Witchier: The Witcher 3’s New Game Plus Mode Now Out

More murder.

The Witcher games are set in an ending era, the world of magic and wonder dying out as humans trash everything. Killing its most exotic monsters – who usually only cause trouble when humans move into their habitat – can be tragic. And what’s the use of Geralt and his witcher pals once the last monster is slain? Well, he can reset the world and start all over again keeping his shiny trinkets.

The promised New Game+ mode for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [official site] has arrived in its sixteenth and final free bit of ‘DLC’.

The New Game+ mode lets you carry a character over into a new game after finishing it, keeping your XP (and bumping you up to level 30 if you’re below it), most items, money, and alchemy recipes. You can start at a different difficulty level, if you fancy, and get a free Clearing Potion so you can clear your skills and try a new build.

However, sadly, your collection of Gwent cards will not carry over; you’ll need to start collecting again from scratch. Writing this story now, I realise the reason I stopped playing The Witcher 3 is I got stuck on a Gwent opponent and refused to continue until I could beat them, and then frustration pushed the game out my mind. I should go back and finish that. It is a good game, isn’t it? 74 hours in, I was still having a ball until my silly self-set stumbling block.

The New Game+ DLC is here on Steam, while following these instructions will get you it on GOG.

In another bit of Witcher 3 news, CD Projekt RED have confirmed that the mod toolkit released on Friday are all they plan to offer. It falls short of tools from earlier Witcher games, letting folks edit existing models and scripts but not create, say, new quests.

1. Rumpelstilskin says:

Once you’ve won the tournament (and you’d need a very good deck for that), there’s not much to do Gwent-wise. Since apparently they didn’t add any new cards, resetting them was the easiest way to add at least some replayability.

2. Awesomeclaw says:

I think my experience with Witcher 3 has been pretty similar to that of the original – it does some interesting stuff and tells some interesting stories, but I come across something broken or badly designed often enough to convince me that it is actually a bad game.

• gunny1993 says:

I’ll take that over a good game that does nothing interesting and tells no interesting stories any day of the week.

• jerf says:

Could you give an example of a fairly recent good RPG then? If Witcher 3 is a bad game, I must be missing some truly exceptional games (of course if you don’t think that all RPGs of past 10 years are bad, then don’t mind my question).

• jayfear says:

I’m sure he’s referring to some inane ASCII title or whatever lukewarm rehash of Baldur’s Gate is doing the rounds at the moment.

3. geldonyetich says:

I suppose New Game+ mode is closer to the storyline since, with two games behind him, Gerald must have been at least level 30 by now.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Also, hopefully it allows for a far more compressed level range between content.

• Zenicetus says:

Yep, it’s a problem for RPG sequels using the main character and a traditional leveling system. The first few levels were painful to watch, with Geralt getting his ass kicked by a few Drowners, even at his age and experience over the years. At least that feeling didn’t last long. For such a long game, I thought CDPR did a fairly good job of gradually ramping up the opponents you face while leveling up.

I don’t think I’ll try the plus mode if I ever replay the game. It would match the books and his age/experience better, but I can’t see it being much fun if Geralt is too easily wading through all the early stuff.

Also, one of the carrots that kept me playing was working my way up through level-locked armor sets to the end game gear. I did that with Cat and Wolf sets last time, might try Bear on a playthrough. I wouldn’t want to lose that incentive to level up.

4. Freud says:

At first I was excited about this, but the more I think of it I’m not sure I want to spend 100 hours playing just for alternate outcomes of some quests. I did finish pretty much every quest the first time through.

• gabrielonuris says:

154 hours here, and I know what you mean; I’d rather replay a linear, 10 hours long game than a full 100 hours RPG, that’s the why I HATED that The Witcher 2 had two different chapters 2. I don’t like to be kind of forced to replay a game, because it has two different paths, I like to replay a game because it was fun since the beginning (looking at you too Dishonored).

After finishing The Witcher 3 and loving it the way I played, I bought the novels and while I read them, I see so much references used in the three games that I’m getting a wild urge to replay all three of them again.

• noodlecake says:

Luckily with The Witcher 2 every time I saved it I saved it to a new slot so when I realised there was a whole chunk of game I hadn’t played I could get back to that part pretty easily.

5. XhomeB says:

Which witch?

6. suibhne says:

“It falls short of tools from earlier Witcher games, letting folks edit existing models and scripts but not create, say, new quests.”

While that’s true, it’s only part of the story. REDKit (the toolset you reference) wasn’t provided till about 2 years after TW2’s launch, so mod support for TW3 is faring just fine relative to CDPR’s track record. I’m not saying it’s ideal, but folks up in arms about not getting REDKit should probably realize that 1) CDPR wants to earn some revenue on its own expansions before letting everyone else make some, and 2) there’s about another 18 months for TW3’s mod support to match TW2’s.

7. jj2112 says:

So it’s possible to finish the game on Easy and then play NG+? I think I’ll rush through the story and then play on NG+ for a bigger challenge.

8. Blad the impaler says:

Honest question for anyone who’s newmode-ing, I played it twice and uninstalled (HD space is precious). Are enemy levels upped to match the “New-Game-Plus Geralt?”

I don’t think I could go through it again without some incentive like that.

• Troubletcat says:

Yes. The enemies you fight right at the start of the game are in the low 30’s level-wise.