Legion Is The New WoW Expansion: New Class & Continent, 110 Level Cap

ALL THE MONEY

New factions?Some big old orcs vs humans reboot in order to bring it in line with the upcoming Warcraft movie? More bloody pandas? We shall know very soon what the new WoW expansion is. Within seconds, in fact: 5pm UK time is go time.

I’ll add full details about the expansion once we know them, but in the meantime you can watch the live (at the time of writing) announcement stream below.

Update: Details of what the expansion’s called and what’s in it below.

Update 2: full announcement trailer below

Here’s the trailer for World of Warcraft: Legion. Underneath is the still-ongoing livestream

Watch live video from BLIZZARD on www.twitch.tv

Notes:

Yeah, it’s Orc-centric. Something to do with rebuilding the Horde. A wee bit of civil war, maybe?

Both Alice and I agree that the presenter has really good hair.

The Blizzard guy less so.

Apparently people haven’t really guessed what it is yet.

Someone is getting resurrected by a Shaman. Presumably some familiar big bad? I haven’t played since the third expansion so don’t ask me!

The actual announcement trailer now. We should have a title soon, I guess.

“They were servants of a more ancient foe that has not forgetten our defiance.”

“The vengeance of the burning shadow has come.”

New continent: Broken Isles. Has talking trees!

Level cap to 110.

New dungeons and raids, obv, a new honor system and ‘artifact weapons.’

Class Order Halls.

New hero class: Daemon Hunter

The Burning Legion has returned. This is a very demonic expansion, essentially.

And the title: Legion. Seems a bit short, somehow?

It takes place on the Broken Isles, a region at the heart of Azeroth which is long forgotten. Used to be a vast, bustling Night Elf civilization.

A new continent, “a graveyard of sorts.”

“The Tomb of Sergeras”, a returning doohickey from Warcraft 3, is a gateway for those buggers from the Burning Legion.

It’s the Legion’s biggest invasion of Azeroth yet.

The events will start before the expansion launches. It’s like the assault on the dark portal for Warlords of Draenor.

“Every single person who’s played WoW in the last 5 to 10 years is going to be really, really surprised and shocked.”

“We will wake up to a world on fire.”

People are applauding some weapon names. OK!

We’ll see the story of the Daemon Hunters through Illidan’s eyes.

The producer is the least inspiring stage presence ever. Sorry, dude.

Seems like there’ll be more time travel/flashback shenanigans. Let there be no doubt: the lore has taken over entirely by this point.

The Titans are involved, the big guys and gals in the sky. We’re looking for the Pillars of Creation, relics which were used to shape the world when it was young, the only thing that can close the Legion’s gateway.

OK, it’s gone further into WoWgonksville than I can follow now. Will add condensed, less lore-riddled details as and when I know them!

Hammer says:

After leveling at least six characters through BC back in the day and a couple more recently, the last possible thing I’d want is more Burning Legion. At least there was no sign of deserts and not many floating islands.

2. Sian says:

Highly, highly unlikely. I stopped caring about the lore when Burning Crusade came out and I doubt that they can come up with a mechanic that will surprise or shock anyone.

• EhexT says:

No they’re absolutely right – I have played WoW 5 years ago and I’m shocked they’re still making that game.

3. Captain Joyless says:

i spent hours fishing looking for the ashbringer

10 years later they finally put it in the game

4. Freud says:

Hi my name if Freud. I have been clean from WoW for six years.

5. Xzi says:

Does this expansion make the game look like it was released later than 2005? No? Alright, I’ll show myself the door…

• TWChristine says:

I can’t think of many games where an expansion has jumped the graphics up a decade..

• Cryptoshrimp says:

Have you actually played the game after 2005?

• SaintAn says:

They’ve upgraded the graphics with every xpac,. WoD is really good looking and requires a pretty good PC to run maxed out. I think you just need a better PC if it doesn’t look good to you.

6. dontnormally says:

Hey, Warcraft 4 was announced?

Then, bugger off.

• Xzi says:

Also this.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Hey, charming person. Any new strategy games would be made by a different team, the one currently making Heroes of the Storm and Legacy of the Void. They’re kinda busy.

7. TWChristine says:

I feel like the main thing I’ve noticed people hoping for whenever the idea of a WoW expansion gets brought up (going back to before BC) is that they’ll make it about the Emerald Dream; six expansions now, and it still hasn’t been done so I guess we’re not going to see it after all :(

• Nevard says:

uh… the Emerald Dream IS in this expansion,

• TWChristine says:

Would you mind telling where you got that information? (Honestly just curious, as I have no desire to watch the whole Blizzcon thing) All I can find so far is (from Polygon) “The Night Elf-centered zone of Val’Sharah will include a trip to the Emerald Dream..” and “The first raids announced for Legion include the Emerald Nightmare, a twisted version of the Emerald Dream where players will search for the legendary druid patron god Cenarius and fight the evil Xavius.”

While a visit and a raid are nice, I don’t think that’s generally what people (certainly not myself) are wanting when we say we would like an exp about the Emerald Dream.

• hennedo says:

The old World Tree is in the Isles and its corruption is causing the Emerald Dream. Seems a bit of a side thing.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I highly doubt it’s ‘causing the Emerald Dream’. More likely being that its’ corruption is corrupting the Emerald Dream as well.

Anyway, it’s a shame the Emerald Dream is added in like this, it certainly has the potential to be the subject of its’ own expansion. I know Warlords of Draenor wasn’t well-received, but it feels a bit like they’re dropping in a lot of things.

8. icemann says:

Warlords of Draenor had a great start and gave off the impression of them moving the game in a fresh new direction, but then the long gaps between content patches started happening and it all just turned into one big grind. Real shame.

I’ve yet to experience a great expansion for WoW that stayed good from start to finish since Wrath of the Lich King sadly. Up to Wrath I had been playing since the original beta, then quit when the boring Cataclysm expansion came out and the panda expansion failed to interest me either.

Think I’ll quit again when I’m done with all the content in Warlords. This new expansion just reeks of been there done that. I miss the old Blizzard :(.

• RayEllis says:

Seems as if Blizz, having failed with one expansion designed to evoke Burning Crusade nostalgia, are ready to try again.

• SaintAn says:

A few months ago they said how they did WoD is how they plan to do all future xpacs. So one content update per xpac. I’ve already switched to FFXIV because I’m not paying $50-$70 and a $15 sub fee every month for a game that gets so little content. I don’t even care about those huge year long gaps between xpacs with no content as long as we get a massive amount of content and epic storytelling like MoP had before its 2 year long gap between it and WoD. There was always lots to do in MoP.

• icemann says:

For me it’s the PvE content (and I’m not talking dungeons and raids when I say that, I’m talking quest and just in-general stuff to do in the game to keep you busy) that keeps me going.

9. Cryptoshrimp says:

Boy, there’s a lot of negativity in this thread. I, for one, am excited. Call me a shill all you like, but this expansion had more worthwhile stuff than the (terribly mishandled) WoD and Pandaria combined. This looks like a partial return to form and I’m excited to see how much of these promises they dont’ screw up.

Also, funny how people say WoTLK was the last expansion that had no gaps between patches. Has everyone forgotten the ages and ages of Ulduar?

• Mr Coot says:

Haha! Well I’m excited too! This is fantastic news. Blizz is getting their mojo back :D I noticed a flying thing in the teaser, which should entice those who found having their wings clipped unpalatable. I tried to buy some sub time just now but the shop has fallen over closely followed by the forums, so the announcement has stirred some interest it looks.

• nearly says:

You should be able to grab a trial on the expansion’s site if you’re not subbed. If you haven’t played WoD at all, there should also be a link on your account page. They’ve been sending 7 days to past subscribers for the past few weeks, as best I can tell, and there has also been a link floating around to activate for 7 days even if you didn’t get an email.

10. Barberetti says:

They’ve finally got a 2nd male voice actor?

11. kud13 says:

So is Kil’jaiden the final boss, or the resurrected Sargeras?

Besides that mild bit of curiosity (never played WoW), wake me up if Blizz ever go back on the “always online” madness.

12. RayEllis says:

WoW! (No Pun), Tom Chiltern is not a good public speaker. Lots of attempts at humour that fell flat. Dunno if that is because of the German crowd or him just being really, really nervous.

New continent – meh, need to see more of it to decide if it is cool or not.

Artifact weapons – Interesting, but nothing other games haven’t already done. LOTRO for example.

Order Halls – They didn’t do a real good job of explaining this, or why it should interest me.

Burning Legion as the bad guy – Meh. Better than alternate reality dead guys, I suppose.

Nothing really groundbreaking. Still, we’ll have to see what else is revealed over the coming months.

13. Mr Coot says:

I loved the hint of a Fel Reaver squawk as the Legion came thru the portal. Reawakening the buried trauma of every fresh L58 who’s had one sneak up on them in Hellfire Peninsula.

14. rexx.sabotage says:

well that’s gonna be a lot of factions to grind :\

15. goettel says:

Mists at least made me hate Blizz. Looking at this trailer made me feel nothing.
    Nothing at all.

• SaintAn says:

You have poroblems if you hated MoP. It was their best xpac to date. Tons of content, a huge amount of story and lore developments, and the awesome Asian theme. It was nothing but great. WoD is absolute garbage though.

16. derbefrier says:

I made the mistake of buying the last expansion after friends told me things like “its a return to oldschool WoW”. “Its not boring!”. Boy were they wrong. I wont get fooled again.

• malkav11 says:

Those are directly contradictory statements, anyway.

• captainparty says:

People who miss “old school WoW” are either remembering it wrong or never played it.

• Distec says:

Whatever its flaws, it was a better MMO than WoW in its current state.

Blizzard lost about fifty percent of their subscriber base with this expansion and saw the steepest dropoff of players in the game’s history. Rose-tinted glasses are a thing, but it’s clear something has gone awry. It is an extremely boring game when all you do is queue for dungeons and click on crates in your stronghold.

• malkav11 says:

No, it emphatically was not. It wasn’t even a better game one expansion ago, it just had a bit more raid progression and hooks to keep the loot obsessives grinding than this one does. (Oh, and they had flying easily accessible in the current content, which was better, I suppose.) Yes, subscriptions are dropping off. Imagine that, a game that’s over ten years old and still charging $15/mo losing subscribers. Shocking, I tell you. Nevermind that the game spikes every time there’s a new expansion and then loses subs again until the next one, this is surely a sign that they’ve cocked it all up and it’s doomed. Of course, 5.7 million subscribers is still several times better than they had at launch and more than the rest of the market by a considerable margin, and just to repeat myself, this over ten years after launch. How many other games, MMO or otherwise, can say that? Not very damn many, that’s for sure.

Do I think this is the best expansion they’ve ever had? Of course not. They made some regressive moves like making it overly grindy to get reputation, removing flying in current content (until very recently, at least), and they really needed more incentive to leave your garrison (especially without flying). And frankly, orc stories aren’t my favorite thing about WoW (it also continues a trend of casting the Horde, even if it’s an alternate history version here, as the villains, which I’m not wild about as a Horde player). But it was still glorious fun to start with – questing and exploring and gathering followers and ramping up the garrison and trying the new dungeons and raids. And it was blessedly much easier to get up to speed with raiding and similar. The holding state where you’ve tried all the endgame stuff and just need to grind for better loot and more rep and such is always tedious. Draenor makes it a bit more so for a number of reasons, but it doesn’t make the game itself worse – there’s still been quality of life improvements across the board, and if you don’t care about the endgame grind you can go try umpteen expansions worth of stuff you maybe didn’t get through the first time around to keep your hand in. That’s why I say it’s the best it’s ever been, as a whole: every expansion means better overall QoL and more content to play with. Sometimes it just sucks a bit more for the hardcore raider types.

17. Jenks says:

It looks like they’re taking a few more steps towards making WoW the single player game they always wanted.

18. Scumbag says:

5 years ago I was leading a raid in the Ruby Sanctuary (I think that was the instance name) and we were attempting to down the boss. It was the 5th attempt and we got him, but that was after a lot of hearing cats over and over. Once the boss was down and the looting was occurring arguments broke out over who had the right DKP and if tank priority was still in effect over some items.

I had just come back from a 2 week break from the game to upgrade my machine. Once this spat broke out post the almost incessant whining during the fight the message screamed loud and clear across my brain:
    “What the hell am I doing with my life?”
    I quit the game the next day and have not played it since.

Just thought I’d share.

19. USER47 says:

I respect WoW for the business accomplishments and the fact it became template for bunch of other MMOs (including SW:TOR which I play). But god the aesthetics are just so bland and cliché, I just couldn’t stand that:/. Warcraft lore was always uninspired, shame the talented designers behind the games, be it the trategy series or WoW, didn’t work with some better settings.

20. Jediben says:

F2P in 5…4…3…

21. OmNomNom says:

“Hai guise, we cancelled the new AAA MMO we were creating because it was becoming too expensive and thought we’d just bleed the old one dry instead for another 10 years”

22. satan says:

I’ll check it out if they give us a free level 100 character.

• stblr says:

An instant boost to 100 for one character is included, just like a boost to 90 was included with WoD.

23. jrodman says:

Back when I played this game, I had a vague sense of hope that level 100 would feature a conclusion and the game would end. I’m not sure why I believed that (I probably made it up), or why it’s so attractive to me, but I’m vaguely let down to see “level to 110”.

24. Eiv says:

They are:

Features:

New continent: The Broken Isles
    New class: Demon Hunter
    Artifacts: customizable weapons that grow in power as you do
    Class-specific Order Halls and followers
    All New Dungeons and Raids
    New World Bosses
    Level cap raised to 110
    Revamped PvP progression system
    Improved transmogrification system
    Improved social features
    Character Boost—immediately raise one character to level 100
    . . . and more

25. Idealist says:

“Someone is getting resurrected by a Shaman.”

This is a beautiful piece of unintentional irony.

26. TheAngriestHobo says:

The level cap is 110 now? What was it originally, 6 or something?

27. Coffeespoons says:

Is it just me or is the presentation style eerily reminiscent of a Scientology convention?

28. dr.denton says:

Ugh, so more Big Bad Green Gooey Evil and “epic” and “awesome” and “you-are-the-most-badass-ever-and-the-only-one-who-can-do-this”. How am I supposed to feel like part of a world if it’s all just a power fantasy for 12year-old boys ?
    I’ve played WoW on and off for the last decade and never been less interested in this world – even Cataclysm with it’s Giant Dragon Is Gun’ Kill Us All felt less generic.

One of the things I liked about Vanilla is that it rarely felt like you were being forced into this big hero role but were just one of many fighting for your faction’s survival.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I suspect it’s particularly emphasised here because of WoD’s garrison system and followers made people feel like some commander (aka mid-level manager) who didn’t have to do anything himself (or herself) without having the responsibility for.. anything, really.