Get Lorey: Might & Magic Heroes VII Out September 29th

Might & Magic Heroes VII [official site] is launching September 29th, so sayeth Ubisoft from on high. A second closed beta phase is scheduled to start August 26th in the interim period, running for about a week until September 2nd and letting players try out previously unavailable factions. These are the fan-voted factions, the Sylvan and Dungeon, the result of a voting session that began last year and perhaps a solid name for a pub.

The game, if you’ll remember with me, was first announced last year: the story of some fantasy king who does some stuff and then there are factions and crazy stuff happens! As Limbic Entertainment’s Stephan Winter explained at the time: “Basically, our goal is to take the best out of the previous Heroes titles and build Heroes VII from there. Of course we’re also bringing in new features or new ideas without compromising the spirit of Heroes, such as more interactions on the Adventure Map allowing more strategies.”

The old girl, who’s heading toward her 20th birthday, is now available for pre-order.

1. Kefren says:

I prefer Heroes of Might and Magic as a series title. 2 was probably the high point for me, I still play that and HoMM3. All this new-fangled 3D stuff the kids are into nowadays, when there’s nowt wrong with some lovely 2D drawings of sprites and elves.

• klops says:

Although I very much liked the looks of HoMM 1 and specifically 2 (HoMM 3 was ugly. No, it was), I didn’t mind the graphics of the newest one. But I did mind the useless AI and uPlay deleting my saves.
      Twice.
      After that no more money for uPlay from me.

• jrodman says:

PISTOLS AT DAWN

• Smoof says:

Uplay pissed me off to no end for the same reasons. I eventually turned off their shit cloud save “feature” and it stopped deleting my saves.

It was especially frustrating, because we’d be several hours into a hotseat game only to have it deleted.

• Jenks says:

I’m actually finding it hard to believe someone likes the 3d graphics in the ubi games over the sprites of HOMM3. It’s an opinion so outrageous I’ll probably lose sleep tonight trying to comprehend it.

• theslap says:

HoMM 2 is where it’s at. Every thing since has been a step (sometimes small, sometimes huge) backwards.

• xfstef says:

Yes ! Thank you !

2. Nereus says:

I’ll continue to ignore this series as long as uplay is required to run them. Sadly they are the only series I actually miss on Steam/GOG..

• TormDK says:

I’m not sure what you are on about, as you can buy the game series on Steam just fine. (And it is therefor on Steam)

uPlay is still a requirement service though.

• Kitsunin says:

I think that’s the point. uPlay is a pain in the ass sometimes, and if the game has this sort of external DRM attached it’s not exactly a proper Steam release. Definitely won’t be seeing it on GOG.

• pepperfez says:

I don’t know what you mean. All the Heroes games are on GoG: I see Heroes 1, 2, and 3 right there. They even have some fan games imagining what would have happened if the series had continued.

3. golem09 says:

Would love to play this, but I can’t, not on release at least.
    Buying a Heroes game without a random map generator is like buying a car with one full tank in a world without gas stations.

• jrodman says:

I generally preferred community maps to random ones, but if it aint got those either then F it.

4. RanDomino says:

Squares or hexes for the battle map?

Squares are what killed HoMMV for me. I just couldn’t. I wanted to so badly. It was so close to HOMM3 in 3d.

• theslap says:

I’m terribly bothered by this as well. Why did they lose the hex-grid? There seems to be no logical explanation other than perhaps the programmers couldn’t handle it.

5. xfstef says:

Yet again they are just face lifting HoMM5 and mangling it’s name further and expecting everyone will be ok with the same old tricks.
    Ubisoft have completely lost their way with this series and are basically just revamping the graphics for some quick cash.
    It’s sad that no one with talent and / or love for the original games works there.

6. Superpat says:

This could be interesting, but I’ll probably have moved on to just arch linux instead of ubuntu/windows.
    I guess I’ll have to find an alternative, are there any good games a little like this on linux?

7. Konservenknilch says:

Call me a shill or whatever, but I can can’t wait. It’s one of my guilty pleasures. Except VI which was balls.

8. ye-ole-PK says:

uPlay = no way.

I had so many issues with HOMM V, that I never want to touch another in the series.

HoMM 3 is still good enough to keep at it.