Satellite Reign’s Trailer Re-Signals August 28th Release

I haven’t played Satellite Reign’s [official site] yet. It’s been in Early Access since December last year but I’m excited enough for a spiritual successor to Syndicate that I decided to wait till its rain-slick streets and neon signs were at their moody best. That’s now due to happen in ten days when the game launches on August 28th, and there’s a new launch trailer below.

We already knew the release date and some of the scenes in the trailer above are old, but a few of them are new, and that’s good enough for me when I’m this excited about playing a game. Here’s Alec amping up my excitement from the Early access build late last year: “Experiencing first-hand just how well it’s already brought its concept to life has delighted me. This cyberpunk city is there, it seems huge and busy, and trekking through it is as difficult as I want to make it. It’s not Syndicate, because Syndicate never did anything on this scale: instead, it’s what Syndicate felt like back in DOStimes.” Cor.

Satellite Reign was Kickstarted in 2013, getting just a little more than the $350,000 the team were asking for. The process ever since, through Early Access and now towards release, seems to have gone more smoothly than most crowdfunded projects. If you backed the project then you might want to check over on the game’s official site, on which they make clear how you can claim your copy of the game if you haven’t already, when you’ll receive the remainder of your digital rewards, and when physical items such as boxed copies are likely to ship out.

The same post also details their ongoing localisation efforts, which will see the game translated into French, Italian, German, Spanish, Russian and Czech, but not “until a few weeks after the digital release.”

1. rustybroomhandle says:

No Miles Kilo, no sale!!!

Just kidding – backed this, been playing the heck out of it. Aaaand if I happen to see a citizen named Miles Kilo, I’m emptying a minigun into him.

2. Minglefingler says:

I’m a tedious enough pedant to point out that “excited for” and “excited about” mean two entirely different things. I wouldn’t normally but this pops up on gaming sites all the time for some reason.
    Diatribes aside, I’m really looking forward to this one, I’d resolved to buy no new games until I’d cleared some of my backlog but this is likely to have me once again demonstrate by lack of self control.

• Goodtwist says:

Pliz splain, I’d like to know the difference.

• Minglefingler says:

If you’re excited for something the nyou’re excited on its behalf. So if a friend for example got engaged you’d be excited for them, if that friend was coming to visit you’d be excited about it. For games, if you’re looking forward to playing one then you’re excited about it, if you thought a game may sell well or win an award then you could be excited for that game but this would be rather odd.

• IC says:

I think you’re wrong – the distinction isn’t quite as concrete as you’re making it out to be. You can be ‘excited for’ something just like you can be ‘ready for’ something.

This is just one of those things in a language like English which lacks a dative case. Particles like ‘for’ take on several meanings depending on the context. “Excited for” might be idiomatic but it’s not ungrammatical.

• Minglefingler says:

Excited for is wrong in this context though. In idiomatic English it’s used to mean “on behalf of” and not “by.” To use it otherwise is at best jarring for the reader and at worst causes confusion as to your meaning. I’ve had to mentally adjust how I’ve interpreted sentences because of this and this was in cases where the writer didn’t intend ambiguity.

• dontnormally says:

I am excited with this.

• ansionnach says:

Well said. Sick to the teeth of this. Languages change all the time… but I think it’s sad when this happens because so many just couldn’t be bothered to get basic things right.

• jrodman says:

I’m with IC. I think you’re trying to create a level of regularism in language which just isn’t there.

• SaunteringLion says:

“Excited for” something does not just mean “excited on the behalf of something/someone”. For instance, saying “I’m excited for dinner” does not indicate one is excited on behalf of dinner. It means my excitement is directed towards, or generated by, dinner. Here is a lot of the senses of the way the preposition justifies this usage:

for
          [fawr; unstressed fer]
          Spell Syllables
          • Synonyms
          • Word Origin
          preposition
          appropriate or adapted to: a subject for speculation;
          clothes for winter.
          10.
          with regard or respect to: pressed for time;
          too warm for April.
          19.
          contributive to:
          for the advantage of everybody.
          24.
          such as results in:
          his reason for going.
          28.
          by reason of; because of : to shout for joy;
          a city famed for its beauty.
          conjunction
          33.
          seeing that; since.
          34.
          because.
          Idioms
          35.
          for it, British, in (def 33).

• ansionnach says:

This doesn’t seem relevant and isn’t specifically about the use of “for” with “excited”, which is reserved for empathy.

• Villephox says:

“Excited for” implies empathy. You can be excited for your friend that gets to take a really cool trip or got a promotion. “Excited about” means that something excites you. You can be excited about the really cool sandwich you packed for lunch, but if you were excited FOR the sandwich, it would mean that something good is happening to the sandwich. In that case, it would be “I’m excited for this sandwich, which gets to experience the pleasure of being eaten by me.”

• dontnormally says:

Is it not possible to empathize with a game / dev studio for being super rad?

• vahnn says:

It is, and you would express that by saying, “I’m excited for the SR dev team…”

• Goodtwist says:

Awesome, I’m excited about me getting schooled and thank you both of you!

• Minglefingler says:

Ha ha! You’re welcome.

• dorobo says:

This is good stuff! There is a benefit of going down to comment section :)

• SuicideKing says:

Actually, I think this is valid pedantry (lol) because it does change the meaning of things rather than just being slightly incorrect.

• Minglefingler says:

I dlo enjoy pedantry. Someone once taped a note to the windowsill in the office at work. It read “this window must be cleared at all times.” I waited until I knew the office manager was approaching and stood sweeping the empty air with my hand. He asked what I was doing and I told him that I was simply obeying the sign’s instruction. Thankfully he was a friend and chose not to spit in my face.

3. WeeMadAndo says:

Black Annex Club.

Black Annex. Black Annex. Black Annex. Blannex.

I hope there’s a Scred reference too.

4. GWOP says:

I like that you can make it rain viscera after getting through the armor.

5. aircool says:

80’s synths, looks like Blade Runner.

Sold!

Harlander says:

My desire for a coat with neon piping is only stoked higher by this trailer!

• MisterFurious says:

It doesn’t seem like good attire for sneaking around, though.

7. Neutrino says:

Availalble on Windows Mac and Linux, DRM free via GOG.

Now that’s what I call a PC game done right and these guys are so getting my money.

• jonahcutter says:

They’ve been solid as devs so far as well, with regular, informative updates and solid game builds.

A notably smooth, non-dramatic early access process.

• Xzi says:

That doesn’t have any impact on the quality of a game whatsoever, but okay…

• Xzi says:

I already bought the game in EA and I’m waiting for release to play it, but jus’ saying. When a game only gets released on one DD platform or another, people need to stop acting like its somehow exclusive to a console that they don’t own. Just support developers that make good games and stop acting like your moral high-ground is going to hurt anyone other than yourself.

• Neutrino says:

I don’t at all see how me lauding and wanting to support a game being released DRM free constitutes me hoisting my ‘moral high ground’ on anyone else in the first place.

8. Seboss says:

This game direly needs more coverage. Thanks RPS for mentioning it!

9. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Excellent. Thanks for reminding me that this is coming out soon.

neffo says:

I adored Syndicate on Amiga, just so many fun memories. Laying in wait to set fire to tens of agents as they turn the corner on the Atlantic Accelerator, I watched laser beams turn my mod level 3 agents turn to dust in American Revolt…

All those moments will be lost … in time … if this game blows.

11. Gibs says:

Oh me likes.

12. MadTinkerer says:

Oh wow. I had no idea that the Final Fantasy VII remake was going to be subtitled “Satellite Reign” or that you’d have so much more control over the characters! I prefer Cloud’s old haircut, though.

13. drucifer says:

I have fond memories of the Syndicate games, except for the escort missions. I hope there are no escort missions. I’ll certainly get this when it’s £15 or less.

14. suibhne says:

Huh: “Satellite Reign was Kickstarted in 2013, getting just a little more than the $350,000 the team were asking for.”

In fact, it was 350,000 pounds, not dollars, and the campaign eventually achieved over 460K pounds. That’s a pretty substantial difference that accounted to several stretch goals. It’s not really accurate to characterize the KS campaign’s success as merely “a little more than” the base goal.

15. Jakkar says:

Something is off.

Visual atmosphere; everything is neon. Instead of a grey, wet, dirty world enlivened by garish neon lights (for a recent example, Rain World link to store.steampowered.com ), we have a world in which everything is equally neon, including caucasian skintones and that hacker’s ginger hair. So what’s the point, in terms of visual impact, or focus? Perhaps we’re an aesthete who has taken a small amount of LSD before manning the satellite drone flying overhead.

Characters: Faces are shown, unique hairstyles, stylised jackets. These feel more like cybergothic partygoers, or a scifi-LARP crew than some kind of corporate paramilitaries.

I don’t know the plot of SR, but I don’t like what I’m seeing, in these terms.

While the violence, a key part of the setting and homage, appears to be nonexistent then suddenly ‘meat flop’, as 90% of the bodymass and all of the equipment/weaponry vanishes and leaves a small pile of organ tissues to spawn and gently plop onto the ground.

All in all, even this doctored view of the game has diminished rather than amplified my interest. It looks like style over substance, and bland substance at that.

Harlander says:

It looks like style over substance, and bland substance at that.

“bland style”, surely?

• Jakkar says:

Even as I clicked, yes, I wanted to correct that – and even as I clicked, I realised my motivational energies had already run out. Send more dopamine agonists, we are going down.

• ansionnach says:

Definitely hear what you’re saying. The music, sound effects and text are reminiscent of Syndicate Wars but the graphics look a bit naff and are pretty unappealing. There’s just something cheap-looking about the game and this trailer dampens rather than raises my hopes. Crowd funding may be a way of getting games that would otherwise not be released but if the production value isn’t up to the level of the previous games then are they really the games we wanted? This includes recent remakes that weren’t crowd-funded but were made by a less talented team like the Monkey Island special editions and the Gabriel Knight remake. If I didn’t already own any of these I’d pick up the older versions, as they’re better.

All that said, it’s too early to say much about this game. Hopefully the game itself is good.

• Jakkar says:

As can be seen in the comment-thread beneath the recent Planetary Annihilation: Titans post, the issue-at-large may be as simple as this; nostalgia alone is not enough. Without inspiration, skill and the self-discipline to refine the basic design into something that’s fun to play and internally consistent, all the nostalgia and well-meaning homage in the world will go to waste.

Harlander says:

When I last played the pre-release, the small-scale gameplay of infiltrating small places was pretty solid. There wasn’t much of the overarching world gameplay in by that point.

My worry is, navigating the open world between locations you want to attack could end up falling into the same cool-idea-but-not-actually-that-fun of the between-mission city areas in the later Thief games.

• zxcasdqwecat says:

All of this is the enough amount of detail the game actually needs, the meat and potatoes is the simulation of the city and what a killer squad can do whitin the simulation limits. The combat opportunities, the economy of things (spend money and attacks as long as you get stronger), the media, the elements can toy with (Idk car crashes? Lights and alarms going off?). Open world ideas made cool.

16. zxcasdqwecat says:

Cool:0 Does it have coop?