Soup’s Up: Nom Nom Galaxy Released

As far as I can tell, Nom Nom Galaxy [official site] is an unlicensed video game adaptation of The Clangers. Where did the Soup Dragon get all her delicious soup from? The answer, suggests Nom Nom Galaxy, is a sprawling underground complex of automated factories and defenses, teeming with drones doing her bidding.

The wildlife-juicing explore-o-build-a-craft-y-tower-defense formerly known as PixelJunk Inc. (and PixelJunk 1-6 before that) launched into Steam Early Access in March 2014, and finally left it to properly launch this week.

I do mean it about the soup, by the way. You’ll be exploring alien planets in search of flora and fauna to turn into delicious soup on a mission to become the biggest space-soup company.

It’s “a sandbox-styled mix of platforming, base building, tower defense, and good old fashioned monster-stomping!” say developers Q Games. “You’ll create huge factory-bases where you’ll experiment with tons of ingredients, make hundreds of types of soups to feed the galaxy, and rise in the ranks of the Soup Co.! Each planet will have its own challenges, from poisons gas to killer tomatoes.” It’s got four-player online co-op too.

A 20% launch discount for the first week brings it down to £5.59 on Steam. Have a launch trailer:

Harlander says:

I can’t help but feel like they’ve missed a trick by not having the soup represented as a physics-based fluid sloshing grossly around everywhere.

2. darkath says:

This won’t prevent me to buy the game, but it’s a sad missed opportunity indeed. No one told them about it ?

3. ebyronnelson says:

Sure, it’s a procedurally generated, retro-art, survival, roguelike, dwarf-fortress-like, tower defense, open world, mining, crafting, co-op, 4x, factory-building, lovable internet meme, early access indie game, but does it have squad-based tactics, physics-based puzzles, character/vehicle customization, and role-playing elements? That’s what I want to know …

• HuvaaKoodia says:

Exactly! “Squad-based tactics or no sell.” is my motto in this modern era of everything but the kitchen sink indie titles.

4. Awesomeclaw says:

I gave this a try just before it came out of early access. It’s pretty fun although I found it to be very slow, and I’m not sure that they way it breaks time up into separate days really makes sense either.

5. Frosty Grin says:

I really like this one. It’s fun, occasionally tense yet relaxing.

6. Turkey says:

I keep forgetting to check this one out. This and Darkest Dungeon.

• Jakkar says:

My advice would be to stick to the Dungeon. That game *hooks* you, through being wholly internally consistent, coherent. It flows.

This soup-quest is strangely bland. I can’t find the love for it in me. All the right components to be fun, but ultimately feels empty. Particularly once the combat kicks in. It has nothing in common with ‘PixelJunk’ as a style/franchise/legacy, and there’s no satisfaction to be had in its brief, rushed rounds and soft, incomprehensible yet simplistic combat.

7. Kollega says:

This… actually looks like something I could enjoy. Doesn’t look like they have a demo, sadly.

8. xfstef says:

The soup must flow …
    there, now I feel better about myself :D

9. Bugamn says:

What’s Cara’s opinion on the soup?