Have You Played… Mark Of The Ninja?

Have You Played? is an endless stream of game recommendations. One a day, every weekday of the year, perhaps for all time.

Klei Entertainment might be currently wowing us all with Invisible Inc, but let’s not forget how they also delighted with 2012’s Mark Of The Ninja [official site].

What a step forward it was from Shank. In fact, as different as the three games are, it makes a logical midpoint between those thudding beat-em-up titles, and GOTY contender stealth-strategy Inc. Mark Of The Ninja is stealth action, and quite brilliant at it.

I do still wish for non-lethal takedowns, but then I’m nice like that. But it remains a superb stealth game that lets you feel like a real actual ninja (t-shirt tied around your face and everything).

1. Xocrates says:

The DLC actually added a non-lethal playstyle, which I think you can use on the main game.

• InfamousPotato says:

I kinda liked how much of a challenge playing non-lethally was without the DLC. You had to do your best to ghost the whole thing. It was quite different from other stealth games where the difference between lethal and non-lethal is the type of ammunition you use.

2. adamsorkin says:

Great game! Tight platforming, atmospheric and fun. Stealth is engaging rather than burdensome (IMO).

3. geisler says:

Never got the hype of this game, and i love stealth games (eg the original Thiefs), maybe it’s the sidescrolling thing combined with the drawing style. I beat it though, and it was a very nicely priced game for what it was.

• tsubaki says:

Same. It seemed like the kind of game I’d like, as I generally like 2D platformers. Maybe I’m just not that into stealth?

• piedpiper says:

I finished it and never understood hype too. First and foremost – if you want to get all medals you have only one way you can beat level. So game is played more like puzzle with one solution then stealth game. Also storyline and artstyle are dull at best. Not a bad game, but boring a little bit and uninspiring. And I really love both stealth games and 2D platformers.

• Cinek says:

“boring a little bit and uninspiring” – that’s what killed it to me. I played though… 1/3 of the game, or so? Stopped for a day and never could muster myself to get back.

IMHO: Overhyped for what it was.

• brulleks says:

And I thought it was just me. Love most stealth games, but I think only when they’re 3D, as I couldn’t get into this or Stealth Bastard.

• SomeDuder says:

It’s nothing special in terms of graphics (Consistent is the highest praise I suppose) or story, which is just a generic ninja revenge plot as is told in dozens of B-movies. It does play like a charm though, and taking down nameless thugs has never felt so cool, whether you kill them or just incapacitate them

• piedpiper says:

I just never felt truly invested in game. No real incentives to play.

• derbefrier says:

I guess everyone has that game they dont understand what all the hub bub was about. I genuinely enjoyed the shit out of this game though but take a game like the witcher 3 and I cant help but shrug my shoulders and wonder why its so loved. some games even if on paper sound amazing just dont click with you.

4. Bernt01 says:

I once saw a movie were some folks had to shout NINJAA to start a car, cant remember what movie

• Iron says:

As someone who has played 24 hours of this game, I would say this post barely does Mark of the Ninja justice. Then again, I suppose its just a “have you played?”

Seriously though, this game is worth whatever price you happen to see it at next. Beautiful artwork, classic ninja story, fantastic stealth mechanics, plenty of replay value and seriously just go play it already and then go bug Klei for a sequel.

• Elarmarth says:

That would be Taxi 2, a french film from Luc Besson.

• gunny1993 says:

Lol Luc Besson, that sounds like exactly the random crap he’d put in a film.

5. DaceX says:

One of my favorite games of recent years, if not ever.Just so many options to solve a situation, depending on style and preferences. And one of the most fluid stealth-games i´ve played. It just feels right, whether you hang every single guard on the ceiling, or ghosting through a level, without the use of some fancy tech you may have aquired. Just lovely.

6. anHorse says:

It’s the best stealth game ever IMO, every single system works to perfection and the difficulty scales perfectly the more stealthy and non-lethal you try to be.

7. Tacroy says:

Great game, only letdown is that the main character’s name is not in fact Mark.

Phasma Felis says:

I know, right?!? I was also very disappointed.

• LennyLeonardo says:

When I mentioned this before some smartass (possibly Alec Meer) said that he could in fact be called Mark, as you never learn his name. Fiction belongs to its audience or something.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Wait, was my comment removed? I meant to say that Alec Meer is a sexy dynamo. I blame autocorrect.

8. Wowbagger says:

Yet another solidly built game by Klei, it seems whatever genre they go for they nail the important factors to a tee.

9. Solidstate89 says:

Love this game. I’ve played through it like 3 or 4 times. The Stealth is so well done.

10. w0bbl3r says:

Yes, yes I have played mark of the ninja.

And it’s frickin’ awesome. Best stealth game I have played in a very very long time. Probably since splinter cell chaos theory.

Needs a sequel, or at least another game in this same vein from Klei. They are one of the best developers around.
    I don’t even care for all of their games, but I love their dedication to each of them, and especially their dedication to the PC as a gaming platform.
    Don’t starve is one of the best early access title’s ever, especially in terms of how early access was handled. Another early access game that was just as well handled, if not better, was invisible inc., another Klei title.
    Their games are so well thought-out, so well made, so polished, so stylish, and are 100% dependent on the community to say what they like and don’t like.
    I would love to see them do some more stealth games in the same kind of style as this, because I love this game. Far better than the very mediocre shank games they made

11. jonahcutter says:

It is excellent. Tight controls. Excellent cartoon/comic art style. Story is fairly standard, but solid enough to give a decent excuse for sneaking and stabbing. Which is kind of Klei SOP. None of their storylines are anything stunning or elaborate, but they’re developed enough to provide a good framework and excellent atmosphere, so the game doesn’t feel like just pure gameplay mechanics (even as good as the mechanics usually are with them).

2D stealth isn’t for everyone, even stealth fans. But if you are, you can scarcely do better than this game.

12. derbefrier says:

yeah i really enjoyed it.

13. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Enjoyed Mark of the Ninja a great deal. And it’s one of the only more recent games that I tend to recommend to people.

14. alisonburgers says:

Yes I have played it and it is awesome. Extra fun playing the hard mode with the no-weapon outfit.

• thedosbox says:

Yes, being able to mix up the outfits (effectively different load outs) made for some great variety of play.

This is one of the few games where I wish there was a sequel, though it might not have the same magic now that the lead designer has left Klei.

15. SuicideKing says:

Yup, good game this. Played a lot, especially loved the different play styles.

16. JustAchaP says:

My favourite stealth game next to Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and MGS 3

17. camper says:

The only single player game I’ve finished in the last 4 or 5 years. Achievements too!
    Hint: controller is a must have and make sure to try New Game Plus.