Homefront: The Revolution Looks A Far Cry From The First

“Hullo!” hollered Homefront: The Revolution [official site] yesterday, poking its head in the door and waving a cinematic trailer in its hand. “Just thought I’d remind you after I exist! After all those troubles… you do remember I was bounced from company to company, don’t you? Didn’t think you’d check in on me? Make sure I hadn’t slipped in the shower? No, no. Anyway, hi, bye.”

Today it batters down your door riding a sweet hog, looking a dapper from its knapper to its feet, with a gameplay trailer to show how the open-world FPS is looking now:

Fun enough, is how it looks. Also, quite grey. And, an awful lot like a modern Far Cry game.

The video’s showing off a mission named Guerrilla Training, so I suspect later ones will hold your hand and nag you less. Still, within a fairly linear mission it shows a fair amount of dicking about your way, being sneaky, driving RC cars, riding a motorbike around, hacking computers, gathering crafting materials (including swiping $5 from a drone’s hoverpockets), murdering the heck out a load of folks, and ultimately taking over an outpost.

The game’s due in spring 2016. If Far Cry is content to lark about in big wild landscapes, I’m happy to give Homefront a go for open-city action.

1. dontnormally says:

A modern urban / post-disaster / insurgency-situation Far Cry sounds just grand, actually.

Qazinsky says:

Agreed, I personally prefer running around in sandbox cities than in nature so it’s nice to see a city based Far Cry like game.

• Stevostin says:

Also anything with a non ridiculous story would be welcomed, although this one does not look it intends to pull that out either.

2. Bullitt says:

I feel like I can’t post “meh”, because it makes me look lazy. But come on… When are developers going to start making new interesting FPS games again. Stop making CoD clones guys!

3. Ultra Superior says:

Wow, North Koreans are fracking right in the middle of a city.

Is there going to be some kind of Shamalayan plot twist at the end, where you find out the North Koreans are in fact Bush-Cheney’s private army, only outsourced to china?

• Ultra Superior says:

*Shyamalan

• imperialus says:

There’s actually a real world reason why North Korea are the invaders.

When the Red Dawn movie remake was filming the enemy was originally supposed to be China. However, the producers wanted to get the movie released in China since it is the second largest (and fastest growing) consumer of movie tickets. As such they played nicy-nice with the CPC censors and went back to digitally edit the movie post production and change the baddies into North Koreans…

The irony is that it still wasn’t approved for release in China.

4. montorsi says:

The bouncy run animations look goofy and the voice acting may have given me cancer, but everything else looks okay. I’ll give it another look closer to release, I expect.

5. Ross Angus says:

I’m just pleased that Sky Whale has survived the studio transitions. I loves me some Sky Whale.

6. Geebs says:

Man, that is Turok levels of distance fog.

7. Universal Quitter says:

You accidentally left in one too many “afters,” I think. Like you rewrote the sentence, but didn’t quite clean it up.

Do the actual articles not have an edit feature, either? That’s be funny.

8. Lord_Mordja says:

This looks like to Far Cry what the first game was to COD: a kind of cheap, awkward looking derivative. Maybe it was just a bad video, but both the movement and gunplay seem like they lack weight. Check out the part where he jumps off the bike as it’s moving and ask yourself “what momentum?”

9. Tuor says:

Weren’t these the guys who made a video game about being gutsy in the face of adversity, but then changed the nationality of the bad guys when the Chinese got upset about it? Pathetic.

• horrorgasm says:

By “these guys”, you mean the people who made the first game, publisher THQ and developer Kaos Studios? Neither of which exist anymore? Those guys?

• Tuor says:

Yes, I meant those guys. So this was created by entirely different guys then? Hmm… maybe it’s not auto-non-purchase for me, then.

10. merzbau says:

I don’t expect much narrative-wise after the first game’s repulsive John Milius…ness, but I’m actually pretty psyched as a Philadelphian to see how the level design turns out. I can’t say “generic warehouse district with distressingly generic skyline/skybox” is a great start, but I remain hopeful that I’ll get to lay siege to the Museum of Art (and my own neighborhood just a short walk away!) or at the very least just sit and watch the Comcast building implode in slow-motion.

• EhexT says:

I wouldn’t expect too much in terms of landmarks – ironically public buildings are trademarked, and developers have to pay a lot of money to include them. Many games set in real locations are exercises in “how close can we make it in terms of visuals and naming before we have to pay for it”.

• Neutrino says:

Wow. Are certain shaped clouds also trademarked in the US?

• PopeRatzo says:

I just want to know if I’ll be able to get a cheese steak and a Nodding Head pils to wash it down.

11. Cryio says:

Modern day Far Cry?

I’d say open world Crysis 2.

AWESOMENESS.

12. liquidsoap89 says:

Aaaaaaand now I know I wont be buying this…

13. Sunjammer says:

Homefront can get in the fucking sea. European-built American-pandering completely unearned underdog fantasy about the D fucking P R K of all places. It’s like a big budget Russian game about being invaded and occupied by Chechnya. I fucking hate this series with a passion.

• Buggery says:

The first step great leader makes on invading the American pig-dog heartland is to ban all colours.

Play as terrorists FREEDOM FIGHTERS trying to take back your small, peaceful country from the colossal might of North Korea’s powerful fighting force.

Are you a bad enough dude to rescue liberty?

14. keeper2000 says:

Gun model 1/4 of the screen… as detailed as it is I would rather see what happening on the right side of the screen.

15. welverin says:

I find it interesting that the newspaper says ‘Philadelphia hogs this years football league winne..” and yet the picture is of the Steelers (that would be the Pittsburgh team).

• jonahcutter says:

Funny. I wonder if that’s a genuine mistake, or their lore actually says the Steelers moved to Philly because of the war.

Maybe the evil North Koreans occupiers forced the team to move. Evidence of their profound cruelty.

16. Hardlylikely says:

After hitchBOT was destroyed in Philadelphia this week the North Koreans are welcome to it.

17. Freud says:

Chase the waypoint gameplay. The hand holding in todays games takes most of the fun out of it.

Playing Dark Souls and Divinity: Original Sin, games that doesn’t spell everything out for you and doesn’t want to make everything about path of least resistance, is such a refreshing change.

• GameOverMan says:

Minimap: the game. There is a lot of smoke and debris, I’m not sure if I’ve killed those enemies. Oh, the red dots that indicated their position at all times have disappeared, so let’s hunt for more icons to clear.

18. Talbot says:

I’m terribly sorry to have to be so obtuse but this looks like a gigantic pile of *insert expletive*.

19. vlonk says:

At around 4:15 He killed the sniper within a second of the other terr..FREEDOM fighter commenting on this snipers immense fighting prowess. Seconds later after horribly burninating 2 other guards the third one just stands there, just stands and looks to the wrong direction before being pelted in the back with a shotgun by the player. Twice. This game needs some work if that trailer is the best case scenario they can present of it.

• Neutrino says:

I’m guessing it has to be that simple because it’s being developed primarily for console, with a shitty PC port tacked on the side.

20. RProxyOnly says:

NAPPER doesn’t have a silent ‘k’.