NVIDIA Cards To Get PS4-Style Remote Game-Sharing

it’s 2015: if you’re not streaming your game while you play it, you will be summarily asked to leave society. Don’t you dare try to play a game by yourself any more. Privacy is dead: everyone wants an audience, always and forever. Do you want to watch me shower? No? Well, how about watch me ineffectually flail at a pack of Nekkers in The Witcher 3? No? Well, how about you take remotely control and fight those Nekkers for me, to put everyone involved out of their misery. NVIDIA have, in theory, a way to make that happen.

Their GeForce Experience app has long had tools to record game footage or stream it to one of those Shield tablets no-one has, using your NVIDIA card to achieve this without too much of a performance hit, but it’s about to offer the option to stream your game to friends, or let them take control of it entirely, as well as allow remote split-screen co-op in certain titles.

The straight streaming-to-chums side of things sounds semi-redundant, given you can already do that with Steam, but it’s theoretically much more interesting on two other fronts. One is integrated Twitch and YouTube uploads, which may well take away some of the configuration pain required from tools such as OBS, as well as – sez marketing, anyway – minimising latency and what not. I don’t do a lot of streaming, but the idea that whenever I did I could just click a few big white buttons rather than stare at OBS for the first time in months and think ‘Oh god what I am supposed to do again no God why are you streaming Microsoft Word to YouTube’ is appealing, and POSSIBLY TO YOUR EVENTUAL BENEFIT, RPS READER. If you like listening to a tired Englishman muttering to himself, anyway.

The other thing is what they’re clumsily calling GameStream Co-Op, which is basically doing the PS4 Share thing but on PC. (Only if you have an NVIDIA card, though). This means that, all being well, your online chums can actually control the game for you if you’re struggling/tired/busy doing a jigsaw. Or they can watch and talk at you, if you prefer. I haven’t tried PS4 Share, but it sounds like a good thing for those moments when you’re struggling with a boss, or just if you don’t want your mate to get bored so you let them take over for a while. I’m tempted to play a top-difficulty XCOM 2 campaign with a friend in this way, actually.

Also mooted is the possibility of remotely-played, split-screen or shared-screen co-op games, in which only one person actually needs the game, then chums can join in remotely and control the other character. Apparently this’ll work in the likes of Trine 3, Gauntlet, FIFA 15, NBA 2K15 and Mortal Kombat Komplete. Probably not as good as everyone having their own copy of the game, but maybe you could use it to form a sort of co-operative so between you you can buy a greater variety of games.

This is all in theory, anyway: the thing’s not out yet, so I’m not presuming anything until we know how well it works in practice.

‘Early Access Beta’ – no TOO MANY BUZZWORDS IN ONE GO STOP IT – for this revamped GeForce Experience is due sometime next month. You can keep an eye on availability here. Sadly this won’t work on AMD cards, although I imagine the Red team are investigating similar systems of their own. NVIDIA do say all this new streaming gubbins will work just fine on their new, entry-level GTX 950 card, but I don’t know myself if that’s a decent board. Hopefully Jeremy will be along soon to help with that.

Wisq says:

Integrated Twitch streaming isn’t new; that’s been around since around when Shadowplay was released. However, general consensus is to avoid it and continue using OBS or Xsplit instead, because the video quality sucks.

2. melnificent says:

So if you have windows 10 this would be a 3rd overlay for your games in addition to the xboxUI that you can’t remove easily and the steam overlay.

If you bought a uplay game via steam that’s 4 overlays.

• Awesomeclaw says:

One corner for notifications from each! If anyone else comes up with an overlay they might have to invent pentagonal screens.

• ninnyjams says:

Removing the Xbox UI stuff requires literally one checkbox being unchecked.

3. Baines says:

When stuff like uploading video directly from consoles was introduced as an idea, some game publishers wanted controls that would allow then to disable it for parts of (or even the entirety of) their games.

I wonder if some publishers will voice similar concerns to Nvidia, and whether Nvidia might try to comply if they did.

• DanMan says:

I’d be surprised. We’re on PC after all. No platform holder.

• Shmeghead says:

It’s a reasonable request, so I don’t see why not. Arkham Knight is the only game I’ve encountered that disables livestreaming (on my PS4, anyway) for stretches during big plot reveals. An alternative would be for developers to flag certain scenes, which the viewer could choose to be blacked out on his end if he’d rather avoid spoilers. Compulsory censorship seems silly as anyone who wants to ruin the surprise can Google it in three seconds.

4. Anarch says:

Story driven games are personal experiences for me, I can not play them with someone else around. I save them for when I am alone. This, or similar arrangements in technology is not for me and I believe there are better ways to socialize.

Harlander says:

Remote split-screen co-op?

Isn’t the point of split-screen co-op to allow you to co-op in the same place?

Co-op co-op co-op

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

It has every possibility to be horrible for the joining players since it’s games made for same-machine multiplayer without any compensation for delays etc. Every player but the host has to do two network link distances between input to feedback that might result in a lot of variable (the worst kind) input lag.

6. Jeht says:

To be fair, the NVIDIA Shield Android TV works quite well for streaming to the TV, as well as shoving all of your emulators onto for couch gaming with a decent wireless gamepad.

• Arthur ASCII says:

That’s great, but what about the constant microwave wireless transmissions? Maybe you don’t care about the cancer risk, but what about others in your household? Got any pets?

Don Reba says:

Do you want to watch me shower?

There is a special channel for shower streams, but barely anyone ever goes there!

8. Arthur ASCII says:

GeForce Experience… what a joke. I installed it once to try it… never again. Whenever I update/rollback a Nvidia driver now I *always* uncheck and opt-out of the “GeForce Experience” option. If it isn’t completely unnecessary bloatware garbage, then what is it again? And no thanks to the idea that “my computer” is soon to be everybody’s off-site computer streaming from the “cloud” to a basic user terminal at home. A user terminal that’s primary function is to track and log everything we do on it. A terminal we can’t even open or upgrade or see what’s inside. Similar to a sort of Sky or Apple i-TV decoder box. One may as well take the ultimate lazy option of actually watching someone else play a videogame on Twitch or Youtube. Sorry, but no sale. Ever.

Don Reba says:

What’s wrong with Geforce Experience? It checks for newer drivers and optimizes game settings, and doesn’t need to run in the background. Seems rather useful.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I don’t trust automated driver installations, sooner or later something will go wrong and it will translate in another angry Steam Forums post about stuff not working, i always uninstall properly and then clear all remaining traces ( which are still a reality ).

Much like i’ll never choose the option of upgrading the previous installation of something as broken as Windows instead of a fresh install.

Don Reba says:

It doesn’t do automatic installs, though (Windows Update does). It pops up a dialog that lets you choose options or cancel and install later. It’s just a more convenient way of checking for new drivers.

• DanMan says:

I read the privacy statement and decided not to install it.

Don Reba says:

The application collects data needed to recommend the correct driver update and optimal settings including hardware configuration, operating system, language, installed games, game settings, game usage, game performance, and current driver version. If a user is not signed into an NVIDIA account, this data is not personally identifiable.
        That doesn’t seem to be too bad. I’m already sharing this information with Steam. It’s nowhere near the level of Windows 10 giving away my private files to authorities without warrant.

9. DonGiovanni says: