Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Has New Game Plus Mode

Turn your mind back to Gamescom earlier in the month – it was via a Twitch stream that Eidos Montreal announced a few more details on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided [official site]. The game, they said, would get a New Game Plus Mode, which refers to a feature that was previously seen in the Director’s Cut version of Human Revolution back in 2013. So here we go, a trailer recapping all the info you likely missed at the start of August while you were ogling German language conferences and the sauerkraut of their countrymen.

Essentially, the mode makes it possible to replay the story once the game is over while keeping previously-acquired augmentations. Speaking from Twitter accounts on high, the developers added that they’re looking into the possibility of scaling enemies as the game progresses so that they’re tougher down the line.

Mankind Divided, which was announced at E3 this year, sees Adam joining a branch of Interpol as a double agent feeding information to plucky hacktivists who aren’t too keen on the Illuminati. Oh Adam! Couldn’t you just get a job at a bank like your mother wanted?

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is slated to hit sometime early next year.

1. jj2112 says:

I’d prefer that they offered a harder setting from the beginning. Revolution was quite easy even on the hardset setting.

• MollyThomas says:

my best friend’s mother makes $98 /hour on the internet . She has been unemployed for 9 months but last month her payment was $19743 just working on the internet for a few hours. hop over to here… http://www.wallstreet34.com

2. lglethal says:

Please dont have scaling enemies. It just doesnt make sense from a realism perspective, which Deus Ex normally tries to maintain. People dont gain added resistance to bullets as they “level up”.

The three levels of enemies in DX:HR worked because they represented the type of body armor the people were wearing, which was also shown in their models. So in DX:MD sure, go ahead and have more enemy types if you want, but dont scale them and remove the realism…

• Asurmen says:

Without scaling enemies, what’s the point of New Game Plus?

• Arkayjiya says:

If there is no point in doing NG+ without level scaling then they shouldn’t do NG+ at all.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

The point of NG+ would be what the point of NG+ has always been: to return to a game you love without having to grind/wait for the really fun gear, and futz around with different styles of play.

• Asurmen says:

And they’ve more or less always A) kept what you had before so no playing around with different styles without a respec option and B) increased difficultly to cope with your increased capabilities at different parts of the game.

In a non-sandbox game there’s no point with scaling enemies

• Asurmen says:

In a non-sandbox game there’s no point without scaling enemies

• Xzi says:

I mean, the more augmented they are, the more bullet resistant they are. So your real issue is modding the visuals of enemies to add a bit more metal as you increase the difficulty.

• lglethal says:

No you guys have misunderstood, scaling between the regular mode and the New Game Plus mode is fine, but what is specifically mentioned in the article is scaling during the game , thats what I do not want.
        Upping everyone from the start of a New Game Plus is fine, but dont allow me to kill a merc at the start of the game in 1 bullet, and then have the same merc need 10 at the end of the game.

• lglethal says:

Annoyingly the quote I was trying to insert there didnt work. But it says specifically in the article “scaling enemies as the game progresses”. That is not scaling between normal game and New Game Plus, that’s scaling within the game which I disagree with.

• Asurmen says:

While I understand your argument better now, I don’t get the realism aspect. What’s unrealistic about tougher enemies as you go through? They have more armour or more/better augs. That problem solved.

It’s more of a gameplay issue in that you never feel more powerful, although it is far easier for them to balance through scaling so I can see the appeal for them.

• xlnc says:

rather than having enemys that just become bullet sponges could we not have enemys with bettter aim or increased intelligance etc

• Shazbut says:

I agree. I really hope they don’t do this. It’s something that always bugs me and, as you say, was well avoided in DE:HR

3. Pulstar says:

Wait a minute.. I did ask for this!

4. JFS says:

Mmhhh, sauerkraut jokes.

5. ResonanceCascade says:

I mean, isn’t “we’re looking into it” just developer speak for “no?” I’m now 99% sure the game will not have level scaling. What a relief.

6. fupjack says:

I’ve started replaying Deus Ex twice, to experience the environment (atmosphere? sense of place?) again, but didn’t get far because the initial grind was too annoying after having gone through the endgame progression. So, yeah, this New Game+ sounds like a good idea.

• Frank says:

Grind? So what, you were doing fetch quests ‘n’ shit to increase your XP & cash before advancing the story? I think you were playing a different game.

gritz says:

Hey does anyone know if there’s a mod for DXHR that patches out the XP penalty for not playing 100% non-lethal?

8. Pizzacheeks McFroogleburgher says:

Shame they’ve carried on with Jensen… A goatee, gelled hair, ubermodel poses and flamboyant special moves… None of that in the first game.. We have dress down Fridays at my work. Hes the guy who’d come in wearing leather trousers, gold shoes and shades.

Harlander says:

No shirt?

• TheAngriestHobo says:

I’ve never been a big fan of Jensen, because, as you say, it feels like Eidos is trying way too hard to make him omglikethecoolestguyever. Even more annoying than his flamboyant clothes, though, is the dialogue/voice acting associated with him. He has no expression in his voice whatsoever; everything is delivered in the same gravelly, slightly-annoyed tone.

Don’t get me wrong, the games are brilliant, but I don’t get why Eidos is so attached to such a flavourless character.