ARK: Survival Evolved – Let’s Play, Part 2

Ark: Survival Evolved [official site] is the survival game du jour, and not without cause. While others have tried to create games that combine dinosaurs and the crafting, progression, and violent encounters typical of the genre, ARK’s early access release seems to come the closest to pulling it off. To explore it a little more, we asked Andro Dars to make a video playthrough to show what works and what doesn’t. Part two is below.

You can find part one elsewhere or by manipulating the playlist in the YouTube embed above.

We’re continuing to experiment with video formats to see what works and what doesn’t. If you’d like to know when our videos go up – including PC game trailers – you can subscribe to the RPS YouTube channel by clicking here.

Don’t like videos at all? We’ve got words about ARK too, such as the tale of Brendan Caldwell’s encounter with an unusually friendly bunch of players.

This post was made possible by the RPS Supporter Program. Thanks for your funding!

1. caff says:

Quite an odd game, but it’s sitting in my library to dip in and out of as it grows.

I don’t care much for the interface/crafting, or the overly stylised look and feel. But it’s certainly better than most “survival” titles going around.

2. Jakkar says:

TIL – that ARK: Survival Evolved is a Scientologist fund-raiser O.o

Noticed the Engrams button on the inventory screen, quickly googled and found that it’s apparently backed by and pours profits back into the church.

That really unsettles me. They’re creepy, dangerous people – minimally harmful compared to major faiths, but twisted nonetheless.

Why can’t I just enjoy a survival game?

With 7 Days to Die, it’s made by ‘The Fun Pimps’, who reek of Men’s Rights Activism in their attitude and community discussions and populate their worlds with female zombies who invariably have lower HP and damage rates than male zombies and frequently display their inflated cleavage in crop tops and sports bras. And whose developer splash screen intro involves the soft giggling of a toddler alongside wet munching noises, as their tropical island logo is eaten in large bites.

Freaky.

Or ARK, which doubles as cult dogma.

What is it about this genre?! It isn’t just the players being sadistic roleplay-rapists, the damned developers are mad too.

• Robostove says:

What the bloody hell are you talking about?

• Jakkar says:

As explained, but perhaps more concisely/clearly – the plot is based upon L Ron Hubbard’s scifi and makes references to Scientology, and is (reportedly)the product of a dev team receiving backing from the scientologist church. It is also alleged, though little information is available, that they are putting profits made on the game back into the church.

That it’s a religiously motivated project, and in part one of Scientology’s grand mad schemes.

I’ve no solid citable data on this, only the reports of individuals associated with the project and the speculations of a few more curious/observant players.

• Beefenstein says:

Yup, it’s true. I played this game for a few months and now I am Tom Cruise, believing I have mastery over MEST (Matter, Energy, Space and Time), jumping on Oprah’s sofa and am confused about my own sexuality.

I pray to L. Ron every day for help but his immortal soul, which rushes around destroying thetans to aid the human race in the coming galactic mind war against Xenu’s implacable peppermint cyborg forces, but all he does is give me ideas to make an even more successful film version of Battlefield Earth.

• frightlever says:

You’re probably talking out your ass, but even if you weren’t. Does it matter? I consume media created by Fundamentalist Christians and don’t let that get in the way of my enjoyment. If they try to ram their doctrine down my throat, I move on.

I watch Tom Cruise movies, My Name is Earl, Mad Men, Jurrasic Park, That 70s Show etc. etc. All media with Scientologists participating and by definition helping fund their Church.

There’s sod all point worrying about Scientology, when there are so many other, worse, larger, organized religions out there.

Now, I suspect the use of the word “engram” is what’s setting some conspiracy theorists off, because it’s a word appropriated by the Church of Scientology, but which has been around since the turn of the last century.

• amateurviking says:

Whaaaaaaaaat?

• steviebops says:

And what’s wrong with MRA?Comparing it to Scientology is waaaay out there.

• Niente says:

I agree about the 7DTD devs. They are sexist idiots. As for ARK, I knew the word ‘engram’ was familiar but I couldn’t come up with the context.

If the game really is funding Scientology then I kinda wish I hadn’t bought it. Those people are nuts.

• Jakkar says:

Glad I’m not alone in feeling that way. Just the dev studio’s name rings a few alarm bells, so I checked them out in curiosity and found them to be people I just didn’t feel comfortable giving money to. Perhaps I’ll play it one day through a giveaway or a very heavy discount, as I do like the idea of a minecraft that emphasises the zombie survival.

3. Robostove says:

I’ve been playing Ark for a couple weeks and have absolutely fallen in love with the game. I made my start as a burglar, stealing narcotics (for taming dinosaurs) and tools from large poorly defended tribes. Since then I’ve been a part of multiple server-wide conflicts where I’ve broken into rival tribe’s bases and stolen blueprints & materials from them. This incited a total war on the server with both of the tribes accusing each other for my little heists. After a multiple day war, one of the tribes has totally destroyed the other and I’m still sitting safely on my little island with none the wiser… AWESOME! Now I’ve started a slave camp where I kidnap new players and ask them to mine rocks in a quarry I’ve set up. Enough rocks and I kit them out with armor and fly them back to the mainland. (A couple have tried to swim off of my Alcatraz and been promptly eaten by sharks) This game is fantastic and I thoroughly encourage everyone to give it a shot.

• Robostove says:

BTW, I encourage playing on a hardcore server. The difference is you lose your levels and start a new character if you die – it’s rough, but it also leads to players being generally more friendly. Aggressive players tend to be quickly found out and destroyed because everyone is so invested in keeping their progress intact.

4. dawnmane says:

what kind of machine does it take to run it at those settings? I have to scale it down to look like complete crap in order to run it at a just barely acceptable framerate.

5. Ejia says:

Reptiles in glasses? You sure know how to appeal to a man’s fetishes.