Join The Family: Mafia Mod Adds Multiplayer

Aye, Mafia III was announced last week, but what good does that do you now? The game’s not even due until 2016. However, you can today download and play a near-final version of Lost Heaven MP [official site], a mod adding multiplayer to the first Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven.

You and your pals could this very day be zipping around Lost Heaven, chasing each other, and acting like big crimekids in a crimeplayground. That beats teaser trailers and b-roll footage. But, as always with the mob, there are a few complications.

What Lost Heaven MP does have is up to 100 players per server running, driving, and shooting. It also has scripting support to create new game modes; I’ll be interested to see what folks come up with. What it doesn’t have is pedestrians or the game’s story – no co-op. You’ll need to create your own playground fun.

Given that the mod’s makers have performed the high wizardry of wangling online multiplayer out of a game never meant to support it, one can hardly grumble that it’s not enough. The team lead by Roman ‘Romop5’ Dobiáš been working on it for years, holding occasional public tests. Early versions had synchronisation problems and jerky movement, but it’s looking pretty slick lately.

It’ll be a little less chaotic than Just Cause 2‘s fan-made multiplayer mod, I imagine.

The client and server files – so you can host your own – are over here. This is release candidate 1, which means this version’s really possibly potentially done, barring unexpected problems. You’ll need to provide your own copy of Mafia, of course, which is tricky since it vanished from digital distributors years ago. I gave my disc copy to a pal, thinking I’d buy it on Steam when I wanted to play again. Welp.

Here’s a short, ah, gameplay clip from back in April:

1. blastaz says:

Isn’t this available on steam still? I reinstalled it there recently. Think I got a free copy when I bought 2.

On the other hand I’m not quite sure of the point of this, Mafia 1 is so austere. It’s not really the sand box playground you want for an open world multiplayer game…

• Jalan says:

If you bought it (or like yourself, received it when buying something else), then the game is still available to you through your game library, but otherwise the first Mafia isn’t available to purchase through the Steam store and hasn’t been for quite some time.

• XhomeB says:

Great. Always wanted to play the first game, but it’s impossible to find nowadays. Crossing fingers GOG manage to get it at some point.

Phasma Felis says:

No worries! It’s available from your friendly local Pirate Bay. The most-seeded result appears to be a Russian-language version, but the second looks to be English. You’re welcome.

(My concerns about the morality of piracy go out the window when the rights-holder refuses to actually make a thing available for sale. As far as I’m concerned, they don’t want my money, I don’t want to give them my money, everybody’s happy.)

2. Distec says:

So why was the first game pulled from Steam so many years ago?

• Jalan says:

Licensing issues seems to be the common consensus given when everyone asks that question.

• Distec says:

I feel like “It got swallowed by an actual black hole” is a fairly truthy statement whenever this is the case. :\

• Unclepauly says:

I can confirm this to be truthfulness.

• Jalan says:

As good as any. Games like this, Prey, Stubbs the Zombie, the pre-Aspyr-ized version of Indigo Prophecy (and the list goes on) just vanish and most often no official source deigns to leave a valid reason why. Game development should have its own X-Files division at this point.

3. Paul says:

Could you RPS ask 2K why the fuck is the game not available for purchase anywhere ? One of the complete masterpieces, and people can’t even buy it.

• geisler says:

Some console versions can still be found on Ebay. But yeah, for PC, it’s tough to find.

• Paul says:

Console versions are butchered and nobody should play them. This is a PC game and should only be played on one. I wish 2K would just resolve whatever licensing issues there are and put it up on steam and gog.

• Unclepauly says:

The story mode to this game is one of the best there ever was. It’s a sad shame people can’t just buy it and play it. I realize you just said this but I wanted to back it up. :D

4. laser-gods says:

I’m having flashbacks of that racing mission…I think I have PTSD.

• skyturnedred says:

It’s pretty easy if you use the shortcut, though before I learned about it, I just downloaded a save game that picks up right after the race. Fuck that shit.

5. skyturnedred says:

I still have the cd, but I don’t have a optical drive attached to my PC anymore. Guess I’ll look to my sailor friends for help.