Blasted: Star Wars Battlefront Dogfighting Mode Teased

Star Wars Battlefront‘s [official site] newly announced team deathmatch Mode goes by the name of Blast and pits 10 against 10 in hot rebel v. empire close-quarter action, according to details coming down from on high by way of Lead Level Designer Dennis Brännvall. It’s one of two modes EA’s alluded to in the run up to Gamescom – The other is something they’re keeping relatively mum about: X-Wing dogfights, or, well possibly.

EA took to Facebook to sort-of-mention-but-not-properly-announce a dogfighting mode named Fighter Squadron through a short trailer. But don’t expect any more info until EA’s Gamescom event which takes place on Wednesday at 9am UK time.

I say that, they have recently confirmed a different new mode over on the game’s official site. “Blast” is essentially a short-burst kill-em-up: the winning team is determined by either reaching 100 kills or just by ending the 10-minute round ahead of their opposition.

Which means, in beauteous list format, the confirmed game modes for Star Wars Battlefront are as follows:

Walker Assault
Fighter Squadron
Supremacy
Blast Mode
Drop Zone
Cargo
Missions
Survival

The game’s scheduled to hit this November, but expect more info this week.

1. spaced says:

I’ve never pre-ordered a game in my life, but this one is sadly pushing all my buttons…
    EA is a company I can trust, right?

• Baines says:

EA published Sim City, so maybe not.

Of course the developer can be more important than the publisher when it comes to quality (excepting when the game is quietly outsourced and you don’t know the real developer). That would be DICE.

DICE developed Battlefield 4, which was rather famous for being something of a mess at launch. So the answer is still “maybe not”.

Currently, the preorder bonus is just getting access to one of the maps a week early, isn’t it? So there really isn’t any big reason to pre-order. Of course if you know that you will be buying the game almost immediately after release even if it is mediocre and/or really buggy, then I guess there is arguably little reason not to pre-order as well.

• SaintAn says:

I hope your whole comment was sarcasm.

• Tiax says:

Even if it’s the best game you’ll ever play, why the hell would you preorder it ?

• Xzi says:

“EA is a company I can trust, right?” Kappa

As much as this looks better than most of EA’s samey shooters, I’ll probably pass. So many modes means you’ll only be able to find games within a reasonable time frame for a couple of them. And that will probably happen within mere months of release. But on the off chance that it does turn out to be good and servers stay populated for more than a couple months, I would maybe buy it on sale. It’s pretty unlikely EA would give it a decent sale if it is that popular/successful, though, so just another reason to wait and see/

• Holderist says:

You should be able to filter your game search according to whichever game mode you want in their server browser thing-a-ma-jig. DICE have been good in that regard (caveat: haven’t played any of the games since BF3 came out).

Battlefront looks/sounds great on paper, but I’d definitely wait for reviews and the post-first week-month server issues that will inevitably crop up.

• SanguineAngel says:

I think Xzi means that, as happens with these games frequently, people only really play a few of the game modes in numbers so finding a server if you happen to prefer a less popular mode becomes frustrating

• Cinek says:

Few? I see an optimist here. Usually it’s 1 or 2 modes. And not months after the release, but rather days, maybe weeks. Servers with random modes bring some change of pace, but their life cycle is usually that: random groups of people -> only trolls left -> server dies / switches to the most popular game mode.

2. James says:

I really jsut want to see some proper, non-scripted gameplay. I just don’t trust EA not to mess this up. Little things like fighters spawning in hangers rather than from the arse of powerups, for instance. I want the standard guns to fire slightly too slowly for the spray and pray twitch matches that have turned me off FPS multiplayer games (in other news: I love Verdun). I just don’t think they’ve put that sort of thought into the game from what I have seen so far.

3. neoncat says:

le sigh, so many complicated modes… I just want a return to the fun, blast-em-up capture-the-bases of the originals.

(And local multiplayer. Why are there no more FPS with local multiplayer?)

• ZPG Lazarus says:

Same. Running around small TDM and chasing an endless flow of “+10’s” and relentless unlocks like a IV line to your character isn’t Star Wars or Battlefront. It’s being a lone, unimportant soldier on a Star Wars Battlefront.

Of course you could’ve said the same thing about Battlefield before the team winning meant more than the player winning. Guess times change.

4. BuckNasty84 says:

I’m unironically wanting this game to be pretty good so the inevitable complete edition will be worth a play.

5. Gap Gen says:

If Star Wars is based heavily on WWII films, why not reskin a WWII flight sim for it? Stuff like gaining altitude and fighter tactics would be pretty sweet even in a sci-fi setting. Playing War Thunder on a night map with tracers on is basically most of the way there.

6. Henas says:

Looking at the image…so Greedo shot first?

7. Buggery says:

Star Wars!? Video Game!?

*vomits candy floss all over shoes*

*is a literal child*

(only children care about Star Wars)

(Hopefully they make a game mode where everyone is Jar-Jar Binks and where you capture tiny frogs with your crazy tongue)

• Cinek says:

Let me guess: you just had your 18th birthday yesterday, and now pose for a “serious adult”?

• Buggery says:

Lol no I am 12 years old and that is why I am excited about a Star Wars. Pew pew pew!

For real though, make a Jar Jar Binks gameplay mode and I’ll buy this.

8. Loyal_Viggo says:

By the Beard of Zeus why would anyone want to buy this emasculated version when compared w/ the 2005 version of Battlefront II?

Just google ‘Star Wars Battlefront differences’ for some excellent, informative, and sad comparisons about the boatload of stuff in the 2005 game versus what EA are so generously proposing to give in the 2015.

Not to mention the userbase fragmentation from map DLC’s and all these game modes.

9. tonicer says:

Please guys don’t pre-order this i know it’s difficult … i’m a star wars fan like everyone else … but listen to me.

This is basically a Battlefield 4 mod which means you can not host your own server or play offline with bots like in previous sw:battlefront games. This is a game that will die when they decide to close the servers. So don’t waste your money.

It looks pretty on the outside but is probably a giant mess inside where you have to unlock weapons and so on, don’t have access to the dedicated server files for a private server to play on with buddies at LAN partys or over the internet with bots to fill up the ranks and a hundred DLC’s.