Resident Evil 2 Remake Is In The Works At Capcom

Remember when I was like, “isn’t it weird that a bunch of dudes on the Internet are having to remake Resident Evil 2 themselves instead of Capcom?”

The question was posed, the universe agreed, and so the cogwheels turned: Capcom’s gonna make a nice lil’ Resident Evil 2 remake for y’all to enjoy. Thanks, VideoGamer.com.

The remake is being produced by Yoshiaki Hirabayashi, the same producer behind last year’s Resident Evil HD remake.

“We’re pleased to confirm that Resident Evil 2 has been approved for development,” said one Capcom representative.

“As the title is only just starting its development cycle we unfortunately don’t have any additional information or assets to share at this time. However, for now we want our fans to know that we appreciate all the feedback and support we’ve received on this title. We’re looking forward to delivering this highly anticipated Resident Evil experience that fans have been waiting for.”

It’s unclear what this will mean for the fan remake which has been in the works for years now. The work of a little not-for-profit Italian team called InvaderGames, Resident Evil 2 Reborn has been bubbling away for two years, initially being developed using the Unity engine before moving on to Unreal Engine 4. It features totally revamped 3D models, particle effects, better lighting, textures and animation. You can have a look at ‘er below:

1. Sin Vega says:

I think this is a really bad idea. Coincidentally, I was just thinking of writing about Resi 2 these last few days (man, that’d be the third time I’ve done it), after realising just how crucial its limitations were in making it such a good game. It needs a re-release for modern systems, but a full on remake threatens to undo so much of what made it work.

• Sin Vega says:

Oh, and much as I respect the skill of the people involved in making that remake, turning Resi 2 into a third person shooter is a terrible idea that would definitely undermine it completely. Aside from being a fundamentally different kind of game, there’s little chance it’d be better than Resi 4, and if you really want more of that, there are already two sequels treading the same ground.

• FuktLogik says:

That’s just, like, your opinion, man.

I welcome a over the shoulder remake with open arms.

• Kitsunin says:

I think if they could just manage an equivalent treatment as the remake of 1, we’d be left with a fantastic game. I suspect Capcom won’t think that’s the most profitable choice, however the apparent success of the Remake Remaster may cause them to prove me wrong.

I can’t think of any other options which won’t be disappointing — though I suppose a purely graphical upgrade would be appreciable if not exciting.

• PancakeWizard says:

Seemed to work just great for the Resi 1 remaster. I don’t really see a reason to worry.

• Jalan says:

Consider that the HD of the remake did have going for it that it was already a remake before the HD version came along (revamped control scheme, etc). Resident Evil 2 didn’t get such a luxury.

Not to say that I’m less enthused about this news though – it’s definitely something I’m glad to read is going to finally happen (even if I have to wonder about how the finished product turns out).

• PancakeWizard says:

To clarify, I’m not refering to the HD remake of the remake, but of the original remake (Gamecube). I’m expecting something similar here.

• Sin Vega says:

Not played that remake, but I can believe it. The difference, though, is that the first Resident Evil was pretty ropey, and the mood wasn’t handled half as well as in the second one.

2. piedpiper says:

I just hope it will be same Resi 2 with graphics not unlike Resi HD Reamster.

• Pink Gregory says:

I think that’s what we’re all hoping; and seeing as RE Zero is getting the same treatment (though not as drastic, I assume it runs on a similar or the same engine to REmake) it feels believable.

I can believe that the same sheer attention to detail may not occur, though.

• Jalan says:

“I assume it runs on a similar or the same engine to REmake”

You assume correctly. I think it’s part of the reason why they were quick to release both HD versions instead of just announcing that they’d be working on giving 0 the HD treatment.

• Kitsunin says:

I dunno. To me, it’d be disappointing to have all that work done just to create an identical experience. Resi 1 was pretty janky, 2 still plays great.

A RE2make would have me buzzing with excitement, though.

• Pink Gregory says:

Well the best possible situation would be that it’s more than just graphical improvements. If they did enough with REmake HD (I haven’t played the original, but have played the Gamecube REmake, so I can’t compare the feel of the controls) to include the addition of an additional optional control scheme, then you might be hopeful.

• rcguitarist says:

The point is so that those of us who remember playing the original when it came out of Playstation 1 can relive that amazing game. I had to sell my PS1 games because with today’s modern HDTV’s, you can’t properly play a game at 240p. The lowest tv’s nowadays can do is 480i.

• Sin Vega says:

There was a PC release! It was better (although the PS controls were a better fit for obvious reasons) as it included extra game modes and difficulty settings. Also there were headshots for instant kills on regular zombies, although it seemed to be pretty random whether they happened or not.

3. Delete Me says:

Hah! Who would’ve seen that one coming, eh?

4. Press X to Gary Busey says:

Not that I’m saying no to RE2 but Capcom – please do something with the Outbreak spinoffs! They were just misunderstood online games a generation too early. :'(

• Reverend Speed says:

Damn straight. And so pretty – a beautiful Resi/Silent Hill 1 hybrid with PS2 level graphics.

–Rev

5. Press X to Gary Busey says:

Since there hasn’t been an update about it on RPS;
    The Resident Evil 2 Reborn fan remake was shut down today and the studio behind it got “invited by Capcom to discuss further ideas”.

link to facebook.com

6. BattlePsyche says:

It’s about time! I’d been wondering since, like, back when RE0 and the RE1 Remake was a thing for Gamecube when 2 and 3 were going to be given the “new, shiny” treatment. Can’t say the wait was too long (it very much is) but I’m glad it’s finally under development.

7. konondrum says:

I can’t wait, Resident Evil 2 was always my favorite of the original series. I played through it so many times, but I drove myself batty trying to unlock the secret Tofu character.

8. clorex says:

I don’t think the creator of the RE2 Unreal Development Kit (which is the free version of UE3’s SDK) remake project, Rod Lima, is affiliated with InvaderGames’s RE2 Reborn, which was developed with UE4.