Memories & Murderbots: Metal Gear Solid V Final Trailer

If you want to go in cold when Metal Gear Solid V [official site] lands next week, you probably shouldn’t watch this brand new ‘launch’ trailer. In fact, you probably shouldn’t even go anywhere near the discussion around it because as soon as I clicked through to Konami’s YouTube page, I saw speculation and rumours that have now wormed into my brain. Of course, the whole thing might be a bait and switch, designed to provoke certain trains of thought so that the game can happily derail them as it twists and turns like a weird combination of M. Night Shyamalan and an Olympic high-diver.

Is it possible to go in cold at this stage though? We’re all red hot, if we’re interested in the slightest. It’s below of you want it – a spectacular five minute burst of memories, melancholy and military murderbots.

Alice is shouting: “holy heck that Metal Gear. Did you see its SWORDWHIP.” I did see its swordwhip. “Holy heck” is about right.

We’re not going to unpack all of the pre-release rumours now, mostly because I’m ill-equipped to do so, but we will have some authoritative words on why this is a very exciting thing indeed coming later this week. And then a final judgement on the game itself as soon as possible after release. It’s easy to forget, when a game’s launch is engineered as an event, that there’s something to play at the back of it all. If the quality of the Ground Zeroes port carries through to The Phantom Pain, we should be in for a treat.

Whenever I think I’m immune to the bizarre bombast of Kojima’s creations, I will remember this moment. And then I’ll whisper, “holy heck. That certainly is a swordwhip.”

1. dorobo says:

Watched ending part. Cool mech/robot but his sword thingy is mighty weird.

• dahools says:

As is that giant cannon where its robothood should be. Couldn’t they of positioned that elsewhere on it. Kinda doesn’t seem as scary fumbling through the rocks pitching a tent.

• EhexT says:

That’s a Zone of the Enders (also a Kojima project) reference. The Cockpit on those Mecha was exactly where you’d expect it to be from the name.

• CaidKean says:

There’s also the fact that it’s based on ZEKE which is based on REX which had a cannon in it’s crotch. It was just less obvious since none of them were humanoid in design.

2. Luke Nukem says:

For someone who has never played a Metal Gear Solid game, and only has a PC, is there any point in getting excited?

• EhexT says:

Would you like to play an incredibly polished (seemingly perfectly ported) open world stealth/action game with a ludicrous amount of pointless detail and a super weird story?
      Unless Kojima is tricking the world – which is an actual possibility, he’s done it before – that’s what this is going to be.

• Jericho says:

Have you played and enjoyed any of the Splinter Cell games, or Alpha Protocol, Sniper Elite (especially V3), or Hitman but also wanted the game to be more open world-ish and have tons of insane sci-fi blended with ’70s and ’80s pop culture? Then it seems that MGS5: The Phantom Pain might be just up your alley, even if you know nothing of the “plot” of the previous games. Playing Ground Zeroes might be a good idea, but from what I’ve seen even what little plot is in that is summed up at the beginning of The Phantom Pain.

• Synesthesia says:

Dude. Dude.

If you have the chance, buy a PS3 for cheap and play at least snake eater. 1, 2 and 4 are a treat too, but not as great. A lot would envy your position.

• Perry Noid says:

• Raoul Duke says:

Yes. I am a PC-centric gamer with a huge about of skepticism about these mega-franchises, but MGS4 was superb even on PS3, and Ground Zeroes is one of the best bits of PC gaming I’ve experienced in years. While I love me some indie games, there’s nothing quite like a super well made big budget game – and Metal Gear has the intelligent gameplay to go with it, for a change.

3. Jericho says:

The musical cues in that trailer just about brought me to tears. This 25+ year journey is finally coming to a close. :)

4. tobecooper says:

There is no boxed version for PC, right?
    Only digital for 60 eurobucks? :(

• TheOx129 says:

The cheapest I’ve found it is for £28 from Funstock Digital: it’s 20% off to begin with right now, and you can take off another 30% with the voucher AUG-COUPMAIL-PRE30.

Apparently, the keys they sell are good worldwide with the exception of Japan.

5. Relani says:

I’m sorry, I just can’t get excited for this. I’ve played all the Metal Gear games except the vita one. I haven’t played that new 50 dollar demo travesty, so I’m sure I’ll be corrected on things.

Yeah, I know it’s open-world-ish or whatever, but if previous games are any indication, I imagine it will be 50% percent boring as all hell cutscenes/cinematics with a terribly convoluted and nonsensical plot filled with “reveals” that are only meaningful to you if you remember some trivial minutiae from games made over a decade ago. And then apologists will write all kinds of articles (see: Rich Stanton, Eurogamer) about how the writing is really supposed to be nonsensical because postmodernism, subverting gamer expectations, fourth wall breaking, etc etc.

I didn’t even find the stealth/gameplay mechanics in 4 (which were generally praised) to be all that good. I felt like I had to do a lot of crawling to keep my stealth meter up; then I’d crawl over some wonky patch of ground that’s textured exactly the same but drops the stealth meter to 20 percent instantly and alerts the guards. And there were other annoying bits (like Snake having to stand up to descend a six inch ledge instead of just crawling through). It ended up being faster to just go on a murder spree and kill all the guards every time.

I think it would be cool if this game really did turn out to be different and really groundbreaking, but given previous evidence, I doubt it.

Anyway, Snake eater was great though :)

• spacedyemeerkat says:

I felt like I died of boredom playing MGS4. The interminable cut-scenes being chief among the reasons why (although I don’t recall the game part being that absorbing, either).

• HothMonster says:

I’m sure there will still be plenty of cutscenes but it won’t be as bad as 4 was. They moved the majority of exposition to cassette tapes you collect. You will be given them, find them or get them for completing certain tasks. These can be played from the menu and listened to while you are in game.

I’m sure the plot will be full of weird nonsense though just hopefully it will be weird background nonsense while I enjoy the game instead of minimovies in the middle of my gameplay.

• Gibush says:

Oh, how this nonsense snowballs. $50 demo? It wasn’t $50.

Lucky for you, anyway, it is apparently nowhere near 50% convoluted cutscenes. It looks like the polar opposite of MGS4 in that regard.

• BlackMageSK says:

According to current reviews at least, other than the intro cut scene all other cut scenes are only a minute or two in length and a lot of the long winded nonsensical exposition is left to tapes you listen to whenever. So there’s that at least.

• Psychomorph says:

Heh, I only watched a playthrough of MGS4 on YT and I found gameplay to be so dull, that I enjoyed the cutscenes more.

I was never impressed by the gameplay of the MGS series (the fulton is one of the worst features yet), Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is FAR superior. So for me the MGS games were always films with crappy gameplays inbetween…

6. Medit8tor says:

Right in the feels…

7. Timbrelaine says:

Does MGS take itself really seriously, or does it not take itself seriously at all? I’ve played three games in the series and I still don’t know.

8. The_Greg says:

Absolutely can’t wait.

9. Raoul Duke says:

That music and font selection was truly dismal. More like a Mexican soap opera, less like an epic game. Somehow this is the worst trailer yet for this game.

I also hope we’re not going to have to spend 30 hours of the game with a distracting and painful looking piece of metal stuck in Snake’s head as a deep and meaningful metaphorical half devil horn. We get it. Such symbolism, much wow. Now take it out so I don’t have to wince every three seconds please.

Harlander says:

I’ve heard not only does it stay there, it gets bigger, like some hideous-injury-based version of Pinocchio’s nose.