Conflicks Revolutionary Space Battles Is An RTS About Chickens

Olympus Mons, Mars. The year is 1789. It’s a time of musketeers and galactic hens.

Conflicks: Revolutionary Space Battles, which is hitting steam in just a week, is the story of strategy and physics and revolts and chickens. It takes place in a futuristic alternate history of the European Renaissance – a time period that combines the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries with absurdist sci-fi and the blending power of a Cuisinart. There’s more information and a trailer below.

“A month before his death, Leonardo Da Vinci managed to decrypt ancient Alchemists’ secrets and succeeded to transmute egg yolk into Metamatter, a marvelous substance allowing to increase intellectual capacities and influence the space-time continuum,” so says developer Artifice Studios. “The course of History would be changed forever.”

So here’s the idea: You pledge your allegiance to one of four possible factions and harvest metamatter in the name of your emperor. Alternatively, you go the Guevara route, joining the Chk’Rathii to lead the revolution against the poultry-hoarding galactic despots. You have access to dozens of ships, each of which has its own power-set that can be upgraded by accumulating Steam Achievements. You have a competitive multiplayer mode that puts your head-to-head against fellow galactic admirals. You have a chicken-heavy single-player narrative. Conflicks inhales the po-faced strategy of space warfare and exhales an intricate storyline about poultry-centric politics.

You may recognise Artifice Studio from its work on Sang-Froid – Tales of Werewolves, which released to Steam a few years back. This is the studio’s second ever release, scheduled to hit on August 20th, but do clock yer eyes on this beauty of a trailer:

1. Arathain says:

May I commend them for the astonishing restraint in scripting that trailer. There weren’t actually any egg puns that I noted. A remarkable feat.

• MrFinnishDude says:

Truly, I didn’t notice any chicken or fowl based puns at all! Their restraint is remarkable.

2. LTK says:

I was not expecting to see another chicken-themed space combat game so soon after Humans Must Answer.

I was certainly not expecting a new chicken-themed space combat game to have a Renaissance setting.

And even if in my wildest imagination I could conjure up the thought of such a game releasing this month, the absolute last thing on my mind would be that said space combat would bear similarity to billiards.

So bravo, my mind is blown.

• squirrelrampage says:

Kind madam or sir,

You are mistaken. This is not set in the Renaissance, but in the Age of Enlightment. What miraculous age could the great chicken revolution of 1789 embody than this one?

• KDR_11k says:

Space billiards has been in a board game before (can’t remember the name), supposedly it was great.

3. SgtStens says:

I am sitting eagerly with my popcorn awaiting the pun thread.

• MrFinnishDude says:

Well seems like your search for a pun thread is…

Sorry, nothing, no puns for anyone today.

• Geebs says:

We’ve had to institute a capon poultry puns in RPS comments, there were getting to be far too many.

• zxcasdqwecat says:

If that’s your bocket….
      NVM.

4. TehK says:

I don’t know what this is, but after watching the video, I want it!

5. Chuckaluphagus says:

Please, RPS, give this one a Wot I Think. Barring a demo, I have no way of telling whether this will be completely brilliant or a complete mess – it’s just too wonderfully weird.

Fingers crossed.

6. Heliocentric says:

Sang-Froid took the tower defence genre and turned it into something thoughtful and harrowing, Artifice have my complete attention.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Sang Froid was a surprisingly solid game hamstrung by crappy marketing and somewhat clunky controls. I grew up in Quebec, so I bought it for the cultural aspects alone, but I agree that anyone interested in the tower defense genre should check it out.

7. SanguineAngel says:

The header image reminds me most strongly of Cloister the Stupid and associated iconography from Red Dwarf. Of this I can only nod approvingly

8. geldonyetich says:

Shut up and take my money, you poultry-based dynamos!

9. banski83 says:

Looks very familiar to Space Pirates And Zombies, to me. Not sure if it’s a good or a bad thing, that similarity.

10. alisonburgers says:

This looks so absurd I simply must buy it

11. Myrdinn says:

Not to count my eggs before they hatch, but I must eggknowledge this title has piqued my interest, since it is apparent the developers have worked round the cluck for this to be a fine piece of hentertainment.

12. LennyLeonardo says:

Love the look of this game; it raaaaaaawwwks.

13. Freud says:

If pot wasn’t part of this brainstorming process, I’d be surprised.

14. Azhrarn says:

I assume this was originally a tablet based game?
    The flick mechanic seems far more suitable to a touch interface than a mouse and keyboard one…

It looks interesting though, in a hilariously silly kind of way. :)

15. JFS says:

Oh my, I just now actually noticed the coat of arms on the shield. What is this game.

teije says:

What a game indeed. I suspect late night acid trips spent watching Monty Python inspired this.

17. geldonyetich says:

Looking at some gameplay footage, this isn’t an RTS like you think it might be. It actually plays more like pogs, you “flick” your ships around and they fight where they come to rest. There seems to be a yoke-based energy mechanism that determines how many ships you can build and how often you flick what. It’s a pretty novel take overall.

18. Dances to Podcasts says:

It’s a fantastic trailer, but the gameplay reminded me of Angry Birds.

19. Sian says:

This trailer is RPS bait. :p

20. FireStorm1010 says:

Artifice has got my money, just for the fun i had with their previous game Sang Froid. I didnt expect much when i was buying it, and it turned out to be a great little game, i had great fun.

21. FireStorm1010 says:

Dont know if you guys have seen the first trailer, its imho even funnier :