The Witcher 3 Mod Tools Released

Think of the buttons, dials and knobs you'll be able to fiddle with on this! Strewth.

No massively intricate and complicated fantasy RPG is complete without spending four hours selecting the mods you want to layer on top of it first. CD Projekt Red know this and have just released The Witcher 3 [official site] mod tools in partnership with Nexus Mods. This means not only can you grab the tools from Nexus, but their mod manager – which has been a mainstay of Bethesda modding for years – now supports The Witcher 3 as well.

If all you want to do is get ready for the inevitable slew of quality content from the community and test out some early attempts, all you need is the Witcher 3 mod manager and then you’re good to go looking for mods to install. Mods created before now using unofficial tools won’t work with NMM though so you’ll need to install them manually. Want to play around with something immediately? The four example mods, designed to teach creators the various things they can do in the modkit, have been released separately. One turns Roach (and all the other horses in the world) into a fabulous unicorn.

Those looking to get started changing things will want the modkit itself and should probably take a glance at the official forums. Not only will it serve as the discussion hub for customising The Witcher 3, but all the documentation and example mods have been released there as well. The Quick Guide To Witcher 3 Modding is a must read before you kick off and the sample mods walkthrough will take you through all your options.

I’m very much looking forward to what people manage to create. The Witcher 3 is fast developing into a platform that will provide multiple hundreds of hours of entertainment, between this, the various free updates, new game+ mode and the upcoming season pass DLCs.

Finished the game and, unafraid of spoilers, want to have a think about the plot? Rich Cobbett went over it for us last month.

1. James says:

Withcer 3 is getting modding tools? The fantasy RPG genre is hereby perfected.

2. MrFinnishDude says:

that pic, now there will definitely a mod that allows you to use that attire the entire game, bathtub and all.

3. kud13 says:

So, how long until we get the experience overhaul mod to resolve the over-levelling problem beyond just “remove the rule that underlevel quests give no XP”, which led t even MORE insane over-levelling?

• Lanessar says:

Since that mod has existed for two months, I’d say fairly immediately.

• kud13 says:

I may have been les than clear, and I confess I haven’t spent much time looking into this, but:

1) what I meant was ” a mod to PREVENT over-levelling”- i.e, give LESS XP, while remaining balanced.

2) only exp mods I am able to see after a cursory search are those that allow full XP for “grey” quests (those 6 or more levels below Geralt’s current level), as well as mods providing extra XP. I saw one mod that reduces all XP gains by 20%, which is closes to what I”m looking for, but I’m unsure if simply applying an overall decimal multiplier is enough to make a “balanced” overhaul.

3) what I am really looking f is some person with much more time on their hands than me to look at all the XP rewards for various “scavenger” content (not tied to a level req, such as “abandoned settlements”), as well as main quest + , quest exp rewards, and redo the system to provide for a more “balanced” play. In my own game, I started exploring Velen instead of doing the main quest, and, especially I the denser populated western part, I ended up over-levelling due to multiple band camps and the abovementioned “abandoned settlements” conferring crazy amounts of XP. Now i’m doing Novigrad stuff, being lvl 18 while t , quest for the area is recommended lvl 12. By game’s standards I ought to b in Skellige by now, while i’m still chasing down leads in th big city.

Hence my desire for a “comprehensive” exp overhaul mod, not just a “multiplier” or “allow XP for grey quests”- i’m totally fine with doing grey quests for the writing alone, btw.

• Lanessar says:

I’m not sure where you were looking, but on nexus, but one of the XP mods is titled “Better Experience Curve”, and offers very difficult, difficult, easy or very easy XP gain. I found that this morning after about 15 minutes of browsing.

link to nexusmods.com?

Granted, without access to the scripts, I’m sure this mod has limitations. With access to the scripts, someone will do a bang-up job on it, I’m sure.

4. teppic says:

That’s a big deal for Nexus.

I wonder how it’ll do. Skyrim modding is still hugely popular right now, but Fallout 4 is out soon, and that’s going to be huge for modding.

• Samjac0 says:

Except they won’t release modding capability until a year after release. The modding community will probably be handicapped in FO4 until then.

• Cinek says:

Witcher 2 got similar late release of modding tools and they never really caught attention.

• Uhuru N'Uru says:

Bethesda know better than that, they are releasing the Fallout Mod tools, within a couple of months, in early 2016, just like they did for Skyrim.
        Consoles will not get them for at least a year, until stable mods are hand picked for them.

CD Projekt Red were not planning to start making any Mod tools until, both expansions were made, in about a year. Despite many experienced modders, telling them it was too long.
        Fallout 4’s Announcement has made CDPR rethink and rush this out, it’s more Alpha than Beta and not the finished polished product, originally planned.

Having said that, it’s a huge step up from no tools until Next summer and will give the Witcher 3 Modding community a huge boost. So great News and a good start, but needs more work to become a first class Mod Kit.

5. int says:

Bathtub on wheels instead of horse.

6. brulleks says:

“…four hours selecting the mods you want to layer on top of it first.”

…and another fifty trying to get them to work peacefully together.

7. Freud says:

Triss alternate costume
    Yennifer alternate costume

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Hopefully I won’t have to ask for administrator privilege for every mod like I do the DLC.

9. Scumbag says:

Now even you can give dwarf beards boobs.
    I would say nude or sex mods, but its the Witcher.