See Snake’s Cool Clubhouse In MGS V: The Phantom Pain

Yes, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain [official site] is a game about super spy Snake sneaking around an open world to get revenge and stop a shadowy organisation. It’s also a game about Snake building a cool ocean clubhouse for his soldier pals and all their animal friends.

A new 30-minute video hows all the fun Snake will have around Mother Base, including playing with his dog, defending it against attackers in online invasions, showering (finally, a game learns the joys of cleanliness from Deadly Premonition!), and flying around listening to Joy Division.

Mother Base is Snake’s home away from the field, where he and his closest advisors hang out. It’s also where he’s building a huge army by abducting soldiers from the field, who are presumably so impressed by how cool it is that they want to stay forever. MGS: Peace Walker introduced Mother Base as a place folks could upgrade to help develop items, but was mostly a pretty concept to wrap around a tech tree and a few spreadsheets. Mother Base in The Phantom Pain is an actual place, as publishers Konami have shown before, and it’s built to your specification.

Snake can order the building of new facilities, like R&D creating new weapons or support to help him in the field. You get to choose how to build them and lay out the base, change the colours, give it a natty insignia, and all that. This isn’t news. What’s surprising from this video is quite how much goes on there:

I’m into the showers that wash off blood and stink between missions, and how folks will give you the gas face or toss water on you if you forget for too long. Beautiful, that. I only needed to be fined a Stinky Agent penalty once in Deadly Premonition before I learned my lesson. Snake can also give moral boosts to staff by checking in on them, eavesdrop on conversations, calm tensions between soldiers, run challenge missions, visit the animals he’s yoinked from the field, and precisely lay out its defenses.

That last part is important when you dare venture into online play by building Forward Operating Bases onto Mother Base. Building these remote arms let you tap more resources, but also opt you into the online mode where other players might invade you. They’ll arrive on a FOB and try to reach its core, swiping staff and resources on the way. You’re alerted when they strike, and can return home from missions to fight them off. Again, Konami have spoken about this before, but this shows a lot more – down to watching replays of invasions to help you lay out your cameras, drones, and so on.

It’s all very cool. Always a fan of adding weird but really polished details, that Hideo Kojima. I am so excited about this game.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom pain is now due on September 1st, after Konami bumped the PC release forward to match console versions. The game’s dedicated multiplayer side, Metal Gear Online, won’t arrive until January 2016, because reasons, but I assume FOB invasions will be active.

1. eeguest says:

This smells so fun(ny)

2. Spacewalk says:

I hope there’s a towel flicking minigame.

3. XhomeB says:

It looks like one of those rare “AAA games” which just feels so lovingly crafted. Very much looking forward to it, enjoyed Ground Zeroes a lot.

By the way, have Konami ever mentioned that a PC release of MGS HD Collection is a possibility?

• GameCat says:

It was released only on PS3, because of its exclusive MGS4. There’s no chance that Sony will let them release it on PC or XBox. :/

• JRay says:

Just an FYI, the Legacy Collection (which included MGS4) was indeed PS3 exclusive; however, the HD Collection to which (I think) XhomeB is referring did not contain MGS4 and was also released on Xbox 360. There’s no reason (other than time and money) that it couldn’t come to PC but no announcements have been made.

• GameCat says:

Ah.

• XhomeB says:

Yep, that’s the one.
          The collection is neat, because is also came with MSX2-era Metal Gear 1&2 tossed in as a bonus. Really cool games, especially the second one.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

IIRC, Metal Gear 1+2 are in the HD collection, but as part of Snake Eater which is the updated Subsistence version of the game so they first need to be unlocked.

• Javier says:

I’m fairly sure that there was someone from Konami commenting on NeoGaf (I believe?) saying that they were aware the demand for a PC port of the HD Collection was there, and that they were looking into it. He said that, however, it implied a series of technical challenges and that they simply had their hands too full with MGS5. I wouldn’t be surprised though to see the port next year.

4. Ross Angus says:

Chocobos or no sale.

5. Sui42 says:

I was a big fan of Peace Walker and Portable Ops on the PSP, which were both headed by Kojima and were basically the prototypes for this style of MGS (which I like to think of MGS x Pokemon). I always hoped they’d make a proper console sequel with an explorable Mother Base, and I’m pretty frickin’ stoked to play it.

I am slightly worried that the game will take over my life. Portable Ops was a MASSIVE game. I think I must have put 100+ hours into it over a couple of years, and I still hadn’t even come close to researching / unlocking everything. At the end of the game the types of weapons you could get just got ridiculous (e.g. massive damage railguns that required a multiplayer friend to ‘charge’ it for you):

link to youtube.com

The amount of additional crazy shit they’re gonna pump into this game – judging on Peace Walker- is gonna be crazy. I think this might be the only AAA game you need to play for a long time.

And I’m not even half way through the witcher 3. FFS

• Javier says:

Portable Ops wasn’t headed by Kojima. Peace Walker, which was, is so much better it isn’t even funny. However, Portable Ops is very interesting in a lot of ways, seeing how a pretty mediocre portable pseudo-spin off not directed or written by Kojima first introduced both key plot points and gameplay mechanics of MGS5.

• Sui42 says:

Oh right – it was produced by Kojima. But yeah, though Peace Walker was MUCH better, Portable Ops definitely lay the gameplay foundations which are still in place for MGS5 (e.g. the whole Pokemon gotta catch ’em all aspect).

I also absolutely loved the cutscenes, which were animated drawings from the incredible Ashley Wood:

link to youtube.com

I’d prefer a good animation to in-game cutscenes anyday, even with super hi-res next-gen graphics.

6. Sp4rkR4t says:

That FOB invasions mode is my idea of the perfect game mode for me, pretty much going to be doing nothing but that come Sept 1st I think.

• Sui42 says:

No multiplayer for PC until November ;(

• Sui42 says:

which will be weird, as come November, the base that you thought was pretty-ok will suddenly be ripped apart by 15 year olds who’ve had enough spare time to develop the bizarre endgame alien superweapons

(hopefully you’ll be able to interact in other ways. My favourite memory of Dark Souls is when I met a really high level player, who threw a late-game set of uber armour in my direction, so that it would be a fair duel. He utterly trounced me, of course – but I was left with this awesome armour. Didn’t feel like cheating because it was something that had dynamically happened within the game, and which the game system allowed. I hope shit like that can happen, too)

• Javier says:

The invasion multiplayer will be present from the very beginning. What you won’t get until 2016 (in PC) is Metal Gear Online 3.

7. GWOP says:

This is insane.

8. jorygriffis says:

I remain so relieved that the game has recruitable, playable female soldiers. I was really afraid it wouldn’t.

9. Geebs says:

I can’t wait to Fulton all of the dudes and dudettes.

I will also give all of my soldiers a moral boost by sticking a Gideons bible in every one of their drawers.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I’m going to be playing purely for that 4-star Michellin rating.