Hylics Is Basically Videodrome: The Game

God, just look at this game. Like a scene from Bosch by way of Videodrome, Hylics [official site] is a weird, 2D game from indie developer Mason Lindroth – a familiar face on the Ludum Dare scene. I’ll be honest with you, I haven’t got a clue what’s going on in it. Hylics, the Greek word referring to matter but possibly having nothing to do with the game whatsoever, is described by Lindroth as “a recreational program with light JRPG elements” and is basically a malaria dream about sausages or something.

The trailer is fascinating. “Somsnosa unleashed a mini leech!” reads random text displayed after a bit of animated meat implodes I think. “Wayne uses frozen burrito! Cone Cultist A Took 40 Damage!” reads another. Watch below.

Lindroth is likely best known for his work on a Ludum Dare entry called Beachcomber, a game that involves combing a beach with a metal detector and which features multiple possible endings that invariably include kaiju brains. The game shares the Apple II-style visuals of Hylics, a lovely stylistic calling card throughout all his work. You can read about Beachcomber here, and download Hylics for $3 over here.

1. Darth Gangrel says:

Man, Videodrome was truly something special and weird in a good way, the 80’s produced some very experimental (or just mental) movies. My associations of Videodrome will probably not align with my impressions of this game, but it’s interesting to imagine Videodrome as a game.

• GWOP says:

“… it’s interesting to imagine Videodrome as a game.”

I thought that was eXistenZ.

• Darth Gangrel says:

eXistenZ doesn’t contain any video cassettes and it’s far more action-oriented than Videodrome. I think it’s more like The Matrix, but the separation between what is real and in the game is more in line with Videodrome.

2. Pich says:

Reminds me of those weird-ass japanese game like LSD, Cho Aniki and Seamen from the early ’00s. I miss them

3. Distec says:

Can’t wait for the reboot with *nanomachines*.

:\

• Distec says:

^Meant as a reply to Gangrel.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Well, I don’t know what nanomachines have in common with Videodrome, but it’s always nice when someone replies to my comments.

• Distec says:

Neither do I, but somebody did apparently.

link to bloody-disgusting.com

Pretty sure it’s dead in the water though.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I first thought you were referencing the meme “nanomachines, son”, link to knowyourmeme.com.

“modernize the concept, infusing it with the possibilities of nano-technology and blow it up into a large-scale sci-fi action thriller” I won’t mind if it is indeed dead in the water, if they’re going with *that*. Videodrome was great because of its mundane setting and the blurring between reality and hallucinations. Making it a large-scale sci-fi action thriller is like making a whole different movie. It’s got more in common with the Syndicate game remake then, because that’s also quite different from the original version.

4. JRay says:

Not suitable for those under the age of 47.

5. bunionbell says:

Is the game soundtracked by Lightning Bolt? I hope it is soundtracked by Lightning Bolt.

6. Sulpher says:

So you play as one of Yves Tanguy sculpture-creatures stomping across trippy landscapes. This looks like my kinda jam.

7. Freud says:

Too much an assault on the senses for me, but I’m sure it’ll find it’s audience.

8. King in Winter says:

Long live the new flesh!