Is Intel’s Skylake Finally A New CPU To Get Excited About?

Hello, good evening and give it up for an all-new Intel CPU. By chip industry standards, it’s been a long time coming. But with a nonchalant shrug of its 14nm FinFETs, Intel’s new Skylake chip has crashed the desktop PC party. Dare we hope for genuine progress? Or is the new Core i7-6700K yet another samey CPU from Intel? I also have an early take on the new Z170 platform that pairs with Skylake, in the form of MSI’s Z170 Gaming M5 motherboard. Without giving much away, Skylake is something we desktop gaming dinosaurs can definitely get excited about. But not necessarily for the reasons you might expect.

Note:
There’s a fair bit to get through this week, so I’ve provided a TL;DR at the bottom for anyone who can’t be bothered.

Skylake, then. It’s actually Intel’s second-generation 14nm processor. That means it’s a ‘tock’ in Intel’s Tick-Tock chip development parlance, and so an all-new design.

The ‘tick’ that begat Skylake’s ‘tock’ in this instance (confused yet? I am) is the blink-and-you’ll-miss-it 14nm Broadwell family. Actually, I did miss it since I’ve not covered the distinctly peculiar Broadwell Core i7-5775C and Core i5-5675C desktop chips. You can read about them here.

The odd back-to-back launches and peculiar specification of those Broadwell chips (they’re expensive, have pointlessly powerful integrated graphics, but as pure CPUs are mostly no faster than previous Intel chips) are down to Intel’s difficulty in getting to grips with its 14nm silicon production tech.

But look on the bright side. Intel could have pushed this new Skylake chip out to later this year, leaving Broadwell some breathing space. Instead, it cooked up some oddball Broadwells to fit into a tiny niche and rolled out Skylake soon after.

Those new CPUs in full

Specifically, there are two new CPUs and a new chipset and socket to go with them. The CPUs are the Core i7-6700K, which I’ve had my hands on, and the cheaper Core i5-6600K, which I haven’t.

This is Skylake.

Spec-wise, we’re talking four cores for each with Hyperthreading and thus support for eight software threads restricted to the i7 model. Yup, that’s exactly the same as we’ve seen for at least the last five years.

Clockspeeds haven’t exactly exploded upwards, either. In fact, the 6700K’s maximum 4.2GHz Turbo speed is actually 200MHz slower than the old Core i7-4790K, from the 22nm Haswell generation. The 6700K’s 4GHz nominal clockspeed is at least a match for the 4790K. But that means a Turbo boost of just 200MHz. What, exactly, is the point?

Whatever, the Core i5-6600K seems to make more sense by both increasing clockspeeds all round with a modest 100MHz over the old Core i5-4670K, and by maintaining 400MHz of Turbo boost with 3.5GHz nominal and 3.9GHz boost clocks. But either way, with no big changes to clockspeeds and no additional cores, the only chance that these chips have of delivering a tangible performance bump is by design improvements to the cores.

You will need a new motherboard, it is the way of things.

Problem is, Intel long ago pinched all the low-hanging fruit when it comes to improving its CPU cores. Then its engineers climbed the higher branches and tore the tree bare. Put simply, its current x86 architecture is ruthlessly optimised and it’s likely that nothing short of a massive and risky design revolution would deliver a big gain.

Long story short, there’s not much in the official documentation about the specifics of any changes to Skylake’s CPU cores for Skylake and, as we’ll see, what changes there are haven’t made a big impact. Ditto the new graphics architecture for Skylake. There is one and it’s in the 6700K, but details beyond a bump to 24 execution units are sparse. In any case, I didn’t try the integrated graphics because it’s bleedin’ integrated graphics, which isn’t something we have to or should resort on a desktop PC.

The new Z170 chipset and LGA1151 socket
At this stage you’ll be wondering what the devil there is to be remotely interested in with Skylake. So here it comes. Firstly, there’s a new platform, chipset and socket. The bad news is that means you can kiss goodbye to backwards compatibility with older motherboards. It’s a goner.

DDR4 is part of the new Skylake package, too.

The new LGA1151 socket only works with Skylake chips, so you’ll need a new motherboard. And some new memory, for now at least. That’s because the first motherboards based on the new Z170 chipset require expensive, relatively new DDR4 memory. However, Skylake’s memory controller is actually compatible with DDR3L (the low-voltage version of DDR3 memory). But we’ll have to wait a while for compatible boards.

Bags of bandwidth for USB devices and SSDs
In the meantime, there are a few other features worth noting when it comes to Skylake motherboards. Our example board in this case is MSI’s Z170 Gaming M5, the entry-level effort in MSI’s enthusiast gamer range and yours for about £150.

Look carefully, and you’ll see a load of bandwidth-friendly features. Firstly, there’s a pair of M.2 ports for super-fast SSDs (see our guide to these here). Sadly, only one of them will run in the faster PCI Express mode at a time, however. With two M.2 drives installed, the other will default down to slower SATA mode.

Your M.2 SSD goes here. You have got an M.2 drive, right? Ah.

Then there’s the back panel. You’ll find no fewer than four different USB ports reside therein. You get a couple of USB 2.0 ports. Then there are four faster USB 3.0 sockets, a feature provided natively by the Z170 chipset.

Next up is a standard Type-A USB 3.1 port that doubles USB 3.0’s bandwidth to 10Gbps. And finally, there’s a USB 3.1 Type-C port which is the teensy little oval-shaped hole that not only offers big bandwidth, but also fully reversible connectivity, just like Apple’s Lightning connector. In other words, it doesn’t matter which way round you stuff the cable in, it just works.

As if that wasn’t confusing enough, for reasons unknown to science most motherboard makers have taken to referring to USB 3.0 as USB 3.1 gen 1, while USB 3.1 proper becomes USB 3.1 gen 2. It’s ridiculous, but now you know.

Just your common-or-garden USB 3.1 gen 2 Type-C port.

Whatever, what’s really critical to understand is that the new Z170 chipset has been upgraded to native PCI Express compatibility with a total of four lanes. To enable these lanes to actually deliver on that performance promise, the speed of the interface between the chipset and the CPU, known as the DMI bus, has been doubled. The Skylake CPU itself still has 16 lanes.

The upshot of all this is that you can connect an M.2 SSD at proper PCI Express 3.0 speeds without pinching lanes from the CPU and in turn from your graphics card.

Old-school overclocking returns

The other big news with Skylake involves overclocking and specifically the freeing up of the baseclock for overclocking as an alternative to the multiplier. In recent years, baseclocks in Intel chips could only be tweaked in big ratio jumps (ie 100MHz then 125MHz and 166MHz) and the result combined with a multiplier-locked CPU was usually a non-bootable system. It wasn’t a terribly relevant tool. Now you overclock in 1MHz intervals.

In my testing, I achieved the same overclock (4.7GHz, for the record) for the 6700K chip using both the baseclock and the mutliplier, the latter being unlocked on the first Skylakes due to their ‘K’ series specification. What’s really interesting, of course, is the prospect of future Skylakes with locked multipliers which in theory should really benefit from the fully accessible baseclock. Could the good old days of clocking the twangers off a cheap Intel chip be back? It seems possible, but I’ll believe it when I actually see it.

This has nothing to do with overclocking, sorry. But get a load of those four different USB port types.

In the meantime, I can confirm that the new 6700K performs almost no differently from the old 4790K. OK, there are a few percentage points here and there in the new CPU’s favour. And the odd synthetic benchmark runs a lot faster, most obviously in memory bandwidth thanks to that DDR4 memory.

But in subjective terms, you wouldn’t feel a thing going from a decent Haswell chip to Skylake. If this launch was just about the 6700K and 6600K CPUs, therefore, it would be a total bust. But the platform tweaks and the added overclocking opportunities make it a lot more interesting than the last couple of Intel refreshes, mercifully.

More about Z170 motherboards
On a final point of order, it’s worth noting one further change. Intel has removed the CPU voltage regulator from the chip, which means it’s now back on the motherboard. The reason is to do with managing thermals, but the important point is that it makes motherboard component quality more critical for overclocking.

Well, that’s the theory. I’ve tested four different motherboards, including the MSI’s big Gaming M7 brother and a couple of cheap Asus boards, the Asus Z170-A and the Z170 Pro Gaming. Every single one achieved the same 4.7GHz maximum overclock with my particular 6700K sample. The only deviation involved the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, which achieved the same 4.7GHz baseclock result in theory, but when actually in Windows tended to clock down under load. It was fine when overclocking via the multiplier. Is this a harbinger of things to come with cheaper Z170 boards? Possibly.

An entry-level enthusiast board like the MSI Z170 Gaming M5 is probably the sweet spot for Skylake mobos.

All of which means you’ll probably need to be that little bit more careful when choosing a motherboard for overclocking future cheap Skylake. But if the MSI Gaming M5 is anything to go by, you won’t need an absolutely bleeding edge board. Something in the middle market with just a little more attention paid to component quality will do.

TL;DR
– Intel has launched two new 14nm Skylake CPUs, the Core i5-6600K and the Core i7-6700K.

– There’s a new Z170 chipset and a new socket, too, so you’ll need a new motherboard.

– For early motherboards, you’ll need some new DDR4 memory, too.

– Performance of the new CPUs is completely uninteresting.

– However, the new Z170 platform has lots of lovely bandwidth with added support for fast PCI Express SSDs and USB 3.0

– The new platform now allows for overclocking CPUs via the baseclock, which could prove very interesting when cheaper Skylake CPUs with locked multipliers are released.

– Intel has also moved the CPU voltage regulator onto to the motherboard, which makes motherboard quality more critical for overclocking.

– Finally, watch out for Z170 motherboard makers using ‘USB 3.1 gen 1’ to mean USB 3.0 and ‘USB 3.1 gen 2’ to mean USB 3.1.

1. CookPassBabtridge says:

4.7 is looking like the common number for this first retail batch. Those early engineering samples going 5.0GHz+ certainly served to whip up interest and I will watch closely to see what later batches will do. Being an avid flight simmer I’m always looking for more pure CPU grunt to sate their video-game-performance-trend bucking ways (and my endless appetite for resource hungry addons). I don’t think skylake is going to give much over the last generation.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I think the chipset is the most interesting part, but when it comes to the CPU itself the only hope left is that Kaby Lake ( the refresh ) will finally bring some good overclocks.

I might start saving some more and just wait for the E version, provided we’re not on X99 again because i’d love all the new features.

Silly small chips these are, with their need for delidding due to the crappy paste and their real estate hungry dedicated GPU.

• geisler says:

“Provided were not on X99 again”. We won’t, Broadwell-E will still be X99, Skylake-E should be new chipset and socket, for all that will be worth. I wouldn’t expect much, although that depends on your workloads of course (but this is a gaming website, so i assume your setup will be for gaming).

For me personally, not even a 20% performance increase warrants a motherboard / CPU swap. I went from a 5 year old i5 750 to an i7 5960X last year, but if it wasn’t for work, i would’t have even bothered yet.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Some rumors wanted broad-E to be skipped, if those are true i hope for a chipset change that would however be against the usual trends. Also because I wouldn’t want to wait too much.

The reasons for the upgrade would be mostly philosophical, the big chip with soldered HS, the huge motherboard, the lack of the dirty and evil I-gpu in favor of the real meat, quad channel and overkill all around when it comes to features and PCI lanes.

Since recently my disposable budget is increasing IF i upgrade I want something I can be proud of for years and years, after all longevity nowadays Is no longer an issue.

• SuicideKing says:

Of course it won’t give you much over the last generation, this has been true since Sandy Bridge.

But, consider that the 6700K has 25% better IPC performance on an average than the 2600K, and both overclock to about the same. If you look at stock clocks, then the delta is quite large.

Skylake also seems to have an improved Turbo Boost, so all 4 cores hit the Turbo clocks, unlike Broadwell and older.

Everyone on Nehalem and older may consider upgrading – my Core 2 Quad Q8400 will finally be replaced this year with the 6600K. Arma 3 demands it. :D

• Nasarius says:

Yeah, all the incremental improvements each year means that after six or seven years, you’ve actually doubled the performance of my i7 920 in every CPU benchmark.

Time for me to build a new PC. But I am going to wait and see what’s released at the Intel Developer Forum. I wouldn’t mind a better integrated GPU than what’s on the 6700K.

• Arbodnangle Scrulp says:

i7 920 user here too, I’m a PC enthusiast but I just haven’t seen anything in recent years to convince me to upgrade. Perhaps the Oculus Rift/HTC Vive will get me to evict the moths from my wallet.

2. TimRobbins says:

My wallet much prefers the highly optimised tech over drastically increased performance. Once the next big thing that keeps Moore’s Law above water hits and this drops to a midrange price, I’ll be building a new PC with Skylake i7 along with the optimised GPU equivalent (gtx 980ti or whatever that will be). Cheap, efficient, functional. Adequately satisfactory.

• Pulstar says:

I like this approach!

• Unclepauly says:

In other words, tou pass.

• Gryz says:

Intel does not lower the price of its CPUs. During the time that a family of CPUs is the latest, the prices might fluctuate 10% or so. Once the next family of CPUs is released, the price stays the same. For years. Its been like that for years.

Completely different from GPUs. There prices will drop when a new family of GPUs is released. And it often keeps dropping until none of those GPUs are for sale anymore. Not so for Intel CPUs.

So you might want to revise your plan.

3. MiniMatt says:

Is there a noticeable power efficency jump from the move to 14nm? Figuring that improved power efficiency means less vigorous cooling needs and hence less noise.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Actually, the TDP increased coming from Haswell and Devil’s Canyon, something seems really botched about these current samples, as the voltage is stupidly high as in not dissimilar from my Sandy Bridge, which absolutely shouldn’t happen.

I think we need some further steppings or a whole refresh, something’s fishy and it’s pretty weird that Intel still hasn’t disclosed many in depth details this time around.

• MiniMatt says:

That’s… disappointing. But at least makes me feel less like the sucker for recently upgrading to an i5 haswell.

Thanks for the info :)

• SuicideKing says:

The 6600K seems fine, it’s the 6700K that seems to have weird voltage/temp/power issues. I think most sites were using engineering samples or something of the sort, and same for the motherboards (and some of them had Beta BIOSes).

Hopefully the stuff that’s going out to retail is better binned.

I’m more disappointed that they didn’t stick to the Devil’s Canyon way of attaching the IHS.

4. Amatyr says:

“Performance of the new CPUs is completely uninteresting.”

Cheers! Time to keep on looking at the upcoming Acer X34 for my next upgrade then.

5. Jediben says:

Absolutely no point in this new platform as far as gaming frame rates are concerned.

6. Xzi says:

I read the TLDR and I’m still not sure what it was I was supposed to get excited about.

• Slaphaed says:

I’d say this:

and this

THat’s pretty exciting right?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Also Alpine Ridge controller ( for those MOBOs that support it ) that brings Thunderbolt 3 to the table with USB type C connection, which might finally help adoption in a couple years time.

• Xzi says:

If my existing setup didn’t already have support for all of that I guess it would maybe be kinda exciting? A little? To somebody?

7. Stellar Duck says:

Ha! Almost got me! But I just put together a new PC so now I shan’t be looking at CPU stuff for like 7 years I’m sure. If my usual buying pattern holds.

It was literal hell figuring out what to buy this time so I can wait half a decade or more before doing that again.

Andy_Panthro says:

What’s the point of including USB2 and USB3 ports? Other than the Type-C, the USB3 should be able to accept any USB2/1.1 devices so it seems a little pointless, unless there’s a good reason I’m not aware of.

• Person of Interest says:

I’ve heard of folks unable to use devices during a Windows 7 install if they were plugged into a USB3 port rather than USB2 port. Something about legacy driver support, perhaps?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

It’s because USB3 used to be non native for the chipset, as in handled by external controllers that wouldn’t run properly without drivers, something that you couldn’t fix during Windows installation.

I only have USB3 ports in my motherboard and i have to disable the controller via bios if i want to install Windows, basically turning all my ports into USB2.

The limitation is different this time around, you have several extra PCI-E 3.0 lanes for the chipset that board manufacturerers can use how they want, for example for thunderbolt or some M.2 slots, or even USB3, so i’d wager they did some extra USB2 ports because they already used too much stuff for other things but they didn’t want to have too few ports.

This is what really is exciting about SkyLake, the PCH uses PCI-E 3.0 for the first time, it used to be only for the CPU lanes before and any M.2 slot was limited in bandwidth unless some boards devised some exotic workaround. This time a proper M.2 drive can really sing.

9. caff says:

My i5-2500k still pwns.

• Zyrusticae says:

Yup.

Craziest thing is that those CPUs are going on 4 years old now. Ridiculous. Moore’s law is truly dead.

• Sakkura says:

Not really to do with Moore’s law. The smaller process node means the cores are quite a bit smaller. A Sandy Bridge quad core with a 12-EU GPU takes up 216 mm square. A Skylake quad core with a 24-EU GPU takes up 122 mm square.

• Unclepauly says:

Very few games on the market would show any difference between your cpu and this brand new one. On top of that the difference would be minimal.

10. The_invalid says:

I’ve tl;dred the tl;dr for you all.

You’re very welcome. Expecting my promotion to RPS writer within the hour.

• Cinek says:

More like: “No, unless you use fast PCIE SSD and USB 3 devices”

DelrueOfDetroit says:

What did you use to cool it? Did it come with a stock cooler?

“Skylake’s memory controller is actually compatible with DDR3L”

Does this mean the DDR4 mobos can also use DDR3L or that there are mobos specifically built to use it? (I do recall seeing a lower end gaming mobo that said it was DDR3)

• Zyrusticae says:

Answered in the next line:
      “But we’ll have to wait a while for compatible boards.”

Need some caffeine in your system, mayhaps?

• beforan says:

The two currently available chips do not come with a stock cooler; you have to get something yourself.

• SuicideKing says:

From what I’ve read, initially only motherboards with DDR4 support will launch, but board manufacturers are working on DDR3L/DDR4 boards and DDR3L boards as well, which should launch in the coming months.

12. Person of Interest says:

Only Gigabyte’s upscale motherboards appear to have Thunderbolt support via Intel’s Alpine Ridge controller. Given that Skylake’s biggest selling point* is its increased bandwidth to support newfangled interfaces for the High-speed Peripherals Of The Future, Thunderbolt seems like an important feature to have, yes? Anandtech says Asus and MSI have confirmed they will eventually have boards with Alpine Ridge, but they aren’t ready yet.

But really, all the boards look stale:
    – SATA Express wastes space on every board
    – If a board even has two M.2 slots, one is crippled with low bandwidth and/or no NVMe support
    – Zillions of USB Type A connectors and only one Type C, when all our new devices will start using the better Type C
    – No support for front USB 3.1-C ports, which are bound to appear soon on cases

* Also its lower power consumption. Tom’s Hardware saw nice efficiency gains in their 6600K, although as TacticalNuclearPenguin mentioned, the default voltages on some chips are strangely high and destroy all the energy benefit of the smaller 14nm process.

13. steves says:

“Is Intel’s Skylake Finally A New CPU To Get Excited About”

link to en.wikipedia.org

Since Intel don’t ever sell older chips cheaper, it’s probably worth upgrading to Skylake if you’re long overdue an full system upgrade, if only for having the latest & greatest motherboard features.

Old Intel CPUs are their only competition in the ‘enthusiast’ gamer space right now, but they probably just don’t care.

“My i5-2500k still pwns”

Exactly. And there’s nothing special about yours;) Assuming you overclocked the fuck out of it like you ought to. That thing really was a good buy.

14. NZLion says:

Kinda disappointing. I was hoping that a new generation of CPUs would show enough of a performance increase that I’d start to feel a reason to upgrade, but at this point it’s looking like the only thing that’s going to push me forward is the need for USB type C ports.
    It’s still amazing to me that the only parts of my system that have really needed an upgrade since 2009 are my video card and storage (for capacity, I went SSD at that time and it’s still the best money I ever spent)

• SuicideKing says:

Frankly if your CPU is older than Sandy Bridge then Skylake is a considerable improvement. 5-20% improvements per generation add up to a lot. :)

15. Stirbelwurm says:

So, I’ve thought about upgrading, before reinstalling my system because of Win10.

I’ve got a i5 3450. From the sound of this article, it doesn’t seem to be too much of an improvement. Do you guys reckon an upgrade would be worth it?

• Sakkura says:

Not really. I’d only go for it if you were moving up to a Core i7 in order to get more multithreaded performance for non-gaming tasks like rendering, transcoding etc.

16. SanguineAngel says:

I don’t think DDR4 is significantly more expensive than DDR3 at the moment is it? I can get 16 gigs of DDR3 for £90 or DDR4 for £100

• SuicideKing says:

No it’s not, a $20 delta at most (except the high end stuff i suppose). By the time Skylake becomes more widely available (say, September), prices should be more similar.

17. amateurviking says:

Is it me or is the U of USB becoming increasingly inaccurate, given the sheer number of form factors and revisions we have now? I thought the whole point was that ‘legacy’ devices wouldn’t really be legacy, because the bus would be backwards compatible. Do USB 2.0 devices not work with 3.1 gen2 for example? (and if they do, why bother including USB 2.0 ports at all?). It all seems very inefficient.

• LionsPhil says:

Given the computing industry lives on planned obsolescence, this was never going to be the case.

They at least kinda succeeded at One Socket To Rule Them All…ish. Even a smattering of USB form factors is “better” than keyboard PS/2 vs mouse PS/2 vs RS-232 vs Parallel Port vs Gameport vs SCSI vs MIDI DIN (although I believe that’s miserable over USB)…

• amateurviking says:

Ah yes, good point. I made the mistake of forgetting what it was like in the 90’s *shudder*

I remember needing a breakout for my soundblaster just so I could plug my joystick in. Gross.

18. SuicideKing says:

Well, both Skylake and Broadwell perform much better than older CPUs if you consider frame time consistency rather than pure frame rates, which is what you should be doing anyway.

link to techreport.com

• Jeremy Laird says:

Not entirely convinced about that. The data is pretty varied and not always in the new chip’s favour. As a for instance (cherry picked to prove my point!), the 6700K is worse regards frame time in Far Cry above 8.3ms than a 3770K.

You will probably experience slightly fewer spikes with a 6770K. But you’ll still get spikes. Especially if you are not using an adaptive sync display.

I think aiming for higher pure frame rates remains the priority. If you can get them high enough, the frame time takes care of itself.

• SuicideKing says:

Ah. See, that’s not always the case. you could get high averages but it could be all over the place. Frame times measure consistency – you could get away with a lower more consistent frame rate rather than higher absolute frames. And remember, after a point, you’re more GPU bound so you’re not going to get much out of the CPU as far as absolute frame rates are concerned, in which case it’s better to look at frame times.

Though yes, if you were to look at [i]minimum[/i] FPS, then that’ll be as good, because anything that doesn’t render lower than 60 fps (or slower than 16.7ms) will be good to go with something like vsync or adaptive vsync.

I’d encourage you to read Scott’s orginial “Inside the second: A new look at game benchmarking” article from 2011, it made quite a few ripples in the world of tech journalism, because no one was looking at frame times back then. This was especially true for multi-GPU configs. Heck, you could probably have a chat with Scott too, about it.

• Jeremy Laird says:

I’ve seen all that stuff. Sorry, but I think it’s not as relevant as all the fuss would contend (in a CPU context), again especially unless you have an adaptive sync monitor. I think GPU-related stutter is the bigger issue than CPU-related frame times, personally.

I maintain that chasing really high frame rates with GPUs is a reliable way to achieve smooth performance.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

A 295×2 has higher averages than a 980ti and yet it plays worse and all over the place even when crossfire works, especially the minimum framerate.

Sure, this i san extreme example that can’t apply to two similar CPUs, i Was merely advocating against discounting more advanced benching techniques that at least tra to show you what really happens, and an average can’t tell you that.

• Jeremy Laird says:

Not only is it an extreme example, as you say, it’s also multi-GPU. I’ve never advocated multi-GPU. It’s just not relevant.

On paper ‘advanced’ benchmarking techniques are seductive. But personally I think taking note of minimum frame rates combined with subject feel is more than sufficient.

And I’ll say thrice and in the context of single-GPU gaming, chasing high frame rates works.

Anyway, I ain’t doing those bleedin’ graphs, so it’s academic. ;)

19. tigershuffle says:

ooh look Intel have invented a new rounder thing than the last round thing they released.
    Just cant think of a name for it….

20. ffordesoon says:

LET THE SKYLAAAAAAKE

HAVE A CLAMBAAAAAAKE

WE WILL UP STA-AKES

AND EAT IT ALL

TOGETHER

…Or something.

21. zarthrag says:

Isn’t Windows 10 supposed to have some new-fangled DX12 that uses your integrated graphics alongside your main GPU? Is there still no word on that?

22. Wedge says:

Meanwhile, my trusty old 2500K continues to not care about all these pointless “new” chips. Don’t get me wrong though, I think it’s great my 4 year old PC still isn’t showing any signs of obsolescence.

23. LarsBR says:

Sticking with my 2600K for another year again then. That was some good shit. I’ll probably upgrade the GPU first, and that’ll be the first time in twenty years, I’ll upgrade the GPU twice on the same board/cpu. What mad times.

24. macek677 says:

“Intel Inside” – giving backdoors since 1997 (same goes for AMD). No thanks I’ll pass on their new tech :s