Grandia II Revamped & Rereleased In Anniversary Edition

As far as I can see, the only mention on RPS of vintage JRPG Grandia II is in an interview with the makers of Child of Light. I can’t say I’ve played it myself, but I have heard folks talk warmly about it. It you missed it back during the early noughties, hey, don’t worry – that port was a little wonky anyway, and you can catch it now.

Game Arts’ RPG has now returned as Grandia II: Anniversary Edition [official site], tarted up a little for modern PCs and whatnot.

Publishers GungHo Online Entertainment explain that the Anniversary Edition brings:

“PC rendering improvements (anti-aliasing)
PC resolution and aspect ratio support
Enhancements to textures, lighting, and shadows
Shadow and lighting improvements
Gamepad/controller support (along with keyboard)
New difficulty level (Hard Mode)
Steam trading cards and achievements
Option to toggle between English or original Japanese voices”

Aye, sure, those are good things to have in an updated version. It doesn’t look massively different, but this is only an update, not a remake, so cool your jets.

Grandia II is out on Windows through Steam for £11.24, thanks to a 25% launch week discount, but only £9.69 through GOG. Only you know how much you value Steam achievements and trading cards.

1. KDR_11k says:

Hard mode? It really needed that, after I finished the game I had to ask a friend what happens when you lose because I didn’t lose a single time. And that’s without any fancy secret gear, tricks or even knowing to abuse that super claw attack that apparently stunlocks bosses.

2. Clement says:

I bought a Dreamcast when they announced they were being discontinued just to play this and Skies of Arcadia. I was not disappointed in either.

I haven’t thought about this game in years and this announcement put a smile on my face.

3. Clement says:

In the US, this seems to be the same price on Steam and GOG.

And you’re damn right about Steam achievements and trading cards. You know me so well; it’s scary.

4. joshg253 says:

$14.99 on both sites in ‘Murica.

5. Kestrel says:

Sold! Hot damn I loved this game.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Good. Now maybe more people around here will realize how annoying Jennifer Hale’s voice is.

“We have to work, even, harder!”
    “We have to work, even, harder!”
    “We have to work, even, harder!”
    “We have to work, even, harder!”

Forever and ever and ever and ever…

7. Eight Rooks says:

I too have some very fond memories of this and Skies of Arcadia – Grandia II had the better battle system by far, and some really nice art design for the time, though even back then I could tell full well the plot was dumb, walking headlong into half the JRPG cliches going. Nice to see it pop up again, though, and I may well grab it on GOG to add to the Falcom games I picked up in the last sale.

8. SomeDuder says:

The story was cliché as fuck, but the music was great and the combat system kept you engaged even tho it’s turn-based. Definately a nostalgia-induced insta-buy for me.

• cauldron says:

Oh yes, clichés upon clichés… And the most naive characters I’ve ever seen…
      The combat system was nice though, even if too much easy. The only bit of difficulty I met was with demons which were on one on the very few optionnal quests.

9. ansionnach says:

Had great fun with this on the Dreamcast. As others have said, the plot isn’t up to much, but the battle system and music are great. Everything moves along at a fair pace and it doesn’t take itself too seriously. DC version had a bug that not many would have seen – the voice acting and graphics would go out of sync during long scenes when using the VGA box, meaning they would sometimes end before you heard everything. VGA version looked nice and crisp, not too much different than the screenshot above.

The fun battle system is a progression of the one in the Lunar games, I think. It was also mercifully fast and had decent music (only played the Mega-CD versions but never finished them). I’d roughly associate it with Phantasy Star IV on the Mega Drive for its fun, fast battles (although, the systems are nothing alike) and not being up its own arse like a lot of JRPGs. PSIV is way better, though.

Skies of Arcadia on the DC was superb. Battles were quite slow and repeated random battles could put you into a coma. The Euro release was 50Hz-only with no VGA box support, making everything even slower than it should have been.

10. skyturnedred says:

Just so you know, the game is locked at 30 fps. Couldn’t really say why, nor do I know if it even matters in a game like this.

11. icemann says:

Played the ps2 back in the early 00s. Pretty good game overall. First games better, but this was still pretty good. Story wasn’t bad either.

12. LordBilisknir says:

So if this works do you think there is any chance of Skies of Arcadia getting the same treatment? (I can but dream!)

13. Chaoslord AJ says:

Sadly undermentioned game here. Played it over and over on the broken first PC emulation.
    Lots of funny moments like the one in the screenshot…

14. vorador says:

I really enjoyed this one a lot. The battle system was great, and while the plot wasn’t anything to write home about it managed not to ruin an otherwise great game.

Seeing the video, people still don’t have mouths. It always irked me on the original. Too bad.