Let’s Rock: Mega Man Legacy Collection Released

I was a little dismissive when Capcom announced the Mega Man Legacy Collection during E3 in June, thinking that the bundle of Mega Man 1-6 would be the usual slapdash retro collection with some ugly graphics filters on top. Oh, what a terrible cynic I was! It actually seems a fairly loving attempt to preserve them, and ‘porting’ studio Digital Eclipse’s first crack at the video games equivalent of “scanning a film in 4K” to create a print usable for the ages. It’s complicated. I’ll explain.

You can see for yourself how it’s turned out, as the Mega Man Legacy Collection last night launched on Steam, priced at £11.99.

Capcom and Digital Eclipse get into it in a lengthy interview on USgamer. The collection’s not simply running Mega Man in a NES emulator, more porting Mega Man to the Eclipse Engine, a stable base which can then be ported to other platforms, current and future. Digital Eclipse’s Frank Cifaldi explains:

“We set up our Eclipse Engine, and we set up hardware simulation modules, and we convert using source elements provided by the publisher, — their original game to our format. So you have Mega Man running in our hardware module within the Eclipse Engine. The idea being, once it works in Eclipse, we forward Eclipse somewhere else, and it just works, for the most part.”

They’re careful about preserving the games in their original form, though you can stretch the screen and all that if you want to be a monster. Along with the original games, it has a virtual library of high-res art work and info from all over the place, and a new Challenge Mode for folks to prove their Mega chops.

That has leaderboards with video replays, so folks can compete to be the very best at, say, the Yellow Devil fight (yes, the pause glitch still works).

[Disclosure: oh hey, I didn’t know Frank was working on this! I know him a bit; we visited an amazing Steve Purcell exhibition at the Cartoon Art Museum together.]

1. Alamech says:

Odd timing, do they want to cut the ground from under Mighty No.9’s feet?

• dethtoll says:

• Low Life says:

Mighty No. 9’s developers seem to be handling that quite well by themselves already.

• Turkey says:

Wouldn’t that be a little late, seeing as most of the people who want MN9 have already paid for it?

2. HamsterExAstris says:

I don’t know if it’s the ultimate silver bullet solution for making sure games are preserved forever, but I don’t think anyone’s taken that particular approach.

Obviously someone needs to acquaint themselves with Infocom’s text adventures.

3. Toupee says:

Because I am a huge sucker for classic Mega Man games I purchased this the day I heard about it (today, launch day). So far it’s totally met my simple expectations by A: launching quickly and getting into the games quickly and with intuitive, not-annoying menus — and controller support from the get-go B: being completely unobtrusive when it comes to actually playing the games C: preserving what I assume but am not 100% sure are the original spots of slowdown and artifacts like that…

I know I can (and do) play these games on emulators and have been for years, but hopefully a purchase will entice Capcom to bring the rest of the MM games, like MM9 and 10, to Steam!!

• Toupee says:

And my purchasing it was also a nice reason to get my roommates to actually play Mega Man with me. We got really far in Mega Man 1 on our first go, hooting and hollering at the successes and screaming in pain at the failures. It really is classic NES gaming and it’s great.