Run, Faith, Run: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Gameplay Trailer

BIF!

We got a little peek at Mirror’s Edge Catalyst [official site] during E3, with snippets of gameplay cut up and smooshed into a trailer form using the talking faces of DICE employees as vidglue. Don’t turn people into glue: it’s not fair to them, and it’s not kind to us.

Anyway, now a new Mirror’s Edge Catalyst trailer out of Gamescom shows a few minutes of gameplay with only weirdly clipped snippets of cinematics to interrupt. When they let Faith just run, jump, wall-run, wall-jump, and otherwise ‘do her thing’, it looks pretty swish:

Electronic Arts note that it’s “pre-alpha footage from a cut-down version of a full mission in the game”, which is why it has weird jarring transitions. Showing a straight section of the mission rather than trying to squeeze it all in would’ve been nicer but hey, it’s still pretty good.

What were you looking for in Mirror’s Edge Catalyst? What did you want changed from Mirror’s Edge? Does this look like it moving be going somewhere you fancy? Me, I mostly less finicky movement and no gunplay – and DICE have already said that Faith won’t use guns. As for the movement, ah, I’ll need to get my hands on it. Shame about the cinematic, non-first-person cutscenes, though.

The game’s due to launch on February 23rd, 2016.

1. Sp4rkR4t says:

It doesn’t seem that smooth yet, and the graphical style is off or perhaps just unfinished.

• The First Door says:

I was just thinking that! The graphical style doesn’t look quite right; it’s not as clean and iconic. Perhaps it doesn’t look as good at night?

• Syra says:

It’s all the new fangled shiney light and reflections imo. The original game was more stylised to work with the limitations of the technology.

• Muzman says:

The design is less uniquely hyper-realistic and a bit more ‘future city cool’ generic now. Which is a pity.
        I think those original visual designers have left Dice though

• PseudoKnight says:

In the trailer they disabled the red object hints. But the scenes are definitely busier than the pristine and eerily empty city of the original.

2. DaviDeMo says:

Well. If EA was not in my “No buy” list after the last 6 (shitty imho) games released I would buy it :-P

3. Morte66 says:

What I want is for those armed guards and combat to be an occasional thing, not the core of the gameplay. Spice, not meat. I’m not sure whether we’re going to get this.

• 7hink says:

I agree with this completely. Combat is probably a lot of fun according to EA so I’m going to wait for a review on this before buying for sure.

• DanMan says:

She should be able to turn invisible for a while, like Adam Jensen. That’d be a good way to avoid combat, but also hard to justify story-wise.

4. Troubletcat says:

I’m a bit disappointed about the removal of gunplay. There were certainly instances where it made the first game weaker, but I also have lots of good memories from the first game that involved shooting blokes combined with the game’s movement system. I would’ve greatly preferred better gunplay to no gunplay. But whatever, I loved the first game enough that that choice isn’t a dealbreaker by any means.

I found the movement in the first game to be mostly-not-finicky, myself, but there were certain instances where it was pretty awkward to get Faith to actually do what you wanted to do, certainly.

Watching that trailer, I think it actually looks great! My two biggest complaints would be:

A) Too much damn motion blur, but there’ll probably be an option to turn that off.
    B) Faith appears to be looking through a toilet paper roll for some reason, I sure hope there’s a FOV slider to fix that obviously glaringly wrong and broken design decision that game developers keep insisting on for some reason (brain damage?)

Other than that, I’m loving it!

• Qwentle says:

In relation to B), shows like this primarily cater to the console crowd. Consoles generally need smaller FoVs, given the purpose is to make you feel like the display is a window, rather than to see as much as possible (unless it’s a Multiplayer game, in which case every visual consideration goes out the window for gameplay advantage). Here’s a wonderful paint image on roughly why consoles have a smaller FoV:

It should definitely be configurable though, given not everyone sits the same distance from their TV.

• MrUnimport says:

Yeah, I rather agree. I’m going to kind of miss the choice to use guns, and it looks like they beefed up the kung fu to compensate for their absence which disappoints me slightly. Still looks pretty solid, though, and I’m relieved that the strong design sense has been preserved in the near-future transition.

5. Stijn says:

I don’t know, this doesn’t convince me, somehow. It doesn’t quite feel like the previous Mirror’s Edge. Wasn’t Faith supposed to be a courier rather than a thief?

I wonder to what extent this was actual gameplay instead of “mini-cutscenes”, for example when Faith opened that window on the side of the skyscraper. Getting control taken away from you at moments like that would be fairly jarring in an otherwise free-roaming game.

• skyturnedred says:

To me, it just seemed like the player pressed X to open it and that was just a regular opening animation.

• Frosty Grin says:

Feels very “cold” to me somehow. Maybe it’s all the bluish/purplish lighting, or the overall dystopian feeling. But the original Mirror’s Edge felt more joyful.

• gunny1993 says:

I think its just the all the textures have more depth, twinned with the darkness outside not setting out the whiteness of the setting that was in the first game.

6. SIDD says:

..and they changed the voice actress … not sure why that bothers me so much, but it just doesn’t sit right with me at all.

• Ross Angus says:

They also kind of changed her race.

• Gibs says:

Yes she def looked more…asian in the first game.

I dont really understand what’s the big idea in changing the model&voice of a well received and rather iconic character… Bah.

7. Pich says:

The kung-fu henchwoman is so obviously Faith’s sister.

Harlander says:

Unassuming-looking assistant dressed all in one colour suddenly busting out kung fu whispers “robot” to me…

• USER47 says:

Nah, the masked Sam Fisher guy will be Faith’s sister. And when Faith finds out, she goes back to rescue her from the secret underground facility when the sister is held by main villain, head of the evil corporation experimenting on humans for military purposes.

8. Jason Moyer says:

Other than using newer graphics tech and in-engine cutscenes, I’m not really seeing anything different than the first game here. For me, that’s a good thing.

9. JimThePea says:

I’m starting to warm to this, maybe it won’t disappoint. Looks a little too futuristic to me though, the original had more of an ultra-contemporary vision and felt like a reflection of the excesses of the modern surveillance state. Now it seems more like Minority Report than Enemy of the State.

• Kollega says:

And what I personally find even stranger is that this game is supposed to be a prequel. It doesn’t exactly make sense that in the original Mirror’s Edge, the police had contemporary-looking body armour and Black Hawks as air support, but here they have futuristic reflective visors and VTOL aircraft despite the game being set before the first one.

• JimThePea says:

I believe it’s supposed to be a reboot, since origin stories are everywhere these days and the story in the original game wasn’t too hot, they probably thought it was the smart thing to do. But if they haven’t improved the writing in Catalyst, the reboot approach will seem like a redundant choice made for shallow, stylistic purposes.

• Rizlar says:

And the style seems shallow too. As many people have picked up on in these comments – the original ME had a really striking design sense. This doesn’t seem to add anything other than the shiny, generic near-future guff that comes out of AAA gaming’s every orifice. Boring.

And that dialogue is indeed the worst. Guess we will see how it turns out anyway.

10. Zallgrin says:

I rather like the look of this!

As much as I hated the fiddly controls, the hard to parse levels, the frustration that came with the first Mirror’s Edge, I found myself liking it a lot. It had a really good sense of place and the running had a great feel to it. I cannot wait for Catalyst, as it seems it’s more of the same goodness!

11. pillot says:

GOTY2016

12. NicholasTimothyJones says:

But how does she manage to talk when you can hear her heavy breathing in the background?

13. cylentstorm says:

Loved the original. No guns? Good riddance, I say–running around like a reject from a John Woo flick didn’t really gel with the character of Faith, anyway. Can’t wait to get my grubby mitts on this and see if they managed to sand off the rough edges.

In regards to the overall style of the game, it does seem a bit darker, or less vibrant than its predecessor. It’s still early, though. Honestly, they had me at “open world,” although just how much freedom is available to the player remains to be seen.

14. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

While this game looks kind of fun, we are all blithely forgetting one thing. This is a game being made by EA. Sims 4, BF4, SimCity. Just last year we were all bitching about talking with our wallets and slagging EA off, now everyone’s all excited about this release? How fuckin stupid are we, people? Do not place your trust so easily!!

• jezcentral says:

Trust is not an issue. Just wait for the reviews, then decide.

15. MadZab says:

Is it just me or did they make her face look a bit less Asian?

I’m looking forward to more parcour and less gunplay, which didn’t fit the story that much anyways. If this is to be a prequel then I better not make Faith a spree-killer prior to the originals story-line…

16. Unclepauly says:

“Wait! We need him alive” Either the girl was a robot or the writing is dumb.

17. EhexT says:

Nothing ruins any excitement quite like seeing “Exlcusive In-Game Content!” at the end of a trailer. How about fuck you then and I’ll wait for the discount GotY edition so you get less money and I get every DLC without the hassle?

Don Reba says:

I don’t usually get motion sickness from trailers, but there it is. Hopefully, it won’t be a problem in the game; it wasn’t with the first one. Otherwise, I really like what I see!

• king0zymandias says:

Yeah, me too. I’m guessing it’s the limited FOV. Hopefully they will allow it to be changed. Otherwise I am out.

• Holderist says:

Felt a bit of the same. Here’s hoping there’s a 3rd person mod that’s released.

Liked the visual queue of her reaching to the pipe, letting you know you can jump to it and she’ll grab it.

19. Turkey says:

“Faith: We need you to break into an x-box.”

20. dskzero says:

It actually looks nice, (but why is it a gameplay trailer riddled with scripted sequences) but my gripe is that the city doesn’t feel as empty as the original, which was one of the things I loved about the first one, the sense of surreal solitude.

Otherwise, they might have toned down the firefight, but violence is now the number one way to get out of it apparently. Otherwise, it might be a decent game. The writing is pretty dumb though (“Faith, you don’t have to do this” come on).

Don Reba says:

The writing is pretty dumb though (“Faith, you don’t have to do this” come on).

I take it as keeping with the traditions. A sequel to a great game with dumb writing can get away with having dumb writing itself. It’s like I don’t complain about Adam Jenson stealing money from his friends in plain sight or picking beers from public toilet floors — it’s keeping with the traditions.

21. suibhne says:

The storytelling looks supremely clumsy, and it’s more than a little baffling that she’d infiltrate a big corp like that with no prep whatsoever, but the gameplay still looks like a blast.

22. MadPlague says:

It makes me sad the game still has uneven smoothness, the deceleration feeling after ending a slide is still there, the climbing after catching a high edge still feels too slow. I’m clearly nitpicking but it’s a shame the original game’s gameplay flaws weren’t addressed. In fact, it looks like the original game’s gameplay wasn’t changed at all, which is a pity for a 2016 sequel of a 2009 game.
    Though Frostbite’s mumbo-jumbo is definitely there, motion blur and lens flare all over the place.
    DICE please, instead of showing us how great your tools are, use them wisely. Lens flare could be used only when you’re being chased, reinforcing the feeling of being disoriented and well… chased.

• MadPlague says:

Forgot to mention I think the lil red light on the interceptors’ helmets are a nice touch. Seeing far-away red lights starting to converge towards you could be amazing in open areas.

• Muzman says:

“the deceleration feeling after ending a slide is still there”

As opposed to what though? That’s about what you’d expect.

23. Laurentius says:

Well. levels seems pretty cool. Apart from this I didn’t like a single thing in this trailer: stupid combat is back, probably even more so, Faith looks super wierd, her face is kinda way thinner then in ME and graphical style is less distinct, more DeasExy in a bland kind of way, meh…

• DanMan says:

I feel very “meh” about this as well. But then again, I’m crazy enough to think that this would work much better in 3rd person view. Especially when she does that roll after big jumps, I’m always going “nope” in my head.

Now stone me to death, Internet, because I won’t change my mind.

24. Deviija says:

It looks beautiful for the state of development it is in. I’m really excited and elated to have Faith back!

That said, I hope this is placeholder voice acting and not the real voice actress. It doesn’t sound right for Faith at all, imo.

25. fahrenheit451 says:

HUHUHHUHUHUHUHUH

26. Fernando says:

Amazing, but I nearly vomited!

27. tonicer says:

Oh man i had high hopes for this one. But it’s just another consolegame. PC only would have been so good to this franchise. Imagine how large the city and how awesome the overall game would be if it was PC only.