A List Of Expensive Technological Items I Continually Crave, And Why I Should Not Have Them

I always want something, and that something is almost always technology. I can very rarely afford it, which only makes the itch, the hunger, the need all the more acute. Here are just a few of my persistent fixations, and more importantly the reasons I absolutely should not buy them. I write them here in the hope it will prevent me from a drunken credit card binge any time soon.

1) A 120MHz and/or ultra-widescreen and/or 4K and/or Gysnc and/or Freesync monitor

I used to work with our technology correspondent Jeremy Laird on a computing magazine back in the day, and we’re still chums. So I know from first-hand experience that when he gets fired up about something monitor-related – which is often – he really means it. I get caught up in it when I read his pieces about adaptive sync, high refresh rates and curved super-wide screens, convincing myself that a faster, bigger or otherwise flashier screen is key to enjoying games even more. I tell myself that my job actively requires me to obtain these items otherwise I am useless to my readers. Man, just looking at the links in the last sentence makes me desperate for an upgrade.

Why I should not have it: I have never once thought “gosh, the only thing stopping me from enjoying this game is that my screen only refreshes at 60Hz” or “if only the picture was wider” or “ooh, curse that pesky V-sync!” I’m sure these things seem lovely if I am looking for these things, but like an audiophile and his solid adamantium speaker cables, if I am looking for these things I am not entirely paying attention to the game itself – and that really would mean missing out. Performance is one thing – I do like my 60 frames if I can get ’em – but a game will not become better or worse because of a super-monitor beyond the £200 grey market 1440p IPS one I already have. Once these things are dirt-cheap, sure, I’ll get one, but right now it would be throwing money I can’t afford away on pure indulgence that I’d probably stop noticing after an hour.

2) A new processor

My current CPU is five years old. Up until last year, I was running an eight-year-old one without any meaningful issue. I only got the other one because a mate blew up his motherboard, and it was of such an age that replacing it cost almost as much as buying the latest chipset plus an up-to-date processor, so he gave the old CPU to me. Granted, said CPU is a hexacore Intel i7 980x which overclocks to 4GHz with about as much effort as it takes to tie my shoelaces, so it’s not exactly scraping the barrel, but even so: five years old. My motherboard’s even older. Once in a while I become convinced that I need to be up-to-date, that jumping from Intel’s Nehalem architecture to the very latest Skylake range will make all the difference. My PC will be faster, cooler, quieter, my energy bills will be cheaper, games will run better, boot times will be lightning-quick… In reality, only the latter is true (no UEFI on this old mobo, y’see).

Yes, Intel’s chips have seen multiple minor improvements over the last half-decade, and yes, at some point I’m going to have to upgrade because there are no motherboards for my chip which offer PCI-Express 3 or USB 3.1 or M.2 and/or SFF-8639 connections for faster hard drives, but I do not currently need any of those things, and nor do I expect to any time soon. The truth is I want a shiny new Skylake chip purely because I don’t like the idea that I’m theoretically so far behind the Joneses. I could spend £300-400 on getting bang up to date, and while my itch might be scratched, I wouldn’t notice an iota of difference in practice. Frankly, if I’d stuck with that eight year i7 920, overclocked to 3.8GHz, I’d be in the same situation too. Same goes for anyone else: unless you’re running a really low-end chip, there is probably no Earthly reason you need to upgrade. Intel won the CPU arms race quite some time ago, and the sad result is it doesn’t need to raise the bar any time soon.

3) 4K

I.e. a 4K monitor and a graphics card which can handle that kind of resolution. I want it because other people have it and because it’s become a by-word for ‘better-than-life’ in the way HD used to be. But see point 1, really. Admittedly, fiddling with virtual resolutions has granted me some spectacular pseudo-4K sights, but I can’t pretend I’m somehow short-changed by playing games at 1440p, thanks to this £200 Korean IPS panel I bought about three years ago. The jump I’d get is marginal, but the expense required heartbreaking.

4) HTC/Valve Vive

Alright, this one I probably will buy as soon as I humanly can. I’m totally onboard with virtual reality, and when I tried Valve’s take on it I was entirely smitten, and massively frustrated that I’d have to wait so long to try it again. But I am not a wealthy man, and property in the South of England is extremely expensive. Where I live is very, very small. This is all the floor space I’d be able to dedicate to the Vive’s base station:

I.e. shit all, i.e. it’s going to be an exercise in miserable futility, i.e. I absolutely should not bother with a Vive unless I suddenly become rich enough to afford a new house. Er, anyone want to buy a website?

5) Better/more graphics cards

I’ve got a GTX 970. I’m lucky to have it, and it’s a champ which can manage most anything on high settings at 1440p, which is a country mile on from what people are perfectly happy with on console. But once in a while I hit something which requires some settings drop to medium or I can’t have anti-aliasing on, and I become so distracted by the knowledge I’m missing out on some sort of nebulous, meaningless shininess that I can’t just settle down and enjoy the game. It’s got to stop. Softer shadows or crisper edges are not going make things better. Spending £400-odd on an even better card or getting into the hellish confusion that is SLI will only make me feel sick. I don’t need it. Everything’s OK, it’s fine, please, help me, stop the hunger.

6) A new mobile phone

Jesus Christ, every six months I get the itch and start browsing second-hand sites. What the hell is wrong with me? All I use ’em for is to text the same three people and read the same three websites. I’ve had the current phone for 18 months now though, which is probably some sort of record. If I can make it to two years I’ll consider myself cured.

This feature was originally published as part of, and thanks to, the RPS Supporter Program.

Hammer says:

Oh god, oh god. Processor envy is the worst. I have an i5-4somethingsomethingsomething which can’t be overclocked, but does perfectly well for everything I need to do and I still want a new one just because.

Graphics card lust, on the other hand, is perfectly justified.

• melnificent says:

I keep hoping my CPU (i5-4430) fails so I have a valid excuse to upgrade. It runs things absolutely fine, but no overclocking and it’s 2 years old… that’s like 12 in tech years.

• ANeM says:

I’m sitting here with a Core 2 Quad EXTREME, where in this case the EXTREME is for EXTREMELY LONG LIVED, because that thing came out back in like 07.

On one hand I’d love it if it died, and I could justify a new processor, motherboard and ram.. but on the other hand I’m constantly convincing myself that maybe the next set of processors will be the big leap forward and if I can just hold out a few more months it’ll all be worth the wait.

• Unholymess says:

I’m still on my core2duo E4400 overclocked to a measly 2.4ghz and to be fair it’s only been giving me major issues with games for the last year or so. Most notably, Rust runs at about 1fps now lol. I really need to upgrade but I have no idea to what because even an i3 would be a significant step up from what I have!!

• Cinek says:

Nah, I still run i7 920 and don’t see any good reason to upgrade. It runs anything and everything just fine.

Though it’s amusing when someone occasionally tells me “hey, your CPU is so old, it might be damaged, did you check if your CPU is damaged?” when I look for some help online when this or the other game doesn’t want to run for some odd reason.

• DeepFried says:

I also run an i7 920 and I can categorically say it is too slow. Even overclocked out the wazoo its bottlenecking my graphics card (a lowly HD7870), and its also a major limiting factor for performance in Arma.

• Eleven says:

I used to get CPU-limited in Planetside 2, especially in the big battles. I upgraded from an Intel i7 930 to a 5930 without changing the graphics card, and now I get smooth 60fps even in the real crunch moments.

It takes the right game to show the difference of a fast CPU, but those games will become more numerous as time goes on.

• brat-sampson says:

I had an i7 920 up to a couple of months ago when my motherboard started to cause the PC to cut out and I couldn’t replace it easily without changing the chipset. I upgraded it to i5 4690 and tbh don’t feel much of a difference. This in comparison to upgrading to an SSD about a year ago (immediate huge difference) and a 970 last winter (immediate difference, if less huge).

I’m guessing it’s more future-proof but still, that 920 was a beast, considering I’d had it for nigh on 5 years or so.

• d70cw says:

very similar story – i upgraded from an i7 920 in january to i5 4690k. Cant tell any performance improvements in games (though tbh since i quit wow in 2014 i was determined to play some of my steam backlog of ~200 aging games, so it probably isnt been challenged by the most demanding games).

do kinda wish i hadnt of paid the £400 cost of upgrading for apparent zero difference though…..

DelrueOfDetroit says:

My 3350p just isn’t cutting it anymore. I really wish I had done more research when buying my components and gone for a K chip and Z board. As it is I am stuck at 3.3ghz max and that is very quickly becoming a bottleneck (under min for Metal Gear and I will not be having any of that.) Bought a used E3 1230v2 as it is about the best I could find price/performance wise without OC for an LGA 1155. Won’t be a huge boost but should last me until the next best thing.

• Stargazer86 says:

Heck, I’m still running an i5 750 with 8 gigs of ram and an Nvidia GT 660. I really do desperately want to upgrade to something fancier and flashier but honestly I haven’t had any issues running anything. Sure, I had to turn shadows of in Planetside 2 to get a solid 60fps (though I think that’s more bad optimization on their part) and I had to turn Witcher 3 settings down to medium to do the same, but most everything else I can still run on high or even ultra depending on the game.

• LionsPhil says:

Still on a Core 2 Quad Q6600.

Still only really strangles KSP.

I almost jumped on the Devil’s Canyon lot, then ultimately didn’t. And now Skylake’s happening, with a new socket and new motherboard and DDR4, but not a huge increase in anything, so I probably should have gone for the last hurrah of the last generation, and it would have lasted me for a comparable lifespan.

• geldonyetich says:

Upgrading from my AMD FX-8120 CPU is probably the next big milestone for me, as it’s my lead bottleneck on a two GTX 970 system. (I had me a bit of a splurge that I’m still rather far from completely paying off.)

However, as Meer observes, it seems like processor upgrades have proven significantly less necessary than they were back in the days when the speeds would double every year and a half. This processor is over 3 years old and barely any software exists that gives it a problem. Yes, even though it’s AMD and not Intel. The only two times I found myself at a disadvantage was when playing Planetside 2 (a notoriously CPU-heavy app) and Minecraft when running a ton of mods.

• Jediben says:

Yikes. You’ll be upgrading over £500 of hardware to get the most out of that £700 decision.

• geldonyetich says:

True enough. My reasoning was a nice SLI setup of two beefy-but-not-Titan-cost cards will probably last about 5 years, so that’s plenty of time to pay that off and work on my CPU.

Honestly, the biggest hangup is just finding the software that actually needs that much firepower. Maybe this new push to bring virtual reality into the mainstream will incentivize such software.

• salgado18 says:

Actually, because games don’t use so many cores, he could jump to a 4-core Intel, or next year an AMD Zen. It’s not like he needs an 8-core Skylake or something.

• geldonyetich says:

In practice, I very rarely ever find an application that actually bottlenecks the CPU. When I run 3DMark, it deliberately dings me points for a test that utilizes the CPU much more than the average application. I probably won’t bother upgrading the CPU until I either I find an application I want to use that really needs the greater firepower or my CPU/Motherboard breaks and needs replacement.

• Jerricho says:

I rebuilt my rig back in 2006 with an AMD X2 5200 2.6GHz
      There is one CPU I could replace it with on that motherboard, an Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe **WiFi Edition**
      I love that motherboard. The heatsink socket broke many years ago so I thought maybe it was time to upgrade but I managed to repair the mobo with a replacement socket for only £7.

It’s starting to struggle with things now so it might be time to upgrade.

Aerothorn says:

I realize, as an American, I know nothing about English property values (other than London Is Expensive Obviously).

• aoanla says:

Basically: London is Hugely Expensive, the South of England is Expensive, and then things get cheaper until you reach Scotland, which has its own set of Expensive houses especially in Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

• Gap Gen says:

It’s analogous to New York / probably a lot of US cities – selling off all the social housing (save for a few ineffectual sops to “affordable” housing that keeps the middle class happy while pricing out poorer people, combined with no small amount of effective racial discrimination) and not building any more causing prices to spike, combined with a broad media assault on actual solutions to the problem as being socialistic or outdated (because they would cut into the profits of people who have invested in the housing market).

• Jediben says:

It’s the baby boomers’ fault. NHS should be withdrawn for those in the 60-80 bracket.

3. Chaz says:

You may have a small room, but at least you have some furniture, unlike in Mr Laird’s man cave. Somewhere behind the camera I’m imagining a pile of bracken against one wall, which he sleeps on and a fire pit at the entrance.

Dorga says:

The Vive thing seems to me the only sensible craving. Comfort yourself in the knowledge that I don’t own a gaming pc, or any kind of pc actually…

• caff says:

I think a lot of people will jump at the Vive on release. It sounds pretty special. I can’t be arsed standing up with it though.

distantlurker says:

(nice article Alex, tnx!)

The Vive sounds *amazing* but I have a similar problem to Alec (Central Edinburgh prices, *shrug*) and since Oculus now has a sit-down motion tracker I just think that’s ultimately going to be more practical from an actual gaming perspective.

I’m definitely getting one of ’em tho.. or both… damn it Alec! :P

• metric day says:

Man, stop spreading this ignorant misinformation. the Vive is perfectly capable of accommodating sitting down VR with limited space just like the Oculus Rift. You just HAVE THE OPTION of tracking in a bigger era.

• metric day says:

Bigger area, obviously. We are entering the bigger era of the bigger area!

turkeydrumstick says:

I think Valve may have shot them self in the foot by showing off Vive with such strong emphasis on standing/moving about.

Consider that with how similar the Oculus and Vive headsets are in every other aspect there is little reason for a developer to only target one of the products (expect for platform-exclusivity wankery), which would mean that there will be roughly the same “sitting down” experiences for Vive as for the Oculus hardware.

It seems like a lot of people already have written off Vive due to space concerns though.

• matnym says:

Yeah, Vive should work perfectly fine as a seated experience but it hasn’t really been advertised.

Found this video showing of that off, and I must say it’s pretty impressive.

• fish99 says:

First thing that occurs to me watching that video – they need to get rid of the wire to the headset. We need wireless VR.

Bluerps says:

I used to feel the same, but in recent years that just went away, for some reason.

I have a Core i7-920 in my PC. I bought that CPU 6 years ago and a lot of my other PC parts are the same age. I upgraded the graphics card twice, installed an SSD and bought a new monitor, because the old one was broken. That’s pretty much it – I mostly buy new hardware when something breaks, or when I think that the new part will make a significant difference.

• aoanla says:

Yeah, this feeling exactly nowadays. I still don’t have a monitor which reaches 1080p resolution, because my current monitor (which does the resolution just down from that, 1440×900) is absolutely fine, still. (Although, I now, as of 2 months ago, have 2 such monitors, after salvaging another one with a broken-power switch.)
      I haven’t replaced my current hard disks in ages either, so I am somewhat inconvenienced by the increasing side of modern games – I guess I should actually do this next?
      But, honestly, I really don’t feel the need to buy expensive upgrades anymore.

6. Sin Vega says:

I don’t even know what several of these things are. Hurrah for ignorance! Also the monitor I’m using is incapable of HD or going above 1024×768, I’ve only ever bought two phones, and I haven’t bought a peripheral (except for a few mice and a usb stick) since 2011.

Sign over your hardware budgeting to me. You know it is right.

• Buggery says:

1024×768 – king of resolutions. Least it’s better than 800×600?

I’m pretty sure my watch can do the same resolution and it’s a calculator watch from the 80’s.

tigerfort says:

120MHz monitors? Surely that’s about a thousand times faster than anyone could possibly think was necessary!

• Freaky says:

Great, another one of those “the human eye can’t see more than a hundred thousand FPS” whackjobs.

• Caerphoto says:

I look forward to the day when 800THz monitors are commonplace.

• fish99 says:

120Hz gets rid of the fps drop from v-sync. It also looks noticeably smoother. And it can do 3D.

tigerfort says:

Do jokes often make that whoosh noise when you’re around?

• fish99 says:

‘Whoosh’ would suggest I didn’t get the joke, when actually I just didn’t read your post carefully. Didn’t see the M in MHz, and TBH that should be pretty obvious from what I posted.

Sorry dude it’s the internet, I scan-read everything.

8. amateurviking says:

Impulse control is hard. At least for you it’s tax deductible.

cairbre says:

Really great article which I can unfortunately relate too. I was going to show it to my partner but then she would only bring it up when I wanted another piece of technology. I’m getting a new monitor for Christmas and that’s that. That asus one ye reviewed and called the shit.

I blame rps for all its technology porn.

• DeepFried says:

If that’s the one I’m thinking of it has really bad backlight bleed, you might want to look into that.

Arnvidr says:

I’m actually considering an ultra-wide monitor at the moment. But the reasons are practical and not related to gaming, so that’s alright then? :D

heretic says:

Marketing is evil, it hits some corner of our brains that make us want SHINIES.

I had a big pang of this when GTA 5 and the Witcher 3 came out, somehow resisted (price is just too high which is thankfully one of the only things that overrides impulses), and now it’s not so bad – but it was quite hard to resist! I’ll pick them up later when price goes down I guess… and in the meantime work on the backlog :P

12. amorpheous says:

Dear Santa,

I would really, really, really, really, really appreciate it if I could get a monitor with the following specification:

2560×1600 resolution
    FreeSync support
    90+Hz refresh rate
    30+ inches in size
    Plus all the other goodness you usually get with a monitor made for TV and gaming

Regards,

amorpheous

13. TheMightyEthan says:

“throwing money I can’t afford away on pure indulgence that I’d probably stop noticing after an hour” – Story of my life…

14. phanteh says:

Totally identify with this post. I had a bleeding edge PC once, when I was 18 and could blow two weeks worth of wages on a graphics card…

It didn’t last.

I’ve gotten in a good habit of simply not giving a shit; phone contract nearly up, look at all the phones, read all the reviews, get new phone, stop caring.

• TheMightyEthan says:

Yeah, I’ve gotten a lot better about it too. My phone contract’s up right now, in fact, but I don’t really feel the need to upgrade. Galaxy S4’s serving me just fine thank you (especially now that they’ve got off their butts and put Lollipop on it).

15. EnduroDoug says:

Registered, finally, just to comment on this.

ALL OF THIS.

I recently realized how much joy I was robbing myself of by upgrading too often. No, seriously. It wasn’t until I finally upgraded my beloved Canon G10 to a spiffy G15 that I was able to see that, by waiting 5 years between upgrades, I was able to be amazed at the monumental improvements that had been made. Same with the smartphone. I had gone a few years without upgrading because, to me, my phone worked just fine and swapping phones is a pain in the ass (yes, I’m a yank, hence my mispronunciation of “arse”). Anyway, I was amazed at how much had changed in smartphone tech in those 3-4 years. In the past, when I would try to convince myself to upgrade this and that every 18 months, I almost always had buyer’s remorse. Not anymore. The minor improvements are nice, but nothing compares to the awe you feel when you really make a technological jump.

16. faelnor says:

Unless you want to play Arma 3.

17. Richard_from_Winnipeg says:

A construction company I was working for several years ago gave me $1000.00 for a laptop and so I ended up with a Lenovo Y580 multimedia gaming laptop. At the same time I sprung for some nice accessories like a keyboard and monitor. While I appreciate that the laptop has a quick enough processor the graphics are just too much of a bottle neck and who has $3000.00 to blow on an awesome gaming laptop (My buddy who travels up North to the mines doing electrical work for weeks at a time – that’s who).

I think I would’ve been better off with a desktop dedicated to gaming and a laptop that was dedicated to school and work use that could run torchlight and other low end games. As it is I have a laptop and a Dell 2560×1080 monitor and the laptop just cannot run newer games on the screen unless details are turned down. Laptop makers need to work with Nvidia and AMD to have a socket that allows for upgrading graphics chips.

I guess the good side is that in the long run I’m going to have a gaming desktop in the foreseeable future that will stay home and then my current do-it-all laptop will allow me to game on the go still (as long as there’s a nearby power outlet).

As for phones. My Google Nexus 5 has the software glitch that cancels out my voice and so I’ve been using it in speaker phone mode which disables noise cancellation. Unfortunately I damaged the speaker on my phone and now can choose between hearing but not speaking or speaking but not hearing. Time for a new phone.

• Mateflasche says:

I knew I had heard of this problem before, so I searched my browser history a little. Here’s what I found: link to forum.xda-developers.com
      It seems crude but it works :P
      Hope you read this, I reset my password on my phone for it which was a pain.

18. Jenks says:

I haven’t bought anything hardware related in 3 years, to justify going nuts when Oculus Rift and Star Citizen are released.

19. Vodka, Crisps, Plutonium says:

“ooh, curse that pesky V-sync!”
    But, seriously – curse that thing.

Eversince, switching from CRT (first, it was a Packard Bell laptop with some i5 CPU and ATI Radeon 5650 Mobile; then Athlon II X3 450 with GTX 560Ti – I know, I’m a grown up and still unlucky to get my hands on proper i7 with GTX 9XX series gaming tower!), I’ve noticed that every time you get to switch V-Sync, the control response gets annoyingly noticeable, especially the mouse look.

I usually tend to solve 95% of my PC-user related problems within a first attempt of searching the solution at Google, but this one has proved to be a really hardshell hazelnut to crack with my own teeth.

So yeah, ten times curse the V-sync!

20. SuicideKing says:

Frankly Skylake is the only way you’ll actually see the game reach 120 fps.

And don’t check out yesterday’s IDF Keynote, or you’ll end up wanting controllable spiderbots and virtual floating displays.

21. Chorltonwheelie says:

£200 27″ 1440×1560 IPS Korean monitor is the best value peripheral I ever bought (and I’m a proper kit Queen). Won’t need to upgrade for many years.

(Research wisely and you’ll be getting the same panel Apple wanted £1500 for).

It’s all about good research, getting the best value at any particular moment and not worrying about the ‘next big thing’.

22. Rikard Peterson says:

You think 18 months is a long time for a phone? Mine (an iPhone 4s) is soon four years old, and I don’t plan to replace it any time soon. It still serves me well. I only wish it had better battery life.

• JFS says:

I don’t own a smartphone. My regular cellphones last me years and only get changed when something breaks. I find this post strange.

23. DeepFried says:

“and property in the South of England is extremely expensive.”

Bite the bullet. Move north.

• Jediben says:

Yes, the world has enough Eloi already. Go full Morlock. Embrace the mines!

• dahools says:

Don’t worry, many have made it across the apocalyptic wasteland that is the Midlands. Just stay clear of death claw hotspots like Wolverhampton or Leicester on your way up and if you stop off at a service station try and not catch Radcrabs from the bathrooms.

You will have that dream 3 bed cottage out of “Rapture” with fibre broadband and nosy neighbour, that costs less than a one bed flat in central London in no time.

24. Gap Gen says:

I’m sort of glad that I don’t have this impulse for PC hardware, although as someone who just spent their savings account on taxes plus needing to move probably to another country in just over a year, I’d really rather not have to upgrade or replace anything any time soon.

25. fish99 says:

My PC is fine, but my laptop is really showing it’s age. A T8300 (Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz) used to be a decent CPU but it can’t handle a twitch stream on source, which really surprises me because my £80 tablet can (Lenovo A8-50).

• TheMightyEthan says:

There’s something jacked about Twitch’s encoding. My HTPC can only barely* handle a Twitch stream on Source, and it’s got an i3 in it.

*It plays mostly okay but the framerate hitches and jerks continuously.

edna says:

Might be time for a new Windows install. My netbook has an N2600 (atom) processor and runs Twitch @ source resolution reasonably. It’s a bit low frameratey, but basically fine. Clean Windows 10 install. So your T8300 should certainly be up to it.

• fish99 says:

Thanks edna + TheMightyEthan. Yeah I was thinking of an OS reinstall. It does have Win10 on but it’s an upgrade. TBH I’m not sure it’s felt as fast since I first put Win7 on, like some piece of hardware never got proper Win7 drivers. Otherwise it might be just adobe flash being useless.

26. Kefren says:

I’m still on my first ever mobile phone. I’m 40+. I bought it a few years ago and mostly use it as a torch, calculator and camera, then backup email-checking, in that order. I’m hoping I’ll never need another because of this link to gizmodo.com.au
    For the same reason I try not to buy unnecessary hardware, consoles etc. The switch from physical game discs, films, books and audio to digital has been a nice side-effect of modernity.

• DeepFried says:

They’re not built to last unfortunately.

• Kefren says:

You’re right, though that’s even more reason for me to not bother replacing the phone if it breaks and is unrepairable.

There’s a petition in the first section of link to caredig.blogspot.com about laws to guarantee goods for a particular duration.

27. Det. Bullock says:

O dear, I’m actually *glad* of the relative lack of innovation when it comes to CPUs, until now my i5-3470 is doing its job wonderfully.
    My Radeon HP 7770 with factory overclok and only 1gb of RAM perhaps will get a substitute in a couple of years, and I crave a good SSD, which I’ll get only when 500GB ones will cease to cost like a kidney on the black market as my current 250GB HDD tends to be a bit too constrictive even using an external hard drive for storage.
    Hell, I’d like also a new case too, while the one I have is solid and serviceable it tends to be extremely noisy unless I tap it gently on the side at the right moment, time it wrong and it gets even *more* noisy, sigh, though I still didn’t have enough time to properly verify if there is something loose so the need for a new one might be questionable.

syllopsium says:

You can, of course, buy PCI-e adapter cards to provide USB 3.1 and faster SATA, and they’re not too expensive, either.

I’m running a Q8300 (2.5GHz Core 2 Quad) in my main gaming system, and will look at upgrading when Occulus comes out, or if I get around to playing The Witcher 2, and it’s too slow..

29. Havalynii says:

If I may make a bizarre suggestion regarding processors. I got myself a dual Xeon setup with older Xeons (5650s), both CPUs together costing me $200 with shipping. You can find cheaper boards than I went with (a horribly over-priced EVGA SR-2 Classified). That will give you twelve physical and 24 hyperthreaded cores, room for 48 gigs of DDR3 ram (with EEC support, if you so desire), and you’re free to spend a bit of extra money on a pricey GPU. Then, get in the habit of assigning processes to cores. With 24 of them to choose from, this means that you can have games running on cores that are ONLY assigned to that game, while desktop processes can still have their own as well. The RAM, CPUs, and a cheaper-but-still-good mobo will run you about $600-700 in the States. If you have a friend coming to visit in Europe, have them bring another checked suitcase or pay $100 for an extra suitcase and have them bring it over…you’ll be saving over customs. Honestly, as some one whose computer is using for intensive HD video production as well as audio editing, and who likes to occasionally use the system for running a AAA title on ultra setting with that glorious Shimian 1440p monitor, I think I’ve finally arrived at a system that, for the foreseeable future, will only need GPU upgrades (currently I’m running a pair of GTX 780s, although one runs things fine most of the time).

30. jarowdowsky says:

Man, I just want a good racing wheel and pedals… I feel like I’ve not moved on much since the 90s!

Don Reba says:

I still use an HTC Diamond phone. Sometimes I wish it had a better GPS, but satisfying that wish is not worth hundreds of dollars to me.