ARK’s Survival Of The Fittest Makes Crafting Tense

Ark: Survival Evolved [official site] has found a huge audience as a long-term, surprisingly friendly crafting and survival game, but the approaching Survival Of The Fittest mode is aiming for something different. It drops a group of players into the world with few supplies and a re-balanced progression curve and challenges them to be the last person standing. In other words, it’s Battle Royale with dinosaurs.

We were invited to try the mode before release, and although server problems cut the experience short, there’s a video below of intrepid RPS freelancers Andro Dars and Steven Messner eating berries, collecting wood and dying heroically in the cold.

[If 720p isn’t available, it’s because the video hasn’t finished processing just yet – give it a few minutes and come back!]

Survival of the Fittest is designed to offer a portion of the Ark experience in quicker rounds, by pushing players towards combat with one another through in-game events (loot drops, dinosaur drops, etc) and by announcing deaths in the sky with dramatic fanfare. It’s also specifically designed to make the normally sedate, long Ark game a better viewer experience – although you can judge whether it succeeds for yourself by watching above.

Apologies for the abrupt ending!

Remember to subscribe to the RPS YouTube channel for more of whatever it is we do.

This video was made possible by the RPS Supporter program. Thanks for your funding!

1. GHudston says:

Does the game still allow you to adjust your characters proportions to the point of absurdity? It seems like the sort of thing I could get into, I just couldn’t take it seriously when every person I bumped into was the hulk or pop-eye.

2. OscarWilde1854 says:

If I played this, I would just spawn into the middle of a group of raptors or something and die immediately.

• fish99 says:

Everyone spawns in a circular arena at the center of the map, you then have the choice to turn and run into the forest or rush for some loot in the middle, but either way there’s no dangerous dinos around the start area.

• Cleave says:

Hunger Games with dinosaurs then? Sounds fun

• cressk says:

they even do the sky projections when deaths occur. been watching Lirik play it a few times on twitch and it’s great spectator stuff.

3. Rizlar says:

Surprisingly entertaining! :D

Skabooga says:

The ending was pretty tragic. Now I know how the all the dinosaurs left over from the meteor strike felt.

Wisq says:

Watched the ending, didn’t have time to watch the whole thing (plus I’d like there to still be some surprises). I gather they (or at least, the guy) died from the cold, but was it just from it being nighttime and them leaving it too late, or was there some sort of event making it extra cold?

5. Xzi says:

Not sure a competitive mode really works all that well in a survival crafting game, but the video was entertaining. I’d prefer they focus more on refining the core experience before adding more game modes, as well. I mean, they couldn’t even get through a thirty minute video before the whole thing crashed. On top of that, the UI needs a pretty significant overhaul, and optimization issues abound (frame rate drops also mentioned in the video).

6. hawken.grey says:

Is it still the case in this game that you can be ganked and all your stuff destroyed/stolen while offline? That just seems like the most stupid game design I’ve ever heard of and it has really prevented me from trying this.