Bouncing Bloodlasers In Binding Of Isaac Expansion

Part of the torment of tracking the upcoming ‘Afterbirth’ expansion for The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth [official site] is seeing its changes and additions and crying “I DIED SO MANY TIMES BECAUSE I NEEDED THAT.” I get bitter about Isaac losses. Case in point: the shot-bouncifying Rubber Cement will combo with beam weapons like Brimstone and Technology to reflect shots everywhere, and I can think of at least three times it might have saved me after I foolishly picked up cruddy Technology.

Edmund McMillen’s latest dev blog post shows off this and a few other combos coming in Afterbirth, along with a new boss. (Warning: GIFs ahoy (WebMs, really, unless your browser doesn’t like ’em).)

Look, doesn’t this almost make you want to use Tech and Tech 2?

Rubber Cement with Brimstone and Tammy’s Head is as ridiculous as you’d expect, filling a room with bloodlasers:

Conversely, I can think of many times when the shot-doubling 20/20 combined with the bomb-shooting Dr. Fetus would’ve got me killed. Or killed even faster, I suppose.

Those aren’t the only new combos being added, but it won’t have everything you might want. Combos like this were missing in the original Rebirth, McMillen explained a while back, because “almost all the cool item stacking in Rebirth has to be hard coded, this isn’t easy because there are so damn many possible item combos it’s just not realistic to have a functional combo for every item in the game.”

And here’s a peek at a new boss, Little Horn, who ducks down into the ground and tosses up troll bombs. McMillen says he “has more attacks than normal bosses.”

McMillen teases he’ll announce a release date for Afterbirth with a trailer next week. I do hope it’s soon; I’m looking forward to Afterbirth more than… anything this side of Cyberpunk 2077, maybe. I imagine daily challenges will become part of my daily routine. It’ll also bring new alternate floors, a new character, new items, a mysterious new mode, and plenty more.

Hodge says:

That Tammy gif is one of the the most beautiful things I’ve seen.

• bedsidetrash says:

Its awesome. But think about the effort it took to code the combo vs. how rarely anyone will get it. Maybe one in thirty runs. And when you get it, you automatically win the run, so…

2. IronTetsubo says:

Minor note, but the 20/20 + dr. fetus gif also is showing a combo with sad bombs (and possibly the common cold, given the green/poison tears. Or bob’s curse, depending on how the combo plays out). :) Just imagine that (dr. fetus + sad bombs) with brimstone, and you’ll really get excited.

I also could not be more excited about the expansion, and want it yesterday. I applaud Edmund & co. for doing more combos, as the random item pool makes it absolutely core to the game’s enjoyment to have interesting/useful combos.

• Alice O'Connor says:

Ah! I hadn’t realised it didn’t already go with Sad Bombs. I think the green is Mysterious Liquid.

• IronTetsubo says:

Excellent catch, you’re right – it does look like a combo of 20/20, dr. fetus, sad bombs, and mysterious liquid. The mysterious liquid is particularly nice, as it looks like it combos both off of the bombs themselves, and also the tears from the sad bombs. Extra carnage! Sigh. Why can’t I be playing this now?!

• blur says:

It’s possible too that it’s Scorpio, no?

Thanks for drawing my attention back to this, Alice. Every once in a while I check in on that blog, and get unreasonably excited, then disappointed when I have no clue how long until it’s out. I eagerly await your posting the trailer next week!

• IronTetsubo says:

It’s possible that it’s also scorpio, but Alice is right, it’s definitely mysterious liquid. I didn’t catch it at first, but there’s definitely green puddles showing up under the bomb, and the tears as well. You can see it best when a tear going left from the first bombs hits one of the 2nd bomb pair. It’s tough to tell if scorpio (or one of the other poison effects) is also in play because none of the enemies last long enough. :)

• Bracer says:

is that also shielded tears cause he does end up blocking one of his own shots with a bomb

3. meepmeep says:

400 hours, just one more boss to kill with The Lost before Real Platinum God. I must do this before Afterbirth arrives.

God I love and hate this game in equal measure – it’s so (near)perfectly designed and addictive.

• IronTetsubo says:

bravo! I’ve basically got unlocking the lost + all the lost achievements left, and I’ve been debating holding off at this point since the lost should be much easier when afterbirth comes out.

• cbayley says:

Ugh, I can’t get to the boss rush with the Lost. But I did both the other bosses.

I freaking love this game. I already have twice the hours in it compared to the original, and I had triple digit hours in the original already.

4. Xzi says:

I’ve been holding off on getting Rebirth, mostly because I already paid what I thought was a fair sum for BoI and then the Basement Collection, but these additions make me want it. Maybe it’ll get a decent discount in the fall sale.

5. metric day says:

At this point Nintendo should just hire him to do a procedural pocket Zelda. With less shit.

6. Knightwoolf says:

The link to the “Official Site” sends you to the RPS tag.

Also I am so excited for this, I have sunk way too much time into both the original and Rebirth.

7. bandertroll says:

I cannot wait! Check updates every week few months and finally Edmund release it in this fall. Also, I hope this will be DLC for BoI:R, not a standalone game.