Seven: A Thief-Inspired RPG From Former Witcher Folks

This is concept art, obvs.

A parkouring post-apocalyptic open-world isometric RPG inspired by Thief and made in collaboration with a team including former Witching folks from CD Projekt RED is a confusing pitch (open-world RPG inspired by Thief?), but one with interesting elements. That’s the broad idea of Seven [official site], which developers IMGN.PRO (them lot behind iffy Sean Bean horror Kholat) announced this morning.

Seven is set several centuries after an apocalyptic event, where survivors are slowly rebuilding and lust after forbidden ancient technology. Here’s the official description:

“Seven is a Thief-inspired, 3D isometric RPG in which players will get a chance to freely explore the sandbox world of Vetrall Empire. Set in a ‘beyond post-apocalyptic’ environment the title will redefine the isometric RPG genre. The classic gameplay is totally reinvented by the protagonist’s ability of free-traversing obstacles on any height, both horizontally and vertically, thanks to his parkour skills. The story created by the minds behind The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, will be far from black and white. Lots of branching choices and difficult moral decisions resulting in surprising plot twists, are to be expected from this upcoming PC RPG fueled by Unreal Engine 4.”

IMGN are probably overplaying the Witcher angle. New studio Fool’s Theory, who are helping IMGN on the game, was indeed founded by a few folks from CD Projekt RED, but “the minds behind The Witcher 3” is stretching it. The only former Witcherer named (and therefore probably the most important) is Fool’s Theory founder Jakub Rokosz; he was a senior quest designer on The Witcher 3, but TW3 has sixteen credited quest designers so it wasn’t all on him. The project is funded and led by IMGN.

No word yet on when Seven will come out, though as the game only has concept art to show now, it’ll probably be a while.

Also concept art.

1. Stardog says:

Sounds good.

2. 12inchPlasticToy says:

“At the moment they don’t have much more than some words and concept art to show, and I can’t imagine what the game will actually be like, but it might pique your interest.”

I definitely want to know what’s in the box.

3. Rao Dao Zao says:

I would have taken Thief-inspired to be first-person and stealth rather than parkour… I mean, Thief doesn’t have parkour so much as just clambering over things and occasionally jumping off roofs? Odd namecheck indeed based on the actual description of their game.

• jonahcutter says:

Yeah, there wasn’t parkour gameplay as we know it now. Hopefully by Thief-inspired they mean large, complex areas to explore and sneak through in different ways.

And hopefully they are speaking of any/all of the first three games, not Thi4f.

Naseer says:

Maybe more cat burglar?

5. Infinitron says:

An isometric RPG with climbing around and stuff? Sounds Ultima VIII-ish.

6. Stevostin says:

“A parkouring”
    Good

“post-apocalyptic”
    ok

“open-world”
    great

“isometric”
    Oh so this a Q*bert after all. I am out.

• dethtoll says:

Unfortunately I have to agree. Not had good luck with most isometric RPGs, particularly those of old.

gritz says:

Oh man, if this game has some thief’s guild management sim aspects, I am so in.

Ever since Baldur’s Gate II and Europa 1400: The Guild, I’ve wanted a high quality game about being a middle-ages kingpin managing a gang of blackguards and footpads.

8. pistolhamster says:

The world have had too few proper Thief’s the last decade. It has definitely lacked proper Ultima’s!

9. dan2142 says:

Seven Theme Song here check it out :link to youtube.com

10. XhomeB says:

That sounds very, VERY interesting, but the only Thief inspiration I seem to be seeing here is that it’s… a stealth game in some ways and the story will be well written?

11. kud13 says:

Hmm. I’m yet to play the third Thief game, but in terms of “influences” what comes to mind is:
    -stealth (obviously)
    -society using machines, but where machines aren’t really all that common-place (mostly reserved for those who can afford them)
    -distinct, sometimes secret groups that hold “secret knowledge” (Pagans and Hammerites/Mechanists)
    -overall dark and dystopia-lite tone to the world.

It’ll be interesting to see how well stealth will work in isometric. Will is be precise gridline isometric, ala original X-Com, where sneaking and peeking around corners was crucial), or will it be something more “free-flow”? Along the same lines, will it be turn-based or real-time?

Anyhow, this may have potential. We obviously need more details.

12. PancakeWizard says:

We are well overdue a Midnight Rogue game with full Port Blacksand exploration…just sayin’

13. Darth Gangrel says:

After finishing Risen 1 recently, I’m quite looking forward to playing another RPG that lets me climb up and around obstacles. Many games, especially RPG’s don’t allow anything other than walking or running along the corridors/open areas of the game world.

Just being able to climb up somewhere or jumping off a set of stairs instead of walking down the steps like normal people is great fun to me. Perhaps it’s also because I train parkour IRL, but I really like having options when I need to get from A to B.

14. Tuco says:

Well, the premise is at very least interesting.
    I’m definitely interested.

P.S. Fuck whoever thinks that “isometric” is a design flaw.

15. racccoon says:

Looks nice.:)

16. bill says:

Bugger! This was my plan for my kickstarter game that’s going to make me rich.

They must have heard of it, and my total lack of skills and action, and sneaked into my room at night to steal the plans.