Steamfont Prison Experiment: EverQuest II Prison Server

One novelty punishment for cheats and blaggards nowadays is to imprison them with their ilk, from Dota 2 matchmaking folks who leave games with their fellow quitters to Max Payne 3 pitting cheaters against fellow cads. Now EverQuest II is joining in on the fun with with an “experiment” in launching an entire prison server to permanently lock away ne’er-do-wells – and people who are curious about life on the inside.

A post on the EverQuest forums announces the creation of Dunder, a dedicated prison server for jerks. “Ultimately, players who are caught breaking our rules and disrupting EQ2 live server gameplay will be flagged for this server, and no others — ever,” a member of the dev team explains. “Characters on these accounts will be copied to Drunder (the “prison server”) and can never leave or transfer to another server.”

Once you’re in, that’s it for life. Harsh. Drunder players will receive no customer service, though as it requires a maintained membership to access, I suspect it’s more a funny way to make jerks quit the game than an actual place they expect people to continue to live and play in.

Between that and Fingered, it’s not been a good week for video game criminals. People will always romanticise the criminal life, though, so if you want in, you can request it.

“Rather than disrupt live servers in an attempt to join the ‘prison server,’ players can use our /petition system and ask to join Drunder. To be clear: You won’t be able to move individual characters to this server, while maintaining characters from the same account on another server. This is a ONE-WAY trip for an entire account forever.”

Probably not a move to make on a character you’ve had since 2004.

1. trn says:

Life imprisonment? I’m rarely a fan of ‘one strike’ punitive systems. What about the possibility of rehabilitation? Reform?

Is there anything stopping people creating a second account?

• Beanbee says:

Bah I say! To the colonies with the wretch and the un-begotten!

• lglethal says:

Ok come on be fair here – This is a subscription based game. There is nothing stopping someone who gets caught cheating from cancelling their subscription and then starting a new one. But they lose their character and all its progress that way, which basically means you start at the beginning again.

I dont know but that sounds like fair punishment to me. I dont play MMO’s but I know some friends who do, and they get pretty attached to their maxed out characters, so the threat of either losing your character or being relegated to a crap server for life, would probably keep them from going down the cheating route. So I say good on Everquest… Its certainly a novel solution.

• fenghuang says:

B..but, Brits got sent to Australia on a 1-way trip too.
      I know an Aussie friend whose great-grandfather was sent to Australia for stealing a goat and 2 chickens. He even had a cert for it.

• drinniol says:

Well it was either 20 years in soggy old Blighty or seven years in sun and surf. And once the seven years is up you could just drive off the Aborigines and stake a claim and become a landowner!

• lglethal says:

To paraphrase Bill Hicks (badly):
          So let me get this straight, we keep the shitty weather and shitty food, and they get sand, sunshine and lobsters the size of canoes? I’m Jack the Ripper. Wheres the boat?

• manny says:

A goat and 2 chickens is like 20K in modern dollars.

• Jane Doe says:

Where does it say that you get banforced on Drunder at your first offense?

2. Press X to Gary Busey says:

I hope you can get a dank theme and mount chandeliers there.

3. Turkey says:

Your punishment is to play more EverQuest 2.

4. KDR_11k says:

So is “Drunder” short for Down Under?

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Seems more like a combination of “dunce” and “blunder” to me, but your guess is as good as mine.

• jrodman says:

Drunkard and chunder?

• nearly says:

Dramatic thunder? I assume the header image is representative of playing on the server and the weather is always pleasantly atmospheric.