Oregon Trails And Fury Roads: Skyshine’s Bedlam Launches Next Month

Skyshine’s Bedlam [official site] is the hybrid offspring of XCOM, The Banner Saga, FTL, Mad Max, The Oregon Trail and Judge Dredd that you always knew you wanted, but never thought you’d get. I’ve already spent several hundred words describing the beauty of its ruined America, which is criss-crossed with tactical combat and bizarre encounters. It’s a game in which you can manage the resources of a giant biological ‘vehicle’ as it slithers across the landscape, searching for fuel, guns and glory. I require its presence in my life as soon as possible and the release date has now been confirmed. September 17th. Trailer below.

“I was sold on Bedlam after about a minute in its company.” I wrote that, a few days after seeing the game over in Germany at Gamescom. Rather than reflecting on the fact that Gamescom feels like it took place in a different lifetime and then pondering the brevity of life, I’m going to recommend that you read my preview and Alec’s interview.

We’ll scrutinise more closely as soon as possible but I already have a feeling Bedlam is going to be one of the highlights in a very promising September; a month that begins with Metal Gear and Mad Max, and manages to pack in Sword Coast Legends and SOMA along the way. Delicious.

1. Riaktion says:

Has this on pre-order since your write up on it, and ironically devoured a few videos of the game on YouTube last night whilst doing chores.

This game looks genuinely great and really looking forward to it. Great to have a release date now instead of “Fall 2015” as it was before.

Looking forward to giving it a try (on Easy probably), thanks for making me aware of it RPS!

2. trn says:

Looks good. And this is a full, legit release? No Early Access or anything? Fantastic!

3. AriochRN says:

I KS pledged this because it reminded me of 2000ADs Hell Trekkers & the Dredd Cursed Earth stories. It seems to look more splendid every time another snippet is released. I wish Rebellion was churning out games like this for their 2000AD characters, instead of zombie Nazi things.

• Rizlar says:

It looks so much more 2000AD than I previously realised. Muties and robots and marauders wrapped up in zarjaz artwork and tactical combat, yes please!

• slerbal says:

I totally agree. This screams Cursed Earth in all the right ways. If only Rebellion would actually make some interesting games with all the wonderful 2000AD settings and stories.

I think I might even preorder this one.

4. NonCavemanDan says:

Taking bets on Aztec City being a utopia because of [Insert Dark And Terrible Secret Here] that you ironically discover in the end cutscene!
    Love the aesthetic that it gives off. Really interested to see how it works in practice.

• JFS says:

Anything else would be a surprise. Although the game does look quite vibrant, so maybe no excess grimness.

• NonCavemanDan says:

Yeah, I’m only expecting something to the level of “It was Mars all along!” rather than “It’s made of people!”.

Phasma Felis says:

This looks like a load of fun, but I can’t quite get my head around why the inhabitants of a 10-story-high rolling fortress, bristling with guns, do their fighting exclusively on foot in squads of no more than six.

Also I think I read something to the effect that many battles have resource crates scattered around that you can pick up, but only if you get someone to them during the battle, because as soon as the last enemy falls, all your dudes go “DUH, WHAT IS BOX” and go home. This sounds infuriating and I hope I’m wrong.

6. Perry Noid says:

Your description describes the game to me perfectly as something I’ve always wanted but never thought would happen. This is a great year for games though I wonder how long it will take me to get to this wot with MGSV an all

7. Reapy says:

I am waiting to see how this game holds up over time, if one trip through the wasteland is going to be enough, or if you’ll want to keep coming back to find more. Looks like a really cool game from the few play throughs they showed, but I wonder if it’ll find the right footing in terms of its pacing and variety.

8. jonahcutter says:

Dammit. I’d forgotten Mad Max is coming out on the 1st. Now I’m reminded and all anticipatory.

9. IsaacHoz says:

That gas mask wearing fellow reminds me an awful lot of Starlord.