Taxiing: Project Cars Devs Making Red Bull Air Race Game

From Need for Speed: Shift through to Project Cars, Slightly Mad Studios have indulged their love of broom brooms. But how well do they know nyoom nyooms? We’ll see.

Slightly Mad are working on the official game of Red Bull’s slalom time trial plane races, which bears the imaginative name Red Bull Air Race – The Game. The game’s coming in 2016 and… that’s about all I can tell you. I can show you some moving pictures though:

That’s the most concrete thing I can give you. After that, I’d be scraping the bottom of the press release barrel.

“Red Bull Air Race – The Game will see races take place in authentic locations with the real pilots of the highly popular motorsport series, and it comes with the same high-speed dynamics and nail-biting action present in the global phenomenon known as the Red Bull Air Race,” say publishers Wing Racers Sports Games. So it’s like Red Bull Air Race, but a video game. Gotcha.

i tell you what though: I’d go for a Red Bull Flugtag game. Design your own wacky flying machine, decorate it, create costumes, then ditch that baby in the drink:

TO THE MAX!

1. ran93r says:

What happened to crowdfunding PC2 and you know, fixing up PC1?

• dahools says:

Er. . . Stuff PC1 and PC2

Soap box derby anyone?

Now there’s a game I would buy! Lots of customisation, authentic locations. . . . It would be a dream. Basically Kerbal but to get to the bottom of a hill instead of into space.

• Foosnark says:

Soap box derby anyone?

Whoah, I think I’d have to buy that one twice.

• grimdanfango says:

Well, considering the previous 4 patches have basically been a big loud song-and-dance about how great their support is, with a patch notes list as long as your arm every time, but have somehow failed to fix almost all of the major game-breaking bugs that have existed since release – I suspect that pattern will continue until such time as everyone has stopped caring, at which point they’ll quietly shovel it into the bin, wipe out the last traces of customer dissatisfaction from their forums (they’re already pretty much on top of that), and pretend that the whole thing went just swimmingly from the get-go.
      Then the hype machine will start revving up for PCars 2 and Red Bull Air Race, and the gaming press will forget entirely that there was ever any problems with the last decade of games they’ve produced, and begin touting the upcoming games as the saviours of the racing genre all over again.

Rince and repeat. At this point they’re very very good at it.

• Synesthesia says:

Yeah, this needs more attention brought to it. I’m not buying anything from these people ever again.

2. OscarWilde1854 says:

“Design your own wacky flying machine, decorate it, create costumes, then ditch that baby in the drink”

Minus the costumes, this is literally Kerbal Space Program…

3. Zenicetus says:

Okay, it’s work-in-progress, but still… no moving control surfaces like ailerons when doing those maneuvers?

4. JustAPigeon says:

Red Bull Air Racing 2 to be announced in 2016.

5. steves says:

As a big fan of all the -ooms I have surprisingly never gotten into driving games. Am just shit at driving I guess, whether in the real world or a game.

Flying things though…that I can get behind. And flying those insane prop planes under bridges – sign me up! Will hopefully also be something else that makes use of the ludicrously expensive joystick I bought for Elite.

Anyone remember Looking Glass’ flight sim, ‘Flight Unlimited’? That was all about crazy aerobatic stuff in prop planes too, but I never had the hardware to do it justice in 1995, and this reminds me of that a bit.

• Jerkzilla says:

Good sir! I wish to present to you what I believe is an enticing alternative to the flight simulation video game described in the above article. I am of course talking about DCS: World. Completely free! Comes with a TF-51, practically a civilian P-51 Mustang, equipped with what is allegedly the most true to life representation of the real aircraft’s flight characteristics as well as comprehensive modelling of aircraft systems, known in this niche as a “clickable cockpit”. Sadly, the scenery is outdated, but the planes and cockpits look fantastic.

• LennyLeonardo says:

“The scenery is outdated”, bloody climate change.

6. Simbosan says:

I used to love an old DOS (i think) plane racing game. It had the simple but brilliant mechanic of you racing yourself. First time you raced you were on your own, second time you could see the ghost of your first, third time you now were in a 3 man race, 4th was the last.

So you were constantly pushing your best times, shaving fractions of a second off became a huge fist pump event. Wtf was it called…. was never a big hit but I loved it

It wasn’t Plane Crazy or Chuck Yeager, google not helping either

7. GWOP says:

Alice, Flugtag is great, but what you want is the Red Bull Soapbox Racing!

8. Cinek says:

Nice, I’d love to play Redbull Air Racing….
    ….if I would be good in it. But I tried it in Flight Simulator X and I sux so bad, that I really can’t see myself buying a dedicated game just for the air racing…

9. Shazbut says:

I’m trying to understand why people are doing that flugtag thing. Why spend so much time and money to make something which is visible for 5 seconds, doesn’t do anything, and is then destroyed?

10. iainl says:

This all looks far too sensible. What the world needs (well, what I need. I suspect I may be the only one, but don’t tell the money people that) is a modern version of N-Gen Racing!

11. KastaRules says:

‘kay, you got my attention now.