Look! We’re Even More Shiny! New Logo And Everything!

A new logo – gosh! What a day for the internet. And a new font, too! But don’t be scared, it’s just earth-shattering change that undermines your very reliance on the familiar.

At RPS we’re always fiddling behind the scenes. Fnarr! Rather than relaunching the site every couple of years, our updating process is always happening, the heroic Jonathan Sutcliffe and team at Positive Internet constantly tweaking, fixing and improving, the site gradually evolving. We prefer this to surprising you (and us) with sudden change. Today’s update is perhaps a bit more noticeable than others, and we hope you agree it makes the site easier to read. And prettier! Look at that lovely new logo. (If you’re not seeing it, hit Ctrl-F5.)

RPS is a bit different to most sites, as you’ve likely noticed. That goes all the way down, with our design a cheerfully bodged together collection of WordPress and hacks, plugins that instantly overwhelm our caching, and weird numbers that we can’t stop from appearing. We’re more frightened of it than in control of it, but hopefully you’ll have appreciated our attempts to tame its more unwieldy aspects over the years. It’s certainly come a long way from the hilarious mess Jim, John, Alec and Kieron tried to put together themselves in 2007. Without being owned by a megacorp, just keeping the site online for the millions of people who read it has been one of the biggest challenges of the last eight years – making it unhideous is frankly a miracle.

With our eighth birthday next week, a little visual overhaul seems like a good plan, along with a bunch of behind-the-curtain tweaks that you’ll hopefully not notice. And we’ve other plans for the very near future to make the site even more presentable. We will continue to do our very best to ensure that adverts do not get in the way of the words, and rather enormously hope you’ll respond to our efforts by not ad-blocking us. (It’s hard to appreciate how much harm it does to sites you enjoy reading, but sadly it really does harm us very much.) And hopefully, in our own breezily bumbling fashion, we’ll make RPS even more pleasurable for your tired, tired eyes.

Other than that, RPS continues to be the bestest PC gaming site there is. Our crew just now is remarkable, with Alice’s incredible work on news, Pip’s tireless roving reportage, Adam’s extraordinary grip on reviews, and Graham’s mighty ruling over it all from his giant hulking mecha-suit. Alec and John are alright too, probably.

If you like what one, some or all of those folk (and our many wonderful freelance contributors) do so much that you’d like to help cover the site’s costs, please take a look at the RPS Supporter Scheme. You get bonus features and a few game-related gifts for signing up, too.

In any case: thank you! Thank you for being part of our madcap journey through the world of PC gaming. And blimey, look at that lovely new logo.

Top comments

1. Press X to Gary Busey says:

Here's my suggestion: http://i.imgur.com/Q455SF7.png
  1. Zallgrin says:

1. The new logo feels weird, but I think I like it! Looks clean and sweet.

2. I am not so sure about the font in articles. I might get used to it, but right now it’s really bugging me.

3. The user profile still sports the old logo. Change it, pals^^

• Xocrates says:

The logo also felt weird to me because it seemed kind of familiar. In the meantime I figured out why: With the exception of the dotted “Paper”, the logo is very reminiscent of the Tomb Raider reboot logo.

• Sp4rkR4t says:

Any minute now Squeenix launch a tomb raider paper game, RPS sues them, wins and forces squeenix to make what it’s supporters vote for.

It’s all part of the plan.

• tnzk says:

Yeah straight up reminded me of the Tomb Raider logo. It’s a combination of the block type, and using red and white with some dirty textured effect layered on top.

Suppose it’s no worse than the old logo, but I like designs that really sing.

• suibhne says:

That was my immediate thought, too – like, within half a second of seeing it. The resemblance is so obvious and impactful that…A) can that really be how RPS wants to brand itself? and B) how does Squeenix feel about this?

• qrter says:

The dotted ‘PAPER’ also reminds me of the Star Wars logo.. I guess because it’s just black letters with a white outline.

• Syra says:

Ahh I was thinking it looked like FarCry3

Maybe they are trying to be more with the times ;)?

In any case… the “PAPER” is rather hard to read on some devices and is more or less invisible in thumbnails. Classic RPS ;)

• Optimaximal says:

It’s wry commentary on how we’re living in a paperless age!

• Shadow says:

Clearly, the intent is that PAPER is written in a dotted outline, as in “PAPER would go here if there were any involved”. Indeed commentary on the paperless digital age.

• Psychomorph says:

Looks very console, like a modern reboot of an old great classic. Not sure if like new direction…

Jokes (or not) aside, looks good.

• gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

Hooboy, yeah, the new font is larger, spaced wider… even in this box as I type it’s huge. I had to verify that my page wasn’t zoomed in.

Like the new logo… but not the new font.

lurkalisk says:

It is rather weird honestly, even if just for the fact that it reminds me way too much of MoH: Worf Fighter.

2. Hakkesshu says:

Ah, telling us about a new redesign instead of implementing it. A fresh take!

3. Deano2099 says:

The default ad-block install has been showing “acceptable ads” for a while now. They’re actually quite nice, and I believe the one GOG ad I actually clicked through and bought something after it flagged up a sale I was interested in.

That would never actually happen without ad-block, as everything just gets ignored by my brain at this point even if I’m not blocking them…

I’m curious as to what’s more valuable to you guys though – me always viewing but never clicking the big ads, or me occasionally (once a year or so) converting from one of the cut-down ads?

• Great Cthulhu says:

Ditto for the equivalent in Adblock Plus. I’d’ve disabled it completely for RPS, if not for those horrible, horrible Taboola things.

• Alfius says:

Sorry, this guilt tripped me into switch Adblock off briefly, I was immediately bombarded with some hideous, gigantic animation and invitations to engage in social media circle-jerkery. ABP went back on. I get that advertising provides revenue for web journalism but in the years since I discovered ABP it just seems to have become progressively more obnoxious – static banner ads I could manage with but what I just witnessed was horrid.

• LionsPhil says:

Whitelisting ABP but having a strict NoScript policy can help reduce that.

Ads are one thing; executing random code from advertisers is not, because that’s a common vector for exploiting browser vulnerabilities.

• schlusenbach says:

From time to time I disable Ghostery (which is my Adblocker) on RPS, but there is always something I really don’t want to see. When I do it now there is a selfstarting video integrated into the header ad for Startrek Online, six Taboola ads with ultra stupid clickbait headlines and two ads just with the words “Start Download”. So without the adblocker I’m probably one click away from some malicious shitware. I like RPS a lot, but that’s not acceptable advertising for me.

John Walker says:

I’m going to reply rather honestly.

This does rather piss me off. We bust our butts ensuring that our advertising is far less offensive than the norm, while also being primarily dependent upon it for paying our writers and staying online. We turn down ads, we demand they be changed, and we lose out on all manner of money we could get if we accepted the pop-ups and obscuring videos that our rivals use.

That Star Trek ad plays a slightly irritating video in the top right of the screen, at a point you’d never be looking when reading anything on the front page, and indeed doesn’t appear on the articles themselves. And here’s what you get for putting up with a tiny animation you don’t need to look at: the site.

When I visit our rivals, and (and this is all true and normal) the entire screen is taken over by a giant advert I can’t work out how to close, then when it’s finally gone a video creeps out of the text and starts playing in front of me, and then I realise I’ve been tricked into reading a sponsored post disguised to look like editorial, I like to imagine people appreciate us for doing none of that. We could be making the oodles of money such offensive ads bring in, but we turn it down, because it’s shitty.

We did at one point have a strange issue with a remnant Google ad suggesting it was going to download something. We were aghast, we immediately got it fixed, and it turned out it wasn’t actually downloading anything anyway. That sucked, briefly.

But without ads, RPS isn’t here. When we’re adblocked, we make less money, can afford fewer writers and articles, and the site gets worse or eventually goes away.

I get it. I DO block sites that use pop-ups or obscure their content (except for rivals, because I need to see how awful they’re being). But briefly glimpsing a tiny spaceship, or seeing some crummy Google remnant ad, is the minuscule price you’re paying for this amazing free website.

• AbyssUK says:

I believe RPS make a good effort on the ad side. Please realise us stuck at work who cannot us any adblock/plugins like you much more over your rivals.

• Deano2099 says:

If people hate ads so much though, what would actually happen if all those people turned off adblock overnight? Because the people using it are not the people that are going to convert to a click/purchase. They might disable it to “help you out” but they’ll never click anything. So then your conversion rate drops, and the ads become less valuable? Or not? I genuinely don’t know.

• Great Cthulhu says:

The Trek video ad actually does appear on articles, or at least this particular one. Not that I mind it much, but if it’s not intended to appear here, then something is broken.

• Telkir says:

I really do understand your frustration John and I entirely understand that the great work of RPS has to be funded by something, and ads are absolutely the best internet way. I’ll look into becoming a supporter again to throw some money your way, but meanwhile, my own point of view:

Without Adblocker, the site is a very frustrating browsing experience for me. Right now as I write this I’m getting regular multi-second freezes and lockups when I have the site unblocked on Adblock and Ghostery. These lockups are persistent for as long as I am on the site and don’t go away after a certain time. I am using Firefox. I have no other tabs open. Firefox is the only app open. My PC was freshly reinstalled with Windows 10 less than a fortnight ago. What gives?

Without ads, smooth as butter. With ads, instant frustration. It turns scrolling around the site frequently into a slideshow.

(For your reference, in case it’s important, current ads showing while I have this problem are the Just Cause 3 ones.)

John Walker says:

Ah Great Cthulhu (praise you) – that’s probably a region by region thing. In the UK we get the EGX ad.

When we say that us editorial people are uninvolved in ads, we’re not joking : ) We haven’t a clue what ads are where until we see them ourselves.

• Jeeva says:

As a question, how do you feel about Supporters who block adverts? At a guess the return on a year-long subscription is far better than single-viewer advert money for the same period, but… I’ve not run a website like this.

• LegendaryTeeth says:

I’ve had you guys whitelisted for ages, and I don’t mind the ads. At least the STO image has the person looking where they are firing, unlike their newer image: link to twitter.com

Taboola is pretty poops in general though. It would be nice not to see that.

I would like to join the supporter system (again, I used to be a paypal supporter), but I haven’t since there is (as far as I know) no RSS feed that includes the subscriber articles, and that’s the only way I know that there is something to read. I hope you can come up with a system for that.

I do like the supporter articles that show up in the general feed though, they are usually quite good.

Aerothorn says:

I was genuinely disgusted to find a “sponsored post” on PC Gamer that had been put into the general news writings – making it show up on my RSS feed. It tried very hard to convince you it was by the editorial staff.

When an journalistic institution attempts to destroy the divide between editorial and sales, it ceases to be a journalistic institution, whatever other fine qualities it may have.

• Shazbut says:

I really appreciate this. I’ll make sure not to block ads on here unless there is something truly horrible

• Steed says:

Do you get paid for display of the ads or do they need to be clicked?

The basic ones which appear with adblock on (Gamrnetwork or something) were actually of interest and I clicked a few. I only click ‘normal’ adverts by accident, usually trying to gain focus and clicking a background advert.

If you get money just for them being displayed I’ll turn off adblock (fruther to my comment way below).

• Shuck says:

Unfortunately the Star Trek ad is more than “slightly irritating” – for me it’s loading on all pages (including this one, right now), and includes looping audio, so I can’t watch any videos on the site.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I installed Adblock just this day and now I feel guilty for doing so. After a bit of deliberation I’ve disabled it for this site, because RPS never regularly bothers me with ads. In the rare instance that an ad annoys me I can just put up a Notepad window to block those ads, like I used to do pre-Adblock.

It’s actually Gamespot that made me finally install Adblock, because all the ads and videos there make my laptop start sounding like a vacuum cleaner from the 80’s. I also get “high memory usage” warnings when having more than a few Gamespot articles open at the same time.

• schlusenbach says:

Yeah, I feel guilty now, too. I never considered that this amount and type of ads is the result of an effort on your side to keep the site clean. I have no comparison to your “rivals”, because RPS is the only gaming site I visit. So if they are worse and show even more intrusive ads: I wouldn’t know.

But to be honest: I wouldn’t have a problem with static ads for games. But as I wrote in my initial post: autoplaying video-ads, unrelated Taboola-ads and ads for malware (and I checked: the “Start Download”-ads are indeed for scammy browser-bars) are not acceptable for me.

What I will do as a compromise: I will from time to time disable my ad-blocker and open several articles in the background. So you get the pageviews that way and I don’t have to get annoyed when I want to read RPS.

Skabooga says:

@Telkir: Have you tried disabling the Adobe Flash plugin when you visit Rock Paper Shotgun? That has greatly improved site performance for me while still allowing me to view ads and support RPS. If you are using Firefox browser, click on the little Lego block-looking button just to the left of the address bar, and that should pull up the relevant options.

At least, I think blocking Flash still allows my eyeballs to be counted by ad tracking software because I’m still seeing stationary ads and all. Someone who is more in the know please correct me if I’m wrong.

• Ashrand says:

I’m sorry John, I’ve allowed all under the sun, APB is turned off but the final advertising straw is “your browser history is ours” web bugs

Obnoxious video? full page popup? i can understand if it’s necessary, but targeted advertising is just too creepy to leave alone and stopping it means i see nothing at all (which only enhances the creep factor, like if they can’t sell my entire browsing history there’s no point).

I’ll be a supporter as long as i can afford to, but the tinfoil hat stays firmly on.

• silentdan says:

This is a tragedy-of-the-commons issue, the way I see it. We all need revenue, and for some businesses, advertising is the only stream that reliably generates enough. Then, someone realizes that being annoying grabs attention, and improves click-through. So everyone gets annoying. This generates a backlash, in the form of technologies that keep the annoyance to a minimum while stripping worthwhile businesses of much-needed ad revenue. So, faced with a choice between closing the doors, and carrying more annoying ads, businesses understandably choose the former … and the backlash intensifies. It goes around and around until advertising just stops working, and good people lose their jobs.

I really appreciate the effort RPS puts into minimizing intrusiveness, but if it’s still “over” some ephemeral “line” then the spiral still continues downwards. Keep trying, guys. Even when your efforts don’t yield a perfect solution, the prize you’re iterating towards is absolutely worth it. Worth it for you, in the accomplishment and the money. Worth it for us, because we’ll still have PC gaming’s finest site to read. Hang in there. I’ve been critical before, and will be again, but that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate your hard work.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I’m afraid the problem you have (whether it pisses you off or not), is that using a free and simple extension like ABP is much more convenient and enjoyable than using this site (or any other site) without it. The only time I have ever clicked ads was either because I thought it was site content, which pisses me off, or I clicked it by accident, which also pisses me off.

Expressing your ire at those who install adblockers is sort of futile really, in that even without one I’d still never click ads.

That and you could just block access to the site for people who use ABP or the like.

• silentdan says:

@Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather

In all fairness, you’re not addressing the money issue. They don’t host ads because muhahahahahahaha! They host ads because it keeps the doors open, and I, for one, am glad that they remain open. I hope they stay that way.

Also, explaining to AdBlock Plus users that they’re hurting the site, has persuaded many an ABPU to disable ABP for that site. next-episode.net is where I find out when new episodes of my shows are available, and they have a banner ad. With ABP active, the ad div doesn’t vanish, it’s just replaced by a polite request to disable ABP, which I chose to honour. Ars Technica also addressed me politely, and I have honoured their request as well. RPS asked me politely, and I’m trying to meet them halfway, because all the way is just too much. I disable Ghostery/ABP for RPS, but I don’t run scripts that don’t come from RPS (lookin’ at you, Taboola). I hope I’m not screwing RPS over, but just in case, I’ve also sent them some Supporter money directly, in the hope that it will make up for whatever I’m ruining.

We all want the websites we love to continue, so let’s be prepared to make a few compromises when necessary. We can sort this out, guys, it’s just going to take a few tries.

• lukibus says:

1. If you need page views of adverts then I can set up a firewall script to watch the traffic to your site and duplicate my viewing of your pages without any form of advertisement blocking. Would that do? Do you get a premium for Flash adverts or ones that take significant browser processing?
            2. If you need click-throughs on adverts then I can extend (1).
            3. If you need click-throughs on adverts that turn into purchases then I can’t help – if I’ve ever clicked-through a web advert then it was by mistake and have certainly never made a purchased that way. This has been my behaviour since the WWW was invented.

Just let me know :)

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

@silentdan

Ok, good point well made. Perhaps my own personal compromise should be to pay for the RPS supporter content :)

Besides, I don’t think that they are being pinky-eating Dr Evils by having adverts on their site, I’m just pointing out the futility of being pissed at users like me that enable ABP or the like, since the likelihood of me ever clicking an ad is none (lest i click one by accident).

I’m surprised there isn’t some kind donation system, other than the supporter program. I’ve used many sites in the past that are subsidized by donations, and have gladly donated in support, and I feel it’s a much better way of expressing my gratitude towards the content they provide. Ads (for me at least) are really fucking annoying, and I hate getting shit I don’t want shoved down my throat. So I guess the real problem lies with the fact that one has to deal with irritations or inconveniences to show their support. It’s a shame that there isn’t some kind of alternative really.

• InfamousPotato says:

Hey, just wanted to chime in to say thanks for keeping this site awesome. Sometimes, when I’m on a site a love and I start hearing the infernally annoying sound of an autoplaying video ad, I’ll think about getting adblock, but it’s sites like RPS that make me decide not to do so.

• Hebrind says:

Just thought I’d let you know that I use an Ad blocker in most cases but you make a really good point, I hadn’t even considered that this site that I love so much would function on ads as much as it does. I have made sure to make everything on RPS an exception.

I installed it mainly to get past the dross on YouTube, because who wants to endure a 30-second advert for a 15-second movie clip, right?

Anyway, keep up the great work, hope you see increased revenue after this article’s publication!

John Walker says:

If you ever have a video on the site that auto-plays with sound (without your mouse cursor hovering over it to allow it), then please email me at john at rockpapershotgun.com with details of which ad, and I will make sure it’s immediately stopped. We consider this absolutely unacceptable.

btw, the ST ad isn’t making any sound for me, so please also mention where in the world you are, in case it’s a regional issue.

• zarniwoop says:

I’ll pay you more as a supporter if you ask for it when it comes time to renew.

There is no way I’m turning off adblock or ghostery. If you want to serve carefully selected static ads off your own site, then adblock won’t affect that. Anything else, and I don’t want it near my eyeballs or my browser.

• Steed says:

Ahhh this! The site sometimes tells me I’m a supporter (little logo top right) but the account page says I’m not. No idea how long I signed up for or whether it’s really still active.

You need a system to tell us when you want more money!

• PancakeWizard says:

I don’t particuarly like you John, but I agree with you here and that’s why I read RPS with adblockers off.

• fish99 says:

I’m getting the animated Star Trek ad in the UK.

• slerbal says:

Oh gods Taboola. That thing is shit and upsetting – prone to displaying the most offensive/trollish headlines and trying to pass them off as being from RPS. Taboola and zergnet and all such similar things can die in a fire. Much as I love RPS if I had to have taboola unblocked to read it I would stop renewing my supporter pledge and stop reading the site.

John Walker says:

We ferociously police our Taboola to remove any inappropriate headlines/images, and certainly none of them suggest they’re RPS content.

• flibbidy says:

i hope taboola pay you a whack, they are pretty pooey

• Telkir says:

The only good thing about Taboola is that they don’t create any form of autorolling videos. Regardless, IMHO, they remain one of the most brain-melting, insidious clickbait ad companies out there and I second the sentiment that they need to die in a horrible, painful way. :(

• El_MUERkO says:

it sounds like you’re doing a lot of work to stop your advertisers being twats, is there no ‘less twatty’ advertisers? google or some such

• slerbal says:

Good for you! I wish more sites did. But like I said that is why I support the site as I do want you guys to get paid for what you do, but I’m unwilling to remove adblock so I happily forked over the $40 for two 6 month subscriptions so far.

• Stellar Duck says:

John, aside from the fact that half the site doesn’t seem to load for me when I unblock adds and disable Ghostery there are two links to scummy downloads on the front page alone when I don’t block.

Not to mention nine, yes nine, services attempting to track me.

I’m sorry, but that’s not on. So I’ve chipped in as a supporter. I just won’t have the on my computer. And then there is the atrocity that is Taboola.

• Crafter says:

That’s my issue with ad-blocking plugins.
      Ok, I need something to prevent popup & popunders (especially popunders, there isn’t any scenario where I could want one of these) or other really abusive ads but by default adBlock and other plugins nuke almost all the ads, including reasonable ones like the ones displayed on RPS.

• Kefren says:

Only today I tried to read RPS on my Kindle. I have no ad-block there, and it loaded an article for me, then froze in the rendering of one of the ads (I can’t remember what it was – maybe a first line about getting a new PC, or a need to upgrade – click here or something). Silk can be flaky but it reminded me of why Adblock Plus has changed my world – web pages load quicker, are less buggy, don’t spy on me so much, and don’t annoy me any more.

It’s just funny that the one time I tried to read an RPS article without it, the ad seemed to crash the browser. Yes, coincidence probably, who knows.

• FunkyB says:

I don’t think they are reasonable. Some are, but the taboola things are just gross and are the number one reason I use an ad blocker. Getting rid of the social waste of space down the right is a benefit, but taboola is awful.

• trn says:

I cannot view the RPS site on my Android phone without an AdBlocking app. If I try a full-page ad appears as soon as the RPS page I am reading has loaded – and it cannot be removed. I have to hit the back button, then reload the page, try to read a line or two before the ad pops up, then hit back, reload, etc. etc.

John Walker says:

Could you email me at john at rockpapershotgun.com with the details of what is being advertised, and ideally to where it links (tricky on Android, I realise), and I will make sure this is gone.

• Shuck says:

Ugh, I may have to install an ad-blocker now. I had installed a Flash blocker, largely to prevent problematic auto-loading videos on this site, but the ads seem to have moved to HTML5, because there’s an auto-loading, auto-looping Star Trek Online video making me miserable right now.

• suibhne says:

The mobile site is awful on iOS, anyway. It’s a really poor responsive site, even tho I think the desktop site is pretty good.

• Leonick says:

Actually, most ad-blockers don’t block anything by default. They only block things after you “subscribe” to a block list (which is generally the first thing they ask you to do). You could always go without a list and manually block the ad-networks you find unacceptable.

Personally I still wish someone would make an ad-blocker that could easily be set to blacklist mode instead of the default whitelist, i.e let me define for what sites I want ads blocked, not what sites I want them displayed on.

• skyturnedred says:

I really miss how Opera (12) did it. Just right-click on something, and choose “Block content” or something similar.

• skyturnedred says:

The only problem I have with ads here is the damn twitter feed on the side. Whenever I’m scrolling down the text in the article I get stuck scrolling the twitter feed instead. It’s a small thing, but annoying nonetheless.

4. Petethegoat says:

I still had the old logo cached, and I assumed the new logo was tongue in cheek.
    I mean, the ‘shotgun’ is the visual equivalent of ‘visceral’.

That said, happy birthday. :)

• Skeletor68 says:

Haha, had the same thought process. Still though, congrats to RPS for all of its great writing and growth.

5. Herzog says:

What? Change? Outrageous!

I demand the status like it was before! *grumbles and goes to visit ESR, which still looks like 2001*

6. Andrew says:

But, but, but “PC Gaming Since 1873”!..

• Andrew says:

Also, “Fixing un-underlined links and other amateurish mistakes through Stylish since 2013” by me.

• Syra says:

Ohh I just noticed the lack of that, thought it might be elsewhere.

I am dissapoint.

• caff says:

Yeah how the hell can you miss this off the new logo? I’ve been PC gaming since 1872 but that was with a single-valve steam compressor engine (SX).

• Rikard Peterson says:

I started out with the dual-valve steam compressor (SX2), me. (Well, before that, there was my parents’ ancient Department Of Science-based computer, but I mostly played Minesweeper and Nibbles (a snake-like) on that one, and my first attempts at programming involved messing with the code of that Nibbles game.)

• silentdan says:

Imposter! There was no SX2! If it has the floating-valve co-pressurizer, it’s called a DX, and that model was later improved to the dual-valve DX2.

• Hebrind says:

Yeah, I always found the “PC Gaming Since 1873” to be a really quirky and almost quintessentially British-humoured thing to say underneath your logo, it conjured mental images of handlebar-mustachio’d chaps in aprons outside a cute little shop on a cobbled street, flogging their PC wares.

Bring back the pedigree, I say!

7. ButteringSundays says:

Nice update! Hey it’s subjective and I’m sure everyone would approach it slightly differently (I personally think the second font is unnecessary), but it’s definitely an improvement over the old one, which was unfortunately stylised enough that it dated quite quickly.

Very brave of you adding a post about it – nothing is quite able to generate as many frothy, uninformed opinions as a redesign!

Grizzly says:

ooooh, neatness. Will the forum and comment section get a bit of a refurbish too?

John Walker says:

Lots of plans are in the mix. It’s always a case of what we can figure out, and finding time to do it. But both of those are on our list.

9. oWn4g3 says:

Love the new logo, however I’m going to miss the “PC Gaming since 1873” bit.

• Sonntam says:

Same. The logo is great, but I demand the “since 1873” bit to be added somewhere. Maybe as alt-text?

(Also, I like the new font! Really pretty!)

• bobmcjohnson says:

I second this. Bring back the “PC Gaming since 1873” bit!

Other than that, I like the new design, shiny but not too much.

distantlurker says:

Yes please.

• slerbal says:

Agreed. That bit of absurdism gives the entire site a unique tone and keeps trolls away. Bring back the slogan!

• xalcupa says:

Hear hear

particlese says:

Yeah, I’ll miss that last bit. “Rock Paper Shotgun” is still delightfully absurd as it is, but “PC Gaming since 1873” was the icing on the cake. Still made me smile every so often all by itself after all these years. Bringing it back as alt-text as someone else said seems like a good idea: It’s there, ready to comfort fogeys like us, and maybe it’ll delight the odd random passerby.

10. fractalr4 says:

Love the new fonts and logo. Is there a patreon link or some such? Doesn’t seem fair for those that use ad block on the web.

• Alec Meer says:

We’ve got the Supporter Program, though it’s a bit more lump sum-y than Patreon.

• Llewyn says:

The Patreon equivalent involves stalking the pubs of Brighton and Manchester until you spot one of the hivemind, then forcing them to accept beer.

It’s not quite as straightforward, but somewhat more personal.

• Alec Meer says:

Not much time in Brighton pubs for me now I’m a dad, but donations of beer, peanuts and toy robots through the letterbox sounds good

• fractalr4 says:

Thanks Ill have a look at that. Some way to drop the site a few squid on a more casual way would be good (like after a story or series that somebody has really enjoyed or something)

• Deano2099 says:

Any plans to do it as a monthly sub option? With my user hat on it’s more convenient and with my business hat on auto-renewing subs is far safer revenue than manually-renewing lump-sums.

11. Dawngreeter says:

I would like to express my protest and angry refusal to accept that things aren’t forever as they were on August 27th 2011. Which is when I got married and had a pretty awesome party. I also wore a kilt, which is a funny thing to do in Serbia. That was obviously the best day ever and any changes from how things were back then is clearly a descent into social anomie, degradation of human values and an uncomfortable reminder that the time hasn’t stopped an insult.

In conclusion, the new logo is nice but you should’ve used it four years ago.

12. Cinek says:

What happen to the font? Why is it so… big… and difficult to read?

John Walker says:

It actually, for most people, makes it easier to read. Which is why we’ve changed it. You can always Ctrl-scroll your mousewheel (assuming you’re using Chrome) to make it smaller, which might make it more comfortable for you.

• 2late2die says:

The new font is great guys. Definitely much clearer and easier to read. Now if the comment box can also be changed from this horrible monotype font that’d be really appreciated.

• Shiloh says:

“Monospaced” font (e.g. Courier, Lucida Console et al.), not “monotype”.

Monotype is a type foundry with a long and fascinating history.

• beforan says:

New font is most pleasing; I’d been thinking on and off for a while that it needed a change (though it was never enough to prevent me visiting)

• Cinek says:

The ctrl+scroll thing works in a firefox too. And it’s much better with one-tick-smaller text :)

• Cinek says:

OK, I compared it with a Chrome and it looks completely different out there. In firefox it’s oddly blurred while it looks relatively fine in Chrome.

I don’t know if you’re willing to do that, but I would recommend swapping font to the old one in a Firefox and leaving it in a chrome, cause it really looks weird, especially in the default size.

• qrter says:

The font’s not blurred in my Firefox..?

• LionsPhil says:

Fine for me in FF on Win 7 and Linux, yeah.

Although, aw, I thought the comment box might have actually been set to Inconsolata or something, but looks like it’s just browser-default monospace because on Windows I get ol’ Courier New.

• LionsPhil says:

Hmm. And yet the moment I post it drops the Roboto webfont and reverts to Arial. Something screwy going on with if that applies.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

I don’t know if it’s just Firefox being wonky but it’s randomly switching for me: link to i.imgur.com
      Firefox 39.0.3 on Xubuntu 15.04 if that’s relevant.
      And if I change the font settings in Firefox it looks like on the right if I refresh the page once and then it reverts to the bolder on the left on further refreshes.
      In Chromium it’s just the bolder font whatever I do so I guess that’s the correct one, even if that’s harder to read on my 1366×768 laptop screen.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

And it randomly switched to the thinner after I commented and then back to bold again when it loaded the respond page.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

It was annoying enough every time I visited the site that I had to solve it. The perpetrator was a font pack I installed a few years ago. I just purged /home/username/.fonts/ with a flamethrower and ran fc-cache in the terminal and now everything’s in order. :D

particlese says:

Hmm… I tried that and removing ~/.fontconfig/ and ~/.config/fontconfig/, but no dice here (Firefox 39.0.3 on Kubuntu 15.04). I’ll figure it out eventually or just kill Roboto altogether, but at least it’s not as hilariously bad as when I used to visit Polygon. I kid ye not: Every letter had an apparently random weight or slope.

I suspect a weird Firefox + OS interaction, because Polygon looks fine now while using the same Mercury typeface as it did back when it had the problem, and RPS looks nice and consistent in Rekonq, Android-Firefox, Firefox on Win7, and ELinks.

• iucounu says:

I much prefer the new font. It’s actually quite close to the one I use for ebook reading.

• Zarf says:

I had a similar issue – it’s because the new CSS uses Roboto if you’ve got it, Helvetica failing that, and then anything sans-serif.

If you don’t have any Roboto font installed, it will pull it from Google, because they are using Google Fonts.

Two solutions: 1.) Uninstall all Roboto fonts or 2.) Install the missing Roboto fonts by downloading the entire font family. It’s a free font, and you can get it here.

keithzg says:

You can also get it from Google themselves (it is their font, after all) from link to google.com (well, from the respective Google Fonts page after checkmarking everything and going to the download area in the upper-ish right side).

keithzg says:

Addendum: that’s what I did myself on this Windows 8.1 install I use for non-Linux games (whenever possible this machine is booted into Kubuntu instead) because for whatever reason on this monitor and setup Helvetica is weirdly hard to look at.

13. YogSo says:

This concept of change confuses and infuriates me.

14. iainl says:

Ooh. The new text in the articles and displayed comments is really rather nice. On the other hand, the fixed pitch font in where I’m typing this is a bit on the hideous side. So, swings and roundabouts.

15. slerbal says:

Nice font, but is it just me or is the site narrower? It’s a shame as it is now using only half my screen, but I guess it is what all the cool kids do now. As for fonts, I prefer serif fonts for readability, and sans serif for headings. But opinions etc.

As for adblock, sadly that will stay on but that is why I pay for the supporter programme and have done so since you launched it. I do want to support you, but not with ads that try and install software on my machine (which has happened both times I briefly turned off adblock). I will continue to be a supporter though, and given I never click on ads you are definitely getting a lot more cash from me that way :)

John Walker says:

Nope – it’s exactly the same width.

• Steed says:

Just turned adblock off briefly… the two flash ads, background, targeted and spam article links were too much for my gentle eyes. I am, or at least was, a supporter. Think it might have expired, so will reload.

16. demicanadian says:

I have problem with seeing smaller text, and this font is even worse – everything blurs…

17. DarkFenix says:

I mildly dislike the new logo because I’m a grumpy bastard and don’t like change, but mostly I don’t like the removal of “PC gaming since 1873”. It helped the site feel tonally different from all the others, frankly this new logo looks like specifically trying to be like everyone else.

18. Zaxwerks says:

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes! The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together!

I had to punch small cute fluffy animals… AND IT’S ALL YOUR FAULT RPS!!!

Having said that I love the new logo.

Naseer says:

Oh, Roboto, fancy :)

I like change, so yay.

20. Kefren says:

Features I hate: pullquotes, or “patronising-thicky-quotes” (luckily some helpful soul told me how to block them in Adblock); and articles split over multiple pages.

Compared to those, I’m neutral to the font and logo changes. Or rather, I preferred the old, but will probably get used to the new and cease to notice them.

I miss 1873. That was a great year.

May you have another 142 years of PC gaming.

• slerbal says:

Yeah I also blocked the pull quotes. They add nothing to the stories and just break my flow of reading. No idea if RPS still uses them, but the site is just fine without them.

• Barberetti says:

I disabled my pull quote blocker ages ago, and I haven’t noticed any since then. Still keeping it ready though, just in case.

John Walker says:

I think it was only ever Nathan who worked out how to use them.

Articles split over pages is done for necessity, rather than scummy pageview grabs. If something is more than 2000 words long, it starts to become a big load for the site, and a messy scroll for readers, so we split it.

• Kefren says:

Ha, there’s me still expecting them to pop up! Okay, the page split thing makes sense if it is to do with infrastructure. Otherwise I prefer it all on a single page so I can CTRL-F a keyword or reference, or save offline for reading later.

• Llewyn says:

I have no problem with split articles, even if they were purely for page hits (why should we, as readers, actually care about page hits anyway? Always seems like a ridiculous thing to complain about.)

However, where comment threads are split over multiple pages it would be great if the ‘recent comments’ sidebar thing were capable of directing to the appropriate page. If the comment’s not on the first page it just drops you at the top of the comments and gives up.

• silentdan says:

“Articles split over pages is done for necessity, rather than scummy pageview grabs.”

Um, I’m really not questioning your integrity, but this is demonstrably incorrect. I’ve read many a 2000+ word article, even in WordPress blogs (WordPress isn’t known for its high performance) and the difference between loading 200 words and 20,000 words is less than the difference between loading 500 words, and loading 500 words with a YouTube video. The words are really the least source of strain.

You can test this yourself; take one of your articles, copy it to an unpublished URL so that only you can see it. Time five loads and average them. Then go into the editor, select all, copy, and paste 10 times, so that the article is ten times longer. Save, close, and do the benchmark again. The methodology isn’t ironclad, but you’ll be able to see the scale of the performance hit. If the difference is over 20%, then I’m dead wrong about your site in particular, but you may have a malfunctioning component, because it doesn’t make much difference in my sites.

As for it being a “messy” scroll, well, that’s pretty subjective. I know there are people who prefer pagination, and while I cannot fathom how their alien minds work, I don’t want to anger them; anyone crazy enough to prefer pagination would surely kill a man for sneezing, much less messing with their favourite website.

That said, pagination bothers me so much that I first check to see if it’s there, and if it is, I just don’t read the article. Some of you may be thinking, “you can keep reading, man, just click the link for page 2.” That’s annoying but acceptable when I’m at my desk. Less so when I’m on a 1-hour bus ride, and I have to get off, go to a coffee shop with free wifi, click page 2, go back to the bus stop, wait for a bus, get back on, pay the fare again if my transfer expired while data-hunting, and get home late. This is why I don’t read paginated articles.

Ars Technica sometimes splits their articles into multiple parts, but if you use the Reader mode on your browser, or an offline reader like Pocket, it concatenates the pages, so people can keep reading. I get that AT surely uses a different CMS, so it’s not as if you can just call them up and ask nicely for a copy of the code that does it, but the point is, you absolutely can please both the Convenience Haters who want to have to keep clicking to keep reading, and the Ergonomic Orthodoxy, who prefer scrolling. The lack of this functionality has far more to do with RPSs priorities than it does with some inescapable necessity.

• Sarfrin says:

a) Your assumption that you know more about the back end of RPS than the site’s proprietors is silly.
          b) To be so annoyed by words being split over more than one page that you simply won’t read them at all is an amazing level of prima donna-ishness. Do you refuse to read books unless they’re printed on really long scrolls?

• silentdan says:

“Your assumption that you know more about the back end of RPS than the site’s proprietors is silly.”

I provided an admittedly slapdash litmus test that they could try, in order to demonstrate that I am (quoting myself, here) “dead wrong.” I’m totally open the possibility that their WordPress setup behaves differently than the norm, but I think such dramatic deviation is unlikely, and have expressed skepticism. Also, if there really is a performance issue, it might be easily fixable, once recognized.

I would never presume to know more about your body than you do, but if I’m a doctor, and I see a grapefruit-sized lump on your neck, I may share some thoughts, in the hopes that it helps you. This is like that.

“Do you refuse to read books unless they’re printed on really long scrolls?”

That’s extremely disingenuous, but actually, I kind of do; most of my reading these days is done via tablet, which arguably bears a closer resemblance to really long scrolls than a bound codex. In that case, I do it because I like reading a few books at once, and it’s much more convenient to carry a tablet than three physical volumes. In the case of paginated RPS articles, it’s because, as I explained, I don’t have internet access during my commute, and while asking me to click is one thing, asking me to disembark is quite another.

• somnolentsurfer says:

Your test assumes it was done to reduce page load on the user end, not on the server end. Yes, the difference between loading 2,000 words and 4,000 words is going to be barely noticeable, but the jump from 2,000,000,000 to 4,000,000,000 could be the difference between a working site and a crashy one.

• silentdan says:

No, it doesn’t; the client receives data apace with the server’s ability to deliver it. Client-side receipt time will not be faster than server-side sending time. In other words, if it slows down the server, the client will be slowed down proportionally, so measuring client times accounts for both possibilities.

If you’re saying that when many people access a long article, the server may be taxed more than paginated articles, I don’t see the logic. The text of an article is a very small fraction of the total number of bytes sent when an RPS page is requested. Let’s say it’s 100kb out of every 1MB, even though it’s nowhere near that much. A two-page article needs to send 1MB + 1MB = 2MB to deliver the content; a one page article needs to send 1MB + 0.1 MB = 1.1MB. It’s less taxing on the server to deliver monolithic articles, and by a good margin.

Your argument support writing shorter and/or fewer pieces, not pagination.

• Sarfrin says:

In your own analogy, it would be patronising and silly of you to assume I hadn’t already noticed the grapefruit sized lump on my neck and had it investigated. I also don’t think it’s sensible for a website to base design decisions on the needs of people who want to view it without an internet connection.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Why not open each page in a different tab? Then you wouldn’t have to get off the bus like an absolute mentalist.

• silentdan says:

I don’t actually get off the bus, I curse and close the article. Also, a lot of tablet-based browsers don’t hold multiple tabs in memory, so you switch to one you’d loaded before you left, and it just tells you you don’t have an internet connection. It was expecting to be able to fetch the page fresh again.

So, usually what I do is open 8 – 12 desktop tabs, and scroll down to the bottom of each RPS article. If it’s paginated, I close it. If it’s not, I click the “save to Pocket” button in my desktop browser, and that signals my tablet to fetch the document. Works great for Ars.

John Walker says:

You *really* need to get a tablet with 3G.

• silentdan says:

Really, John? I’ve stood up for you guys elsewhere in this thread, I’ve sent you Supporter money, and when I describe an inconvenience I’m having with your site, you suggest I spend an extra $100 on the next tablet I buy, along with a monthly fee to an extortionate 3G provider? Poor form. Plenty of WordPress sites play nice with offline readers. If you don’t want to be one of them, fine, but that’s not on me.

Phasma Felis says:

I really love you guys and I’ve paid for a subscription and everything, but if putting more than two kilobytes of text in a page is making your site chug, you are doing something wildly wrong. That much text was small potatoes on dial-up.

• zarniwoop says:

Seconded on getting rid of pagination.

Also could we have a full text rss feed? I’d pay extra for that.

• colorlessness says:

You can depaginate RPS articles with this greasemonkey script (not mine):

link to rockpapershotgun.com

21. icarussc says:

Fantastic work, ladies and gentlemen. May the hair on your toes never fall out.

22. Shiloh says:

New logo’s OK, apart from the fact that I can no longer to point to the one website on the internet older than me. Why did you remove the “PC Gaming since 1873” tag line?

As for the new font, well, it’s bigger alright… but I’m using Edge and it looks blurry, as if it’s been smoothed, screen-grabbed, and then anti-aliased. Like the first generation of PC fonts from 1873, come to think of it.

• Llewyn says:

I’m having the same problem with the font; it’s just a blurry mess. I don’t seem to be able to read a full article of it without having to look away for a bit.

Guess I need to avoid RPS for the rest of the week until I have time to figure out how to override it locally.

• Cinek says:

New website seems to be designed with Chrome in mind. It looks OKish out there. But really bad in Firefox.

• Llewyn says:

I’m happy to pay RPS every 6 months to read their articles but there’s no bloody way I’m switching to Chrome to do it (or surrendering my Firefox/Adblock combination for anything else either).

• All is Well says:

Font is blurry and… well, just off-putting for me as well, in W10/Firefox. It is fixable locally though – you need to install an addon called Stylish for your browser and then a style called
        RPS Betterify which should make the site display your chosen sans-serif font, e.g. the one you set in the browser options.

• All is Well says:

(alternatively you can just edit the style to whatever font you want to use – just replace “sans-serif” with the name of the font you prefer, “Arial” for instance)

• Llewyn says:

Hmmm, it now seems to be random on every page load whether I get the blurriness of Robota or the dull but legible alternative (which seems to be Arial rather than Helvetica).

Hopefully I can work around this by F5ing every time I get Robota.

23. trn says:

Happy bidet, but second (or tenth) the calls for restoring the ‘PC Gaming since 1873’ tag. Otherwise, I await some truly earth-shattering changes. Don’t go soft on us.

24. Tripkebab says:

This is how it starts guys. First the logo changes. Next thing there’s a banner at the top of the page saying part of the IGN network.

RIP RPS.. 1873-2015

25. Zarf says:

All fonts are showing up as very bold on my browser. Am I doing it wrong?

• Jams O'Donnell says:

What browser & OS are you on?

• Zarf says:

Aaaah, I think I figured it out. The CSS here has the font families starting with Roboto (Then Helvetica, etc), which is a Google font. For some reason, I have a Roboto font installed, but it was just Roboto Condensed Bold. So my computer used that. I went and installed the other Roboto fonts (They are free, after all), and everything looks much better.

• iucounu says:

Make sure you aren’t zoomed in to 125%, like I just found I was. Rightmost end of the omnibar, in Chrome.

26. clippa says:

My daffy brainbox is expecting to see something more literal when I look at that. Something like this

link to imgur.com

• Llewyn says:

Oh, I like that, you managed to keep it classy and subtle.

• Steed says:

Hmmm, nice – and doesn’t look so Tomb Raider-y

• BooleanBob says:

I’m on firefox, the site is unreadably bold compared to Chrome. I thought RPS had lost its nut until I realised it’s a browser issue. Hope it gets fixed soon, the intended new font is very nice!

• BooleanBob says:

Not sure why this reply ended up here. That’s is the RPS comment system for you. Plus ca change!

27. aircool says:

Yep. Best gaming site. New font is easier to read on my tablet things as well.

28. TimRobbins says:

I hope one of those planned changes includes migrating to Disqus. It would be nice to actually be able to track activity here.

Harlander says:

Bah! Fie upon that. I can’t use Disqus… *cough* from here.

• qrter says:

Oh for the love of God, please not Disqus, that piece of unhelpful garbage. Switching from WordPress to Disqus is just swapping a smelly poo with a slightly different smelling poo.

• TimRobbins says:

I didn’t realize it was so despised. Most systems have issues, I just prefer that one because it’s widely adopted and allows me to see all of the hate my comments receive across the internet regardless where I’m lingering. I like wordpress for many reasons, but receiving notifications via email is just awful.

29. Anthile says:

Will the edit function ever make a comeback?

30. Retne says:

I’m the same as many here: I like the new logo, but also loved the “Gaming since…” tag. No particular reason, just set out the tone of the site. Not the end of the world.

A lot less keen on the new font, but I should leave it a week to see if it will grow on me or decide if I can be bothered to hack the css (locally) to change that. I wonder if this is a mobile vs desktop thing – is that new font better on mobile? Maybe Jeremy could do a “best monitor for the new font” thing for tomorrow?

Anyway, Happy Birthday to you. Great work, etc.

Other thoughts:

_Have_ you added rewards in the year for being a supporter?

I’d quite like a sidebar that filters support posts for me, so if I’ve used a PC when I’m not logged in, or my cookie has randomly gone AWOL, I haven’t missed anything when it’s as fresh as it can be.

Ta ta my loves,

R

31. Synesthesia says:

I like it!

Does this mean I can edit my comments now?

• Synesthesia says:

nnope. Sigh.

• LionsPhil says:

Guess a lick of CSS paint was deemed more important.

Kirrus says:

The plugin that allowed comment editing decided to try and overload the site by being daft and storing everything about anyone who used it in a strange format.

Replacing or fixing it is on the todo list, but it’s hard to find something that’ll not cause more problems than it solves. Keeping the site online at this scale of traffic is… interesting! :)

32. LennyLeonardo says:

I like the new logo, except… no commas! I don’t know if I can cope.

Bluerps says:

I like it!

34. James says:

Looks nice, obviously I preferred the old font (who likes sudden change, eh?) but I’m sure it will grow on me. Though I will say that the page takes about 7 seconds to load in full and perform as quickly as it did yesterday (no scroll stuttering or lag). Hopefully loading times will improve – looks quite nice though!

35. Barberetti says:

New logo = Great

Removal of “PC Gaming since 1873” = Shit

Still, overall I’m liking the changes, and it’s nice for said changes to be an improvement for the first time in years.

Who knows, maybe one day I’ll finally be able to remove the counter-weight from the right side of my monitor!

36. Samuel. R says:

Looks good. Also, just have to say, the hands-on approach you all take to monitoring the ads on the site and engaging with people here who have specific problems with specific ads, is great. I don’t see the ads anyway because a kind soul on reddit brought me 12 months worth of sponsorship, but it’s nice to see a site have some standards about the ad content.

37. Zenicetus says:

New logo is fine. The new font is okay, but why is there greater line spacing in the Comments than in the Articles? It just means more scrolling to read everything.

Also there is a weird fixed space font in the text box for posting a comment now. The box is already small, why make it even harder to read what what we’re posting?

• LionsPhil says:

How’s that make it harder? Finally you can place a cursor accurately within words like “illiterate”.

• Zenicetus says:

Other than driving a cursor with a finger on a tablet or phone, I’ve never had a problem doing that. And it’s supposed to be a PC-oriented site, right?

If it were a good idea, we’d see more sites using it. This is first time I’ve ever a font this wide and monospaced in a text entry box.

• LionsPhil says:

It’s not just a question of input device, it’s a question of being able to see which side of which ‘l’ the cursor is in “il|literate”.

This is not new, just forgotten. Classic MacOS UI text fields used to have a big ol’ chunky font for this reason. (And probably an accident as much as anything here.)

I’m still not sure how you think it makes anything harder.

38. AbyssUK says:

OH OH OH can we have a logo competition!! I can make a much better logo

39. TomxJ says:

‘Paper’ Needs some work guys. Maybe outline the type to the inside of the letters? That way you won’t balls up your letter spacing. Also I’d Kern the ‘PAP’ alittle.

‘Paper’ is harder to read, especially at smaller sizes. Have you tried reverseing the dotted line? so its inside white type like stitching?

But I think my main issue is that I see broadwaylights rather than dottedlines. I thinking more Chicago than ArtAttack when I look at the logo (maybe thats what you’re going for, you are fabulous!).

Another idea could be to take the oppotunity to add a little scissors pictogram?

40. Shizzle says:

Nice!

…BUT I still had to fix two things in the new logo. The spacing between E and R in PAPER. It was too tight. And I changed the size of ROCK, made it tiny bit bigger in order to balance the size of ROCK and PAPER. Visually ROCK seems too small right now compared to PAPER.

Here image with new improved logo on top.

link to imgur.com

Oh and bring back “PC Gaming since 1873”. DO IT!

41. stblr says:

I like the new logo! The font is fine in the article body but seems a bit overblown when applied to comments. Speaking of comments, any chance we’ll see an overhaul of the Comments section any time soon? I’m speaking specifically about in-line commenting; it feels weird to go to reply to someone only to be redirected to the bottom of a completely different page.

42. Craig Stern says:

Cool! I like the new layout and font; it’s very clean.

I *almost* like the new logo, except for the “Paper” part; my brain wants to read those dots as an old-timey electric bulb sign, and it’s causing me some cognitive dissonance.

• James says:

Yeah, I’m also seeing them as bulb lights, quite distracting actually. Other than that, I like it.

• LionsPhil says:

I wonder if it’d work better if they used horizontal lines, like stacked sheets of paper (…or the IBM logo since 1972).

• Jenks says:

I just assumed it was supposed to be lights.

43. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

The new logo is great. My only suggestion is a gif of every RPS writer dancing along the top of the page. Until that time, RPS is dead to me.

44. rexx.sabotage says:

not just decent

but, mad decent

45. Hexedian says:

Seriously, the rock isn’t made of stone, and the paper isn’t made of paper? Missed opportunity, RPS…

Also, please avoid wasting precious pixels by making the logo bigger vertically. Yes it matters darn it, stop asking!

46. fish99 says:

Wish you could dedicate more horizontal space for comments and allow more indent levels. The site uses half of my screen, the comments just a third.

47. namad says:

The articles need to be centered. The text I want to read needs to be in the center of the screen. There is no way around this. It’s the objectively correct choice, and a couple years ago RPS moved away from it. Thankfully my center RPS greasemonkey script still works.

• Barberetti says:

Yeah, it’s MySpace levels of bad. Thankfully, some kind soul made a Stylish thingy called Rock Paper Centered, which I’ve been using ever since. Good job too, as for a short while I was faffing about loading RPS, then adjusting the browser’s window to fit the site, then moving the browser into the centre of the screen. Right pain in the arse. In the end I had a separate browser already set up like that, just for RPS.

So yeah, thanks to the person who wrote that script/style whatever you call ’em!

John Walker says:

I believe it’s resolution dependent. Narrow your browser and it’ll left align, but widen it and it’ll centre.

heretic says:

hmm, it seems still a bit to the left even full screen on a wide screen – something’s not right! 1080×1920

heretic says:

ah I’ve figured it out, the article + the news and things column + the just cause video column are the centered part (the black background on either side of these three are the same size), which does make the article look like it’s to the left.

Ascii picture which probably won’t appear correctly just to confuse things :P art is the article (3 units), c are the news and things column and the advert column (1 unit each)

art c c
          –|—|-|-|–

• Barberetti says:

I have my browser maximised. At 1280×720, the whole site is up against the left side of the screen. Change to 1920×1080, and it’s still to the left but not as bad.

Eh, I’ll just stick to using the script.

• fish99 says:

It’s not centered at 1920*1080 or 1440*900 with my Firefox/Chrome maximized. Doesn’t bother me though.

48. Laurentius says:

I wonder if this browse button “Pick a month” will return ? I really liked it.

49. Dogsbody says:

Wouldn’t you have wanted to make the Shotgun part of the logo look as though it had been shot with a shotgun, instead of look like somebody kicked some dirt across it?

50. DrScuttles says:

My perfect redesign would be awash in hot pink with electric blue trim and desert chrome everywhere. But this is pleasantly shiny and clean and most acceptable.