The International 2015’s $6.6 Million Prize Goes To…

Click through for SPOILERS and NSFW language via the medium of Vines (also a touch of flashing lights):

Evil Geniuses are the winners of The International 2015, snaffling more than $6.6 million in prize money after a week of hard-fought Dota 2 in Seattle’s KeyArena.

CDEC came into the main event as standouts from the Wildcard playins, making their way to the grand finals without losing a single match in the upper bracket. Evil Geniuses weren’t so lucky, descending to the lower bracket after a semi-final encounter with the aforementioned CDEC. But the North American side showed lower bracket finalists LGD the door [good lord, why let that Leshrac through? Why, LGD?] The home crowd responded throughout that second semi-final game with a near-constant roar of support and there was a brief respite from the hype as the players prepared to face each other a second time, this time in the Grand Finals.

Here are some handy roundups:

GAME ONE

(An Evil Geniuses victory)

GAME TWO

(A CDEC victory)

GAME THREE

(An Evil Geniuses victory)

GAME FOUR

(An Evil Geniuses victory!)

Here are the final standings:

1st: Evil Geniuses($6,616,014)
2nd: CDEC ($2,848,562)
3rd: LGD Gaming ($2,205,338)
4th: Vici Gaming ($1,562,114)
5th-6th: EHOME, Virtus.Pro ($1,194,558)
7th-8th: MVP Phoenix, Team Secret ($827,002)
9th-12th: Team Empire, Cloud9, compLexity Gaming, Invictus Gaming ($220,534)
13th-16th: Newbee, Natus Vincere, Fnatic, MVP Hot6ix ($55,133)

If you’re interested in the team stories and what it’s like to attend a massive multi-million dollar prize eSports event you can find our International 2015 diaries here.

1. Alecthar says:

I’m psyched outta my mind to see those guys take the win. Especially for Fear, who was at the very first International, and for him to be back 5 years later and win the whole shebang is just awesome.

• jrodman says:

Yeah, Fear is probably the most respected player worldwide who took home practically nothing from 2010 to 2013. Always factors managed to get in the way, from underperforming team compositions, to injuries, to just bad luck. This year has definitely been the one when his number finally came up. From DAC to TI5, they’ve been the team to beat.

• TehK says:

With all the prize money, I hope Fear can now buy a really big desk! :D

• hennedo says:

Did you see his response to Redeye asking him if he was going to spend the money on a desk? Just totally deadpan: “Why not?” and then just stares at him. A great man, truly. I scared my dog laughing so loud.

• Dawngreeter says:

I have played maybe 10 DOTA 2 games, of which maybe 3 were against actual people. Which is to say, this isn’t a game I’m good at or know a lot about. But I do think it’s important, culture-wise, so I tried to know at least the basics of it. I watched Free to Play a while back, and that’s how I know about Fear. I’m sure there are people who follow the e-sports scene and know about him and everything else a great deal more than me. I’m just a random DOTA 2 newbie who’s heard about him.

That said, I’m so fucking happy for Evil Geniuses and Fear in particular. It’s such a great thing to happen. And it’s such a great moment to illustrate how e-sports is slowly becoming something non-hardcore fans can feel engaged in.

2. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I had a fantastic time live commentating the last two games of the final for two women who originally had other plans, but who decided they actually wanted to watch wizard fights more. The three of us shook the walls with cheering at the end.

• subedii says:

I’m sure your goldfish were thoroughly boisterous and enthralled. :P

Seriously though, I’m impressed when anyone can come into simply watching Dota and understand enough to be cheering the teams.

• mr.black says:

I couldn’t.
        Last year I was watching it for the first time and was mildly amused by all the shouting and lights. I couldn’t make heads or tails of most of the happenings, but it piqued my interest and I was back for more this year.
        This time I prepared myself with open chrome tabs for current heroes and Valve’s detailed Enhanced Experience – stream but with real time minimap, stats, graphs, etc. – helped immensely. And only then had I managed to understand why exactly were the people excited.
        From my experience, explaining heroe’s abilities at the start, while he’s using them in minor skirmishes is one of the most important things in learning (how to watch) the game.

3. notenome says:

’tis wierd though. Even though this is the TI the NA have finally won, it also is a TI that reaffirms chinese dominance of Dota 2:

TI1- Chinese finalist
    TI2- Chinese win
    TI4- Chinese win, both finalist from China
    TI5- Chinese finalist, 4 out of the top 6 teams from China.

Seems that as CIS’s star fades, China remains steady.

• notenome says:

*that NA has finally won , I can’t type to save my life.

• KevinLew says:

Asian players dominate plenty of video games. It was between two Chinese teams in the last League of Legends world championship. Asian players also won the last Street Fighter tournament.

• hennedo says:

Then again, the TI winner has alternated between “West” and “East” each TI.

• jrodman says:

China has the largest talent pool and the most serious practice ethic. It’s not too surprising.

Personally I was quite tickled to see CDEC come so far from their low-point at DAC2015 after losing Maybe, when people were counting them out, to playing through the wildcard to the finals. A much more exciting story for me than if Vici or even LGD had been in the finals.

• Slaadfax says:

This is such a weird way to phrase it because it’s super easy to turn it around:

TI1- Ukraine win
      TI2- Ukraine finalist
      TI3- Swede win, but 2nd place from Ukraine (left out because it doesn’t fit the “China domination” angle?)
      TI4- Chinese win, both finalist from China
      TI5- USA win

I’ll be the first to admit that eastern Dota tends to show a greater level composure and consistency (sometimes), and in general TI’s have seen more eastern teams in top 8(ish), but still, the phrasing was a bit disingenuous.

If you look it purely for the top 2, then east and west are dead even. TI 1, 2, and 5 had 1 eastern and 1 western team, with TI 3 and 4 having two western and two eastern, respectively.

4. iMad says:

USA! USA! USA!
    I’m not even American but I can’t stop clapping!

• jrodman says:

I rather like the tradition of “USA USA USA” in DOTA because of the history of the cheer being called out for teams who are not American. It feels like a mockery of patriotism which I wholeheartedly support.

Hopefully it’s not misinterpreted by newcomers as rabid patriotism.

• Be_reasonable says:

Actually, I am interpreting the USA chanting as patriotism. After watching twitch chat fly by with anti-Chinese comments, what am I supposed to think? It’s annoying, and I’m American. Frankly, there is a time and a place for patriotism, and there’s a difference between cheering for a country and just being anti-Chinese. As long as you didn’t watch any of the chat, it was an enjoyable tournament. But still, has to be one of the worst communities in gaming.

• Cinek says:

“It feels like a mockery of patriotism” – it really doesn’t. And for most of the people chanting: It really isn’t.

5. PancakeWizard says:

Random RPS question: why no author name on articles on the main feed? Or is this because I’m looking at it on a smartphone?

• Vandelay says:

It is a smartphone thing. Which is odd, as I’m sure it used to display the authors correctly on my phone. It displays if you are on the desktop version though, not that we really need to know who has written an article on DOTA.

• Vandelay says:

Oh and the vines didn’t work on my smartphone either, so it just looked like a picture of who was playing who. This makes a lot more sense now!

I’ve been enjoying seeing lots of Dark Seer in this tourney. I recently played him for the first time in an actual match (I’ve been going through a bout of going random and it is opening me up to quite a few different heroes I wouldn’t normally play.) Showed me how good he actually can be, although I expect that is partly due to him not being used often and a lot of people not realising how nasty his ulti can be. Seeing him in the International has made me want to play him some more and given me a few ideas on what to use him against (ion shell destroyed Broodmother’s spiderlings in a game I saw the other day, I imagine it works well against a lot of heroes with minions or illusions. Alos, Gyro’s Call Down + Vacuum = team wipes!)

• Spider Jerusalem says:

They most certainly used to display on mobile. Not sure what happened.

6. TehK says:

Really amazing stuff and a lot more entertaining and exciting than last year’s finals. I loved every second of it. One reason might also be that Pip’s Twitter was the best live commentary you could wish for :)

7. Chicago Ted says:

I really wish CDEC had let techies through.
    God, I’d have loved to see a techies final. Kaboom!

8. PikaBot says:

That six million dollar echo slam was a thing of beauty.

• RedViv says:

Seeing it coming right as the snowball launched, I jumped up and pushed over my chair and hit my knee on the table and it was all so worth it.

9. heretic says:

Is it normal that you can’t watch replays on the international website for Friday and Saturday? Anything before that has a “watch” button, does it take time to come up?

10. rihsano says:

and finally the winner is geneusis congrats to her! six million thats a lot of money Dota dota

11. Sene says:

Is that a Faith No More reference I see in the Game 3 Vine?