Reboot: Otherlands MMO Finally Drawing Near

Sci-fi novel series-turned-MMO Otherland [official site] has been stuck in limbo since 2010 when a release date came and went without so much as a faint rustling of tumbleweeds in the games media world. So what’s going on exactly?

After getting a second temporary release date back in 2012, which once again passed us all by, Otherland is going for a release date announcement hat-trick. It’s now scheduled to launch on Steam as an Early Access release on August 26th.

This comes after a shuffle behind-the-scenes in which the game’s original developer RealU passed the reigns over to a Polish studio by the name of Drago Entertainment. ReulU appear to now be defunct, with Drago left to reboot the game on the Unreal engine. They plan to release it properly in early 2016, following about six months in Early Access.

Based on the “cyberpunkian Lord of the Rings” book series by Tad Williams, Otherland is a mash-up abstract sci-fi visuals with more traditional fantasy MMO guff, as well as some entirely abstract things. Crazy whirling fly-through trailer details all this, below:

1. SupahSpankeh says:

Warning sign one: more than one dev studio

Warning sign two: little to no press.

Last and most critical warning sign: no gameplay footage.

• Werthead says:

There’s a reasonable amount of game footage in the video, it’s just fairly generic.

I like the premise and the idea, and the books certainly have a lot of imagination and scope, but this pretty much just looks like every other MMO ever. I hold out some hope for the more surreal and abstract ideas making it in, but that’s not much cop if it’s just more fetch quests and grinding against a different backdrop.

• geldonyetich says:

I didn’t really get enough out of the trailer to adequately fathom the gameplay.

Seems there’s monsters and swingy weapons, but is it a traditional play like World of Warcraft or a more actiony game like Wildstar?

How’s the implementation? Kludgy novice developer hack, or silky smooth design well-executed?

Is it fun?

Suffice to say, this cyberspace virtual reality setting has my interest piqued, but there’s a few too many variables to get excited yet.

• Minglefingler says:

It would be a pleasant surprise if this was more than the tab targetting, rotation spamming, kill ten lizard monkeys to complete a question mark standard. It’s fine for people that like that sort of thing but I find it a terrifically hollow experience these days.

• MollyThomas says:

my best friend’s mother makes $98 /hour on the internet . She has been unemployed for 9 months but last month her payment was $19743 just working on the internet for a few hours. hop over to here… http://www.wallstreet34.com

• Anti-Skub says:

Warning Sign Three: Trailer is just random clips of the game edited together with meaningless, generic phrases with no voice over and not even an attempt to set up a plot.

• malkav11 says:

I’d say missing your original release date by 6 years is a pretty significant warning sign too.

• jonahcutter says:

There’s gameplay footage. And it’s been conveniently chopped up into sub-one-second, bite-sized chunks.

2. Mr. Anderson says:

Loved the books and would love to play this. Hopefully they don’t screw it up… but they probably will *sigh*

• Aetylus says:

Yeah, the books are almost perfect source material for an interesting MMORPG. Too bad they missed the MMORPG window by a decade or so.

3. AdamDenton says:

Crickey, it’s all doom and gloom in these comments isn’t it! This game has been in development hell for the longest time, and I for one am just happy that it’s actually going to see the light of day. There’s too few true sci-fi based MMOs.

4. Tukuturi says:

Loved the books, but Second Life pretty much was the Otherland MMO, and we all know how that turned out.

Phasma Felis says:

Nonono, Second Life was the Metaverse MMO. Totally different!

Phasma Felis says:

So is this supposed to be the game from the books, or a game about the game from the books? Because my doctor said that if I don’t seriously cut back on my meta intake, I might have to get my irony gland removed.

Harlander says:

Yes, heavy meta poisoning can have pretty nasty consequences

6. skittles says:

This reminds me a little too much of an MMO back many many years ago named S.E.E.D. At least I think it was, can’t find anything online anymore. Was a sci-fi co-operative social MMO with some interesting ideas from a small studio in Europe. Promised many dates, finally released an ‘Early Access’ look at it. And development promptly crashed a few weeks later.

7. KindredPhantom says:

It reminds me some of the original Guild Wars – like a sci-fi version.

I won a poster and a beta key for this game a few years back, before the original developers went under. I wonder if the new developers will honour the beta key promise, I still have the poster.