Zoomsmash! FlatOut 4: Total Insanity Coming In 2016

When Bugbear Entertainment crowdfunded their smash-o-racer Wreckfest, they drew from an audience built on their previous crash ’em up series FlatOut. 2011’s FlatOut 3 was the first PC FlatOut they weren’t behind, and was shoddy enough that it seemed it’d be the last. I’m a touch wary of publishers Strategy First revealing FlatOut 4: Total Insanity [official site], then, but I do like a good bit of blue flash road mash.

Publishers Strategy First announced the game in July but didn’t have much to say, anything to show of it, or even a name, so I didn’t tell you. Now they do.

Well, a little. They’re offering the basic premise of ‘racing around and crashing cars and exploding’ and seven screenshots demonstrating just that. I like when cars crash and explode.

Strategy First say they want to involve fans, which they’re starting by holding a vote on which tracks they should bring back from FlatOut Ultimate Carnage (which Bugbear did originally make). If you’re one to skip the small print, do be aware that those videos are from Ultimate Carnage, not FlatOut 4.

FlatOut 4: Total Insanity is being made by WRC 5 developers Kylotonn Entertainment with help from Tiny Rebel Games. It’s due in 2016. It will have cars and racing and explosions, and while I can’t tell you much more than that, I’m not sure much more is important right now.

1. w0bbl3r says:

I was just about to flip my effing lid when you mentioned flatout 4, and bugbear. If they had been making this I would have gone totally nuclear, since they abandoned wreckfest months ago.
    Of course, people will defend them and say they are still doing stuff, but basically the game is dead.
    However, a flatout game without bugbear behind it will always be trash. Cashing in on the title, pushing out any old garbage that can look a bit like a flatout game when edited into a trailer.

• laiwm says:

Maybe progress hasn’t been blazing fast on Wreckfest, but they released a major update in June and several patches throughout July.

• LimEJET says:

Nice research. It shows you’re disappointed because you want to be, not because of the game.

They released a HUGE update last month that completely revamped the physics- and damage models.

• brulleks says:

An update that took the game even further away from its Flat Out roots. That wouldn’t be such a problem if I, and many others, hadn’t bought the game based on the tech demo and early builds, which promised a true successor to Flat Out.

What we have now, and what many members of the community are banging the drum for, is a slow, joyless, realism-biased racer that might be finished sometime in the next ten years, whereas what most Flat Out fans wanted was for the early build to have a full complement of cars and tracks and a proper career structure laid over it.

If Flat Out 4 turns out to be a true successor to the series, then I for one will feel mightily aggrieved at having supported Wreckfest.

• caff says:

Yep, Wreckfest does feel sluggish, dull and not that exciting now. I’ve had a few hours of fun out of it though, so I’m only disappointed it didn’t live up to my dreams of a tongue-in-cheek, fast, chaotic and funny physics smash-em-up.

2. raiders says:

Friends,

Please believe me when I say I’m not trying to throw salt on Strategy First’s game; But, if you want superior drive-N-smash gameplay, get Bugbear’s Wreckfest. Once you’ve experienced that, everything else is just a toy.

3. Pich says:

I just want a new Burnout :(

4. LionsPhil says:

…but didn’t have much to say, anything to show of it, or even a name, so I didn’t tell you.

Hurrah! More of this.

I also like how this article starts off with the new game actually made by the same developers as the old series, rather than the one it’s ostentiably about that is just wearing the name.

5. skyturnedred says:

Flatout is the only racing series I like along with Carmageddon. I like smashing into other cars. I suspect I’ll be looking into Wreckfest rather than this, but I hope it turns out at good.

6. Memph says:

Seems that 3’s Team 6 ain’t the developers this time, but Kylotonn are. Whoever they may be.

Their back-catalogue, for your considerationings:
    link to kylotonngames.com