Trine 3 Charges, Swings, Levitates Out Of Early Access

Early Access does mute the excitement of a new release for me. After the delights of Trine and its sequel, I should be bouncing off the wall with glee at the release of Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power [official site]. Instead, after four months on Steam Early Access, my response is a muttered “Oh hey! I guess I should buy that now.” Maybe I have become the sort of hype-driven monster I swore I’d never be.

Either way, hey! Trine 3 is now properly out to continue the adventures of a thief, wizard and knight for your puzzle-platforming pleasure.

Trine 3 takes the series out of its 2D perspective with a little depth. When Marsh played the Early Access slice, he wasn’t entirely sold on what it added. Me, I’d be perfectly happy with more conjuring, grappling hook swinging, and monster-slaying, but in retrospect perhaps Trine 2 was a touch formulaic. The game’s had another four months of work on it since then, too, so maybe the 3D side has improved.

Trine is out for Windows, Mac, and Linux from Steam, GOG, and the Humble Store (who offered both a Steam key and a DRM-free version). It’ll cost £15.99/21,99€/$21.99 normally, but has a 10% launch discount for the first week making it £14.39.

Have a launch trailer:

1. zxcasdqwecat says:

“Maybe I have become the sort of hype-driven monster I swore I’d never be.”

We do talkdown threads down the forum and we have no mercy for games.

2. ran93r says:

There is something that I deeply admire in Trine, I have paid for various versions on various platforms but have never managed to play one through to completion. Will still pick this up mind you.

3. Freud says:

Having played through both the previous games, I feel like I’m all Trined out. There’s a limit to how varied you can make puzzles with these characters and those tools.

4. rushakoff says:

You would think so, but considering they added Z-depth to the entire game, not just the graphics, you might be surprised just how new and refreshing it feels.

5. OmNomNom says:

Great games, but don’t play them alone. They lack depth for that really. Don’t expect much replayability either

6. Zhivko Yakimov says:

Played the game some time – it is still admirably addicted, and the z-axis adds some challenge, at least initially. In its core, however, Trine retains similar mechanics. The visuals have improved, which is nice, but they could have tried to expand the heroes’ arsenal this time. Some replayability is offered through collecting some kind of triangular gems (an achievement if you get them all), some of which are quite out of the way. There are also side levels, not needed for the main story. Also, some levels have quite original art (the book level stands out). Apart from that, it’s mostly a time-killer. Still worth the money, in my opinion, and you definitely could do worse.