London Calling: Ubi’s Survival Horror FPS Zombi Out

London calling to the zombies of death.

Ubisoft’s survival horror FPS ZombiU was contained as a Wii U exclusive for a surprising three years, but today it escaped Nintendo’s console to gnaw on skulls round our way too. Now named Zombi [official site], it’s set in London during a zombie apocalypse. I haven’t seen ZombiU in a while, but I remember it as least being a better representation of London than most games manage – they really captured the shambling zombies sicking up guts round Brick Lane.

So there you are, just some regular Jane or Joe in the zombie apocalypse – you (re)spawn as a random character each time – trying to salvage supplies, get safe, and beat the heck out of zombies when you end up caught in a plot to save the day following an old prophecy by John Dee. They can never leave well enough alone, that Ubisoft – always have to wedge in a secret society and ancient science.

Like many survival horror-y games, you’re generally low enough on ammo that you’ll be trying to bludgeon zombies (this version adds a shovel and naily baseball bat to go with the cricket bat). You’re also vulnerable when in your inventory and otherwise interacting with stuff, as the game keeps running. Should you kick the bucket, your character will turn into a zombie that your next survivor can track down and squish to recover their gear. It’s a mild permadeath, but adds a nice little extra threat.

This new PC version, however, does not have the local multiplayer bits of the original ZombiU – it’s all solo. This blog post details other changes too. It does have a smaller price tag, though.

Zombi is out now for download for Windows from Steam and Uplay for £14.99. I believe Adam might be telling us about it at some point. Until then, have a launch trailer:

1. jonahcutter says:

Does ‘murican style stick-to-ball even have any significant presence in Britland, where you all would have our 2nd-most important anti-zombie tool (frying pan always #1 just for audio alone) at hand?

Just the bit about being able to hunt down your own zombie for your gear is close to tricking me into buying this.

• Innocent Dave says:

Fortunately, although Stick-to-Ball remains a niche sport over here, the British public have long embraced the various alternative uses of the humble baseball bat:

link to pcworld.com

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Nothing like some stick to balls while “watching” foot to balls.

• jonahcutter says:

Ah nice. Heartwarming even.

Cross-cultural pollination via mob violence.

2. XhomeB says:

Apparently, the port lacks various graphical features compared to the WiiU version (lens flares, filters, various details here and there like shadows etc.). Why. How.

• ScubaMonster says:

Wow, Ubisoft has hit a new low. A PC release being downgraded from the Wii U version of all things? And I thought it was bad when Dead or Alive 5 released lacking graphical features. At least that one was still pretty spot on for the most part (visually anyway).

• Memph says:

You may have missed their pitiful effort at Resi 4, which managed to be worse than the PS2 version, that was already infamously worse than the Gamecube version.

• Muppetizer says:

It looks to me like the lighting system has had some numbers twigged a bit, some areas look worse and some areas look better. As for the lens flare effect being missing, while I’ll agree it was used so much it became part of the aesthetic in the original release, you could totally argue it was first implemented as a way to hide the lower fidelity in a lot of scenes. A lot of textures look waaaaaaay higher res now and removing the smoke and mirrors screen covering effects could be a way to show that off.

I loved this on the Wii U, it was a really top notch proper old school survival game. I’d be hesitant to try it out on a different platform though, the controller did so much to bring a real physicality to the tension and terror.

3. MrFinnishDude says:

In your head, in your hee-e-ead…

4. Lord_Mordja says:

I’ve heard good things about this game, it’s just that a lot of them rely a lot on the Wii-U’s unique controller.

5. FreeTom says:

Ok, onto the Steam wishlist it goes, seeing as everyone liked the console one.

Seriously though, it took a long time and it’s been great but I think I’m finally burned out on the zombie theme now. If you can’t think of a different baddie for your games in future, just let me blow up coloured rectangles.

6. Vandelay says:

Enjoyed this quite a bit on the Wii U. It certainly suffered a bit from the rush to have it out for the console’s release, but it was fun and offered some nice demonstrations as to why you would want to have a tablet jammed into your controller (one of the only games on the Wii U that actually has done this, unfortunately. Always thought it had potential to do interesting things, but it is still yet to be utilised.)

Hopefully this release tries to fix the main problem I had with the game, that of the limited variety in the melee combat. As ammo was so limited, you spent most of your time using the trusty cricket bat, with repetitive animation and irritating sound effects. A few more melee weapons is nice to see, but hopefully these also come with their own positives and drawbacks.

Also had a lot of fun with the multilayer, in which one person placed zombies using the tablet controller and the other had to fight them off. Understandably not included here, but can definitely recommend it for anyone who has access to a Wii U.

• Nootrac4571 says:

Re: the lack of Wii U games that fully exploit the tablet controller, I don’t understand why there aren’t expanded versions of some of the Nintendoland minigames. Mario Chase, Luigi’s Ghost Mansion and Zelda: Battle Quest are all post-pub local multiplayer staples round my way, and I’d gladly buy full-length versions of them all.

7. Lord_Santa says:

oh Ubisoft, is it 1986 again?

link to en.wikipedia.org

• Ansob says:

ZombiU is named after Zombi, so… yes, I guess.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Oh my God, I have literally not even thought about that game for like 24 years! Why did my parents let me play it? No wonder I’m a nervous wreck.

8. Oakreef says:

I played the original Wii U version and a little bit and it seems like it wouldn’t be as good without the unique hardware.

9. Kefren says:

Ah. Requires a Uplay account and Uplay installing even if you buy it on Steam. I doubt if they’ll remove the requirement for two clients to play one game, so I’ll just hope it turns up on GOG one day…

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Thank Cthulhu for Enhanced Steam. <3
      link to i.imgur.com

• Jalan says:

It’s also listed on the store page normally as well.

That said, RIP Enhanced Steam. The dev being a shill for Chrome I could live with, but him abandoning the other alternative he had told Firefox users to consider using (the stand-alone release) was the end of that for me.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

It’s easily missable on the store page though, link to i.imgur.com clarification. The bright red warning is a bit more obvious. :)

It’s a shame the author felt to negative about Mozilla’s new signing policy but it’s his time so his choice in the end.

I read a lot of security concerns about the stand-alone version too so I never tried that but I’ll keep using Chrome in parallell to Firefox because Firefox sync is still far from perfect.

• frightlever says:

I bought Far Cry 3 on Steam, which was my introduction to uPlay. I wouldn’t mind so much if I could buy on Steam, activate on uPlay and then just play via uPlay but if I go to re-install it via uPlay, it immediately starts Steam and insists it gets installed from there, but will start uPlay when I hit “play” on Steam.

That’s nuts, right?

Now if only uPlay had decent discount sales I wouldn’t mind so much, but either I never hear about them or they just don’t happen. Best case, you wait for the retail version to hit rock bottom and activate on uPlay that way. Oh, of course, Zombi is download only. Ack.

10. geldonyetich says:

Pesky English anti-violence laws. Might as well patch it with the American version that replacesbthe zombies with chavs.

11. Saarlaender39 says:

“London calling to the zombies of death
    Quit holding out and draw another breath
    London calling and I don’t wanna shout
    But while we were talking I saw you nodding out
    London calling see we ain’t got no high
    Except for that one with the yellowy eyes”

Ah, the Clash’s best.

12. headless97 says:

A three year old game about the most tired topic in gaming, from an unsuccessful console, and untrustworthy publisher, is being released with content removed.

Pass.

13. Jokerme says:

All in all looks like it runs very well even if it’s a WiiU port and really graphically demanding. At they scaled it well, I can approve of that.

• Jokerme says:

*not demanding

• clippa says:

It does run very well, though mouse sensitivity fluctuates with the framerate so you’ll be having to enable v-sync anyway or using a framerate limiter.
      No mouse acceleration which is very surprising for a ubisoft title.
      FOV at max (+10%) isn’t great but it’s totally fine for a slow horror game like this.
      I bought the original when it came out on the wii-u and I have to say, personally, I found all of the pad specific “features” to be just annoying gimmicks. The game plays better without them.