That means all of the old mechanics we designed were never programmed with networking in mind, which means that when we made our first efforts to do so, there was a lot of issues with it. As we’re now able to start the work on something incredibly new, we’ve begun the process of ensuring that all the new mechanics in Worlds are designed and coded with networking in mind. There’s a lot of testing required here before we can roll anything out to the community, but it is something we’re taking seriously and actively working on because it’s part of the core appeal – building together!”

They’re planning split-screen multiplayer too, as well as underwater exploration with underwater vehicles, a map and waypoints to aid navigation, more camera modes and options, procedural towns and settlements, and a new skybox. No firm word on when any of these things will come, though.

LEGO Worlds is on Steam Early Access for £11.99. As ever with Early Access games, I’ll say to think whether you’d be content with your purchase if it were never updated again.

1. eggy toast says:

Does the drill car dynamically drill through the lego block mountain, or is it just a prop?

• binkbenc says:

Yep, you can drill straight into mountains. Other vehicles/mounts have this ability, too.

• Jekhar says:

It actually drills. Normally just straight ahead, but can change the elevation by holding a button for “up” or “down”. There are other vehicles for landscaping, like the Bulldozer, who flattens terrain.

2. TWChristine says:

“As ever with Early Access games, I’ll say to think whether you’d be content with your purchase if it were never updated again.”

A fair statement. Honestly, I kind of think it was a waste for me to go ahead and buy it, but I also realize this is probably because despite how much I absolutely LOVE Lego, I have a really hard time getting into games like this (and Minecraft); which at the same time is strange, because I don’t know how many hours I’ve sunk into LDraw..

Really, if what you wanted was the Lego version of Minecraft, it’s essentially already there; you can build brick by brick if you so desire, and the basics are all there. True, you might not have all of the themes just yet, but I would imagine the majority of Legomaniacs would feel quite at home.

• GameCat says:

I’m a huge fan of LEGO too, but I didn’t found this game compeling at all.
      I think there’s just too much hassle to build something brick by brick, especially when LEGO strength lies in a small, specialised bricks as opposed to Minecraft’s mostly uniform big blocks.

• Kempston Wiggler says:

Why have I never seen the word “Legomaniac” before now??? It’s….perfect.

3. Lobotomist says:

Props to devs for listening to community.

I posted on steam forums how my kid got nausea from playing the game. Few minutes after devs answered , thanked me for the feedbac ( admited they didnt think about it ) and promised to look into it.

Few patches after you can really notice lot of effort is going into fixing the problem. (Like camera modes, etc)

4. nottorp says:

I doubt anything good will ever happen with the multiplayer, and the reason is here:
    link to eurogamer.net
    I bet 10 eurocents that the online interaction will be so kid friendly no kid will like it :)

5. Arcade Grenade says:

We’re so excited for this. We hope they release a Mac version too!

6. Turkey says:

This whole thing seems so half-assed and shady. It’s like you’re paying for the R&D of an idea that the publisher and Lego doesn’t fully believe in or want to commit to. I guess I’m not saying anything new here, but I still don’t know how I feel about big publishers going the Early Access route.

• eggy toast says:

I agree 100%, also the last official Lego MMO went up in a cloud of abandonment so quickly that buying this one seems like a fools gambit.

7. mtomto says:

The “game” has zero gameplay… it is in fact “just” Lego… I don’t know if that is the goal, but why??!

• TWChristine says:

I think part of it is because instead of grabbing hold of a Lego car and making vehicle sounds with your mouth as you push it around, you can…drive a Lego car! Or, take the title image, instead of having your drilling machine “drill” through blankets, you can actually drill through Lego countryside. I think that has more than a bit of interest-factor going for it.

• death_au says:

You could say the same of Minecraft, and look at the success that’s become. Once their procedural generation gets better and there are things worth discovering to make exploration worthwhile, and multiplayer comes into it with people exploring and building together, the game will start to appear.
      Personally, I would prefer some more to it which is why I never got into minecraft, but even the ability to build things you’ll never be able to afford the bricks for is draw enough. Actually seeing your construction in minifig scale and interacting with it is awesome, too. While it’s not on the roadmap for now, I hope one day they can introduce power functions / mindstorms type pieces to make things move. Then things would REALLY get interesting.

8. AbyssUK says:

Also think about it.. you make things in this that you can actually buy… I forsee in the future a buy model button which automagically orders all the lego bricks/items you need to actually make your model at home.