Cities: Skylines After Dark Expansion Due Sept 24th

Based on my experiences with Hollyoaks Later, Baywatch Nights, and Late Night Woman’s Hour, I expect the Cities: Skylines [official site] expansion ‘After Dark’ to focus on drug addiction, werewolves, and online dating. According to both Adam’s preview and a press release before me announcing a release date, that is untrue. But do you believe everything you read on the Internet?

Come September 24th, we can investigate for ourselves whether it does really add day and night cycles, night life, taxis, and other after-dark odds and ends – or picking up drugged-out werewolves on Tinder.

Accompanying the release date announcement is the first part of a dev diary, which has a few new screenshots goes over the basics of night time. Not the very basics – you won’t find an answer to why the stars wake up just when you and the sun are preparing to sleep (let me know if you know, btw) – but, you know, stuff about what happens to people and traffic at night.

Adam’s preview is the thing to read if you want to know about After Dark, though.

After Dark is due September 24th on Windows, Mac, and Linux, costing $14.99 or whatever that works out to in your local cash money.

Maybe it will replace the in-game fake Twitter with fake Tinder.

1. James says:

Sold! Looking forward to it, now if I can just solve my skilled worker shortage that would be great.

2. Llewyn says:

I didn’t even realise Late Night Woman’s Hour was a thing until I caught a trailer for it last Friday. Seems to have an inexcusable lack of Jenni Murray though.

• somnolentsurfer says:

I listened after seeing Jamie McKelvie tweeting about it the other day. I consider myself reasonably well versed in the Internets, but there were variants of slashfic under discussion I could never have imagined.

3. MrFinnishDude says:

I’m ready to bet, that the day and night cycle will be really dumb on the release day, and fixed with a mod after like a day.

4. somnolentsurfer says:

Will it have flying toasters?

• Bing_oh says:

Everybody remembers Flying Toasters, but what about Flying Toilets? Actually, I used to lean toward Bad Dog, Daredevil Dan, Mike’s So-Called Life, and Voyeur. Is it possible to miss classic screen savers?

• somnolentsurfer says:

It certainly seems so.

Wikipedia tells me you needed the “Totally Twisted” edition for some of those, which I don’t think we had. I was always quite partial to a basic Starry Night or Mandelbrot.

• Bing_oh says:

Man, I forgot Bungee Roulette (where you could set the quality of the bungee cords to vary the failure rate) and Mowin’ Boris for all the cat lovers out there. Did you have to mention this? I want an updated copy of After Dark now!

5. Kabukiman74 says:

Baywatch Nights had Werewolves???

• Sic says:

You haven’t seen Baywatch Nights?

Dude, you know what you need to do. Right now.

6. Freud says:

I want to play a city building game as a Malkavian.

7. draglikepull says:

The part of this expansion that I’m really looking forward to is proper bike paths. One thing I didn’t like about the vanilla game was that everything had to be built along roads, so you couldn’t create things like university campuses or big parks or anything of that nature.

• nanophage says:

You could build paths without attached roads. I built many boardwalks (sort of) and school tracks during my time as a fake city planner.

• nanophage says:

Oh sorry I misunderstood your post. You’re talking about actual buildings and such. In that case yeah I agree. I wish they also had a building upgrade system like in the last sim city but more free form and not just attachable parts. It would be neat to lay out additional buildings for upgrades.

8. darkside says:

this kind of thing is exactly what modders have been waiting for. It comes right after turning lanes (is that what they’re called?). The point being, the mod support for this is already mind-blowing.

I, for one, salivate with anticipation.