Now You See Her… Assassin’s Creed Syndicate Evie Video

Ubisoft have let loose a bit of Assassin’s Creed Syndicate [official site] in a nice 10-minute playthrough video taking a look at the game’s secondary protagonist Evie, twin to playable Dude Hero Jacob Frye and a sensibly dressed Master of Stealth in her own right, as she infiltrates the Tower of London. You can watch it all below.

vie can be played across just a few missions, although you can switch between her and Jacob during the game’s free-roaming. This is a Black Box mission in the style of last year’s Assassin’s Creed Unity – essentially the same thing as Deus Ex-styled nonlinear gameplay – where players are given a location to stealth their way into and can complete their mission a variety of different ways. In the video you’ll see Evie infiltrating the Tower of London, attempting to hunt down an artefact of the First Civilisation. You can steal a set of keys, grab allies or just use yer invisbility stealth skill to get past the finishing line.

Assassin’s Creed Syndicate is due out on PC later this year – no specific release date just yet, although it’s due out on consoles October 23th for reference.

1. turth says:

So basically Deus Ex-Lite?

• Crafter says:

with way too much hand holding it seems, but that has always been the case with the AC franchise..

2. baozi says:

You can also play it at Gamescom

3. albamuth says:

Where is she getting all that rope from? It’s not like you have to reel it back in each time you use it or keep track of uses.

How does the chameleon ability even work? It was hard to believe even in Ghost in the Shell.

Hell, how does eagle vision work? Eagles can’t see through walls. It would be more believable to call it “Bloodhound Olfaction”

I wish this series would either come up with a scifi technobable explanation or simply accept that its characters can do “magic,” and then make that magic/technopower part of the game system/story. It’s like playing Uncharted with unlimited ammo.

• Blackcompany says:

Agreed. Out of one side of their mouths Ubi talk about how their games must – must – be tied to the real world. They want an experience anchored in our reality, either historically, in a modern setting or a speculative future. At the same time though, they stick in magical abilities – presumably because, hey, other games have them – without any explanation whatever. Its…jarring..to say the least.

Not that I play the Ubi game any more. Got tired of it about halfway through the latest first person iteration of it. Couldnt bring myself to go back and climb radio towers in Chicago even when that title was on sale not long ago. The Ubi formula has worn thin for me, I am afraid.

• montorsi says:

Ubi uses historical settings for their mystical gene-walking, yes. Failure to meet reality is sort of by design, unless you really want to go out of your way to be critical of AC.

• median says:

I don’t think it’s a series any more. It’s a bunch of very different games called Assasin’s Creed so they can sell more.

4. Talbot says:

Not too sure how comfortable I am killing Guardsmen like that… my father was a Coldstream Guard. Humph.

• MattMk1 says:

I saw that picture and popped in here to say something similar. I always thought that it was absurd just how many guards there were all over the place in the AC games, and how incredibly aggressive and bloodthirsty they were.

In the earlier games, I could usually put it out of my mind – those uniforms meant nothing to me, and frankly after a certain point the guards on the rooftops would get so damn annoying when trying to get from A to B that I would slaughter them and feel not a twinge of conscience. Later on, slaughtering redcoats during the American Revolution or enemy sailors while you were a pirate at least had some logic to it.

But now, we’re getting close enough to the present day and the disconnect is just getting too big to ignore, if handled with the usual Ubisoft subtlety. I don’t want to murder cops and soldiers protecting the public order in 1860s London…

• welverin says:

But there are a lot of games where you do that, is the difference just that this game is set in your home country?

• MattMk1 says:

Actually, I’m American.

And it completely depends on the tone of the game, as far as I’m concerned. If it’s something faintly absurd and over the top like GTA, where you steal military aircraft and get into shootouts with the cops using miniguns, I don’t really mind. On the other hand, games like Kane and Lynch, where you’re just playing as scum murdering people and it’s being played fairly seriously, really aren’t my thing.

If a game offers me a choice, like Dishonored or DX:HR, then I usually stick to using non-lethal approaches. I played DXHR with almost no lethalities… until the bit in the hotel in Hengsha.

The problem with the AC games are is they try (with various amounts of success) to make the main character sympathetic, have plots which are supposed to be completely serious – and pretend to be philosophical, even – and then throw you into situations where you murder dozens of people for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, because their mission design sucks. In a way, I guess it’s less about the moral implications of killing pretend people in a videogame, and more about the massive disconnect between narrative and gameplay.

Sort of like what so many people endlessly whined about when DX:HR made you kill the “bosses”, but IMO about an order of magnitude worse.

• Lanfranc says:

It’s okay, they’ll probably be… TEMPLAR Guardsmen! >:O

5. int says:

Cloak Engaged. Nanosuit comes early to Albion.

6. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

I wish all the missions were “black boxes”. My favourite thing about Black Flag wasn’t larking about on the high seas, it was the assassination contracts. They just made an area of the world hostile, spawned some guards and a target, and let you get on with it however you want.

7. rollermint says:

Um this chameleon cloak ability is a bit too much in weird zone.
    Did Ubi wish they are making Predator the Game instead of AC?

8. lagiacrux says:

im having the same problems with it as the others mentioned …

too much handholding – let me figure out those “opportunities” myself by exploring instead of putting a big marker in the world. they want to make it seem like an open world when in reality its just branching into 4-5 paths.

the cloaking seems ridiculous – it just seems so out of place in the world.

9. Ross Angus says:

Those violins are quite lovely.

10. GWOP says:

Snake in Phantom Pain can have the Hand of Jehuty because that’s a game that doesn’t take itself too seriously. But for something as po-faced as Assassin’s Creed, Nanosuit powers really feel out of place.

11. 10min says:

The game is ruined by Deus Ex Machina magic.

You don’t need to plan your path because you can magically get anywhere with the magical grapple. There is not stealth because you are magically invisible.

You don’t need to explore, and have no surprises because you can magically see where is located everybody.

Bleh. I lost interest on this game.

12. Jimbo says:

It’s so frustrating that they (and so many, many others) keep making these stunning environments and then vandalising them with the HUD. Most of the gameplay here looks like it revolves entirely around the HUD too, so it’s not like you can turn it all off without breaking the game.

Surely they can design the gameplay around the environment itself and find more elegant solutions for giving you the information you need?

The long-established ‘birds by edge of roof’ to show where you can perform a leap of faith is a good example of doing this well; why have they not expanded this idea out more? A raven circling overhead above your target/objective would get the job done just as well as a massive floating skull icon or whatever.

• Chiron says:

Amazing environments, awful gameplay and plot.

Assassins Creed in a nutshell really.

basilisk says:

I think you’ll find that ever since the very first AC game, it has been possible to turn all the individual elements of the HUD off, and the games have a quite extensive system of audio and visual cues for conveying various important game states (anonymous, pursued, enemies lost sight, low health etc.) that have been designed specifically for the purpose of playing HUD-less. It’s not the default setting, and I’m sure it has its quirks, but the option has been there forever.

• Jimbo says:

I know, I usually turn off as much as I feel I can get away with. It’s not easy when increasingly the gameplay feels like it’s designed around playing the HUD.

Turning the HUD off is ofc not the same thing as designing the game and gameplay with minimal/zero HUD in mind from the start, which is something I think this series in particular would benefit from significantly. Right now the atmosphere is non-existent and the settings just feel like arbitrary backgrounds because all the game wants you to do is go from one floating icon / glowy outline to the next.

I think the historical settings are the big draw for this series and the matrix-style HUD nonsense only serves to undermine that.

• Darth Grabass says:

Black Flag does what you describe quite well. The game is perfectly playable with all the HUD switched off, and it is glorious. It forces the player to pay attention to environmental cues, such as sea birds circling over a point of interest in the water, or the twinkling sound cue that signals a nearby treasure chest.

13. tonicer says:

Imagine an AssCreed only made for PC.