Weird Weird West: New Hard West Gameplay Video

“Think X-Com combat with Heroes of Might and Magic world map,” is the pitch that saw Hard West [official site] successfully crowdfunded in 2014, and it sounds just as great one year later – and looks it too.

With the turn-based tactical action game slated for release this autumn, developers Creative Forge Games have put together an eleven-minute commentated gameplay trailer showing a bank robbery. Given that Hard West is set not in the plain old Wild West but the supernatural Weird West, the robbery has a few complications. Watch:

Not bad that, is it? I especially like the ability to ricochet shots into enemies behind cover. For folks who can’t watch that right now, I’ll recap a little.

The mission, which I’d speculate is from relatively early on, sees a small squad out to rob a bank. Enemies aren’t hostile at first, though they might pull a gun if you act suspiciously. Holding someone at gunpoint so you can free a chap named Childeater seems a hostile first step. Having scouted the area and got everyone into position, they go hot. It looks like fairly standard XCOM-y action, with cover, range reductions, and special attacks like ricochets and fanning a spray of bullets. It’s pretty neat. A few bits of the environment can be used to create cover too, like opening storm doors.

And then the demons warp in, turning the sleepy town a touch nightmarish.

It’s all tied up in a story of damnation and redemption in a Weird West of gunslingers, demons, and half-dead men. Supposedly there are difficult decisions and consequences and whatnot. I do like a nice bit of Weird West – I still wish I’d played Deadlands and especially its collectible card game when I had friends who were into it.

Hard West is due on Windows this autumn.

1. Zenicetus says:

Looks interesting. Kudos for letting the player rotate the playing field to assess the tactical situation. That’s something I miss in PoE and Shadowrun. The one-shot kills for lower-level opponents look suitably XCOM-ish, as long as your own guys are at a similar risk if you screw up.

Graphic style is nice, although those big shield icons over your team and the enemies are a bit distracting. Anyway, I’m a sucker for anything remotely Wild West in theme, even if it has to have Demons with rifles (?). So I’ll keep an eye on this one.

• wraithgr says:

Agreed on the big floaty shields, hope they can be turned off/toned down somehow!

2. wraithgr says:

This looks nice… I always thought the “old west” type settings would be a good backdrop for a tactical game… Plenty of material for a good variety of classes, especially if you add “magic” types, and still plausible to have a mix of ranged/melee builds…

3. Relani says:

Not really my type of game, but combat looks intense and fun. I really like the one-hit-kill sorta style. I think it makes planning/tactical considerations much more important.

teije says:

Looks very interesting – presses all the right buttons for me. Somehow missed this one entirely during the KS, so thanks for the heads-up!

5. TehK says:

‚ÄúThink X-Com combat with Heroes of Might and Magic world map” and a Fantasy-Western background? Erm… erm… YES, PLEASE!

Why have I not heard from this game before? Now I’m really hoping this’ll be good.

6. king0zymandias says:

They need to add a mexican standoff mechanics. They absolutely must. Maybe when multiple dudes get into a situation where they are standing without cover facing each other, within a certain range, they get into a Mexican standoff. And in this situation if anyone tries to move from their position the other parties get a free shot at him without AP cost and regardless of whose turn it is. On the other hand If someone shoots in the standoff then everyone else in the standoff also shoots simultaneously. Who hits and who misses is calculated using normal hit-chance calculations and the associated dice roll.

Just an idea off the top of my head. I’m sure there are even better ways of implementing a mexican standoff mechanics. On a completely unrelated note, while the supernatural stuff isn’t a deal breaker for me, I really really wish they would let me play in a world inspired by Sergio Leone films.

• Arglebargle says:

I always wanted to play the Woody Strode character.

‘We seem to have brought one horse too few.’
      ‘No, you brought two horses too many.’

• hungrycookpot says:

The thematic problem with mechanics like this in a lot of tactical games I’ve played is that it doesn’t build the stress that you see in movie-standoffs, because every player on the field is a bulletsponge and can eat a stray shot or two. IMO it would fit the western theme perfectly to try and have the damage being a little bit more seriously depicted and give leeway using missed shots. When you’re in a dusty little border town, and you’re a days ride away from a doctor who still doesn’t know what antiseptics are, a bullet in the gut gives you less than even odds of survival really.

7. NukeStormMachine says:

This game looks good!

Looks like it will be released on OSX and Linux too by the way.

8. avtrspirit says:

That title. Probably what Kanye would have named his son.

9. racccoon says:

Looks alright, But we really a…
    WILD WEST MMO
    with everything you could possibly do it.
    Now why hasn’t it been done?
    who the heck knows.
    I’m just as baffled as you are.

• jonahcutter says:

Read Dead Online. RDO. Rockstar’s first mmo.

It has the beloved game-series lineage (a lineage PC players have always clamored for access to). It has the memorable acronym. It has the unused-in-an-mmo setting. It has the uber-wealthy studio to do exactly what they want ,and still attempt a subscription model.

It has it all.

• ryth says:

I’d settle just for red dead redemption ported to PC. Such a fantastic game, with such awful awful controls on console.

10. Raoul Duke says:

Sounds great right up until the point where they spoil it with supernatural nonsense.

A straight up XCOM-style game set in the Old West would be superb.

• vorador says:

Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive?

Not exactly what you want, but likely the nearest thing.

11. Henas says:

Colour me intrigued. The Wild West is one of the most underutilised settings in gaming, and I love me some X-Com inspired TBS.

I was initially getting a Desperatos vibe from this, I did enjoy that western Commandos ripoff.

Supernatural stuff I could take it or leave it depending on its implementation. I would love a game where you lead a team of bandits or lawmen in XCOM style assignments to either rob banks, trains etc or stop them as the law, with the associated ‘strategic layer’ of promoting, skills and equipment. Maybe horses are a valuable commodity with different stats too, maybe you could build a stagecoach with a Gatling gun on it…

12. muelnet says:

This game isn’t a western game. It’s X Com with demons and a western coat of paint. Nothing about that video showed me that the writers had any knowledge of the themes or ideas that make Westerns so enticing. They seem to know what makes an X Com game enticing, and as an X Com game it looks pretty good. But as a western it looks boring as shit.

13. xsikal says:

I totally forgot I kickstarted this.

Cool. Cool cool cool.

14. Bagpuss says:

“Hard West is due on Windows this autumn.”

PC, MAC and LINUX.

Why did you specifically single out Windows, when it wasn’t specifically mentioned?

15. BGLM says:

If you’re still interested in a Deadlands card game, AEG have a newer living/expandable card game in the Deadlands universe called Doomtown: Reloaded, which I’d thoroughly recommend. Quinns did a couple of articles on SUSD about it-

link to shutupandsitdown.com