Dying Light – The Following Adds An Enormous New Map And Customisable Vehicles

As the only member of RPS who recognises the brilliance of Dying Light [official site], I’m probably the only person here who is delighted by the reveal of a huge, meaty expansion. A new map as big as the one in the original, customisably buggies to drive around in and rural areas to sit alongside the urban environment of the base game. I had a very quick play with some of the new weapons at Gamescom – picking people of silently with a crossbow and mowing zombies down with an assault rifle – and took the vehicle for a spin. It’ll be fully customisable, as well as providing a new skilltree to work through. Possibilities include blades on the wheels, a flamethrower on the roof or UV lights on the side panels. Video below.

I appreciate Dying Light on many levels and covered all of that in my review. To recap, here are my favourite things about the game:

1) The zombies act like drunk people who seem extremely disappointed with the state they’ve gotten themselves into. Sometimes they just lean against walls, look at you wearily and then vomit onto their shoes.

2) Its driven by smart systems. When the sun is setting and the nearest safehouse comes under attack, I panic and clamber onto the nearest rooftop, preparing to engage in a three-way battle.

3) I once kicked a zombie so hard that all of its limbs fell off.

Soon I’ll be able to add “ran over so many zombies that my buggy flipped onto its roof and I burst into flames”. Oh, and when night falls in the great outdoors there will be new threats to deal with. Think faster creatures, capable of chasing your vehicle while you’re stranded between safe houses.

All of this will plug into the base game rather than happening at the end of it. There’s a new story – something about a cult who probably worship some god of the undead – but you’ll be able to unlock the expansion location and vehicle (which only works outside the city as far as I know) by completing a mission in the city. How far into the game that comes, I don’t know but it won’t be too late.

The Following is included as part of the season pass but we don’t have a release date yet.

1. Thurgret says:

Dying Light really shines as a co-op game.

• Stevostin says:

I certainly don’t ever want to play it co op, but that what true as well of Dead Island. To me DL is the ultimate zombie game. It’s FPV (mandatory for scare, sorry others)(although… TWD is also the ultimate zombie game to me… hmm…), it’s scary and oppressive, it’s super weel done on every aspect, gameplay is quite the thing – just moving through the city is enjoyable, but so is melee, the story while criticise is absolutely fine which is more than I can say of many AAA games (Hello Far Cry 3/4 ?). I am sure there’s nothing wrong with its multiplayer but I also know you can’t shit your pants as soon as you’re not playing alone. Spending a night on “Infamy Bridge” to steal some bulbe has been pretty intense for me in solo. A chat with “sorry lol” etc would have ruined it for me.

• airtekh says:

That’s an awesome mission.

Never has something as mundane as fetching a lightbulb felt so intense.

2. rustybroomhandle says:

“I had a very quick lay with some of the new weapons”

That good, huh?

3. badmothergamer says:

I thoroughly enjoyed DL at release, playing through to the finish which is incredibly rare for me. It was very smooth and lots of fun. I never understood the criticism of the story and acting. It wasn’t great but the majority of games aren’t very good in that regard.

For whatever reason I have no desire to go back though. I haven’t touched it since finishing the last mission. A vehicle and a few new zombies certainly aren’t going to bring me back but this does look like something I may pick up when it hits the 75% off mark and explore the new map for a few minutes.

4. XhomeB says:

So… what’s the consensus? Is DL worth buying at this point? Or is it just as repetitive as Dead Island?…
    How’s the PC version, any FOV options?

• kud13 says:

Totalbiscuit did a “WTF is?…” on it. Check it out, he usually starts by talking about PC options and such.

• montorsi says:

It’s the enhanced edition of Dead Island. It’s not bug riddled, the graphics are superbly done and it has good parkour. I would say DL is one of the better games released this year. Is it worth buying? I think that’s up to the individual. For me, it was totally worth it. I fire it up anytime I’m in the mood for a little heart-pounding excursion after the sun has set on Harran.

• RegisteredUser says:

Let’s not forget mentioning that it was a shoddy port with horribly broken performance for AMD users for over half a year which took over half a dozen patches to get remotely into shape.

Let’s keep the praise proportional to what actually happened. On-release buyers got shafted very, very hard.

5. RegisteredUser says:

AFAIK various people complained the weapons were behind hard/near impossible achievement unlocks, a terrible practice that another game, Payday 2, has also gone for.

I very much disapprove. If you pay for a weapon DLC, you should actually get that weapon, not have it locked behind xx hours of grind or a near impossible challenge mode.