Ark: Survival Evolved Offers Sonic’s Loving Embrace

Do you ever wish Sonic the Hedgehog would take you into his arms, hold you tight, curl up into his spin dash and rocket across Green Hill Zone with you safely concealed in his embrace like a baby in the womb? Look, I’m just asking. Sega may have little interest in your dream, but Ark: Survival Evolved [official site] is thinking of you.

The dinosaur-riddled multiplayer survive ’em up’s latest update has added the extinct armadillo-like Doedicurus, which you can tame and ride and – get this – curl up inside as it rolls around at great speed. You can get a blue one too. Yeah, you’re welcome.

Ark developers Studio Wildcard explain:

“The Armadillo-like Doedicurus is a handy creature to have in your stables, as it can efficiently harvest stone on an industrial scale. It also has tremendous defensive protection via its hard shell, to which it will retreat if threatened. Most importantly, when riding it, you can enter ‘shell-charge’ mode and roll through the ARK as a hardened, nearly indestructible ball… similar to a certain blue rodent! This ability is great for rapidly closing the distance towards enemies, or just plowing through them like a bowling ball, making the Doedicurus fun for the whole tribe.”

The update also added spray painting to quickly paint structures, along with hostile new flora to cultivate, ‘Plant Species X’, which will fling stinging spores at enemies. Anyway, look at these Sonics:

If you dream of a special friendship with Sonic, by the way, Arkane Kids’ surreal Sonic Dreams Collection may give you want you want – plus a few nightmares on top.

1. It's not me it's you says:

Man I love this game. Been playing it with some friends since a few weeks after release and we’re still keen. Helps that our server is apparently filled with nice and pleasant people.

It’s almost inconceivable it took this long to create a game of survival + dinosaurs that doesn’t suck, especially for how many goes people have had at it, but it seems they cracked it at last.

2. Megarlin says:

The shell-charge mode looks really painful to the person riding it.

• Kefren says:

Yes – they don’t get inside it, the thing actually rolls into a ball and rolls with the rider on the outside. He’d be crushed to a pancake. Not the most practical choice.

• Alice O'Connor says:

I’m pretty sure they’re on the inside. The saddles are empty, and watch for the rider’s feet: link to gfycat.com

Qazinsky says:

Even if they are on the inside, the size of the character and the size of the dinosaur kind of points to crushing either way.

• Kefren says:

Yes, saw that in the video Alice, but the transition (0:17) was instantaneous with no opportunity for the rider to get inside – the BallyDino just rolled up. I was poking fun at the missing animations (since really it should stop, do a big cuddle, then roll up). You’re right about what’s supposed to happen, but since they missed out any transition it looked silly. Hey, I _want_ to see the rider get cuddled! I finished Vernor Vinge’s “Fire Upon The Deep” last night, which had cuddles between humans and intelligent dog packs, and even cuddles with frondy plant aliens riding pimped-up go-karts: I want to see that with the dinosaurs, but I was short-changed!

3. Merus says:

Yes, but I don’t know how to tell him. I’ve tried tickling him and everything.

4. Schaulustiger says:

Can anyone tell me how Ark holds up in singleplayer? I’m looking for an offline survival game and Ark seems like on of the best in that genre, but I don’t want to play it as a multiplayer game of any sorts (not even on a PvE server).

• Alissah says:

Ark single player is amazing :3.

It’s just like multiplayer, except that your game quits if you quit (unlike in multiplayer, where your character sleeps wherever you are, encouraging you to build a place to sleep and defenses to keep wild dinos away).

I first played through the game in single player, because of all the negative stories I heard about multiplayer, such as your dinos and you getting killed pretty much every single time you log off, and all your hard work being for nothing, and ark being more like a job instead of game, and that might be true, but only if you go into an official pvp server :P.

You can play single player, and its very easy, too. Simply click the play local button and you’re good to go. You cna even change “server” settings, and your friends can join you in singleplayer with their singleplayer character for some coop!

Also, Ark multiplayer has what any good survival game should have form the start, instead of waiting 2 years for the playerbase to die down: PvE servers.

There are PvE servers, where your only concern are wild dinos, instead of high level palyers that snipe you from across the map.

Me and a friend made such a server, and we got together a group of nice people form the forum (not nice= instant ban). If you want, you can add me on steam as: “Alissah ^__^” Or “Kat ^__^”, and I can invite you :D

• badmothergamer says:

I’ve put in over 130 hours and have yet to play anything but single player. The main issue with single player is you won’t be able to unlock all engrams but there are mods that will give you more engram points per level to get around this.

It’s tough though. A lot of the caves and creatures are set to a very high difficulty to encourage teamwork.

• zind says:

I bounced right off of single-player in about 30 minutes, and largely because I already knew what to expect from the game. I was going to build a hut, and tame some dinos, and then build a house, and then tame bigger dinos, and then build a fortress, and tame the biggest dinos, and then build weapons and armor and maybe even summon and kill the broodmother. I personally had no desire to go through the motions for that solo.

For my money, a friendly cooperative server is the best experience, and sucked me in immediately. Things can still be very difficult, but rather than it being a solo grind it’s a cooperative effort – instead of spending 5 hours gathering rocks, I can spend half an hour gathering rocks while hanging out with 9 other people! Tribes can compete to have the fanciest stuff, while doing things like sharing high-quality blueprints between each other.

• Schaulustiger says:

Thanks everyone.

I’m still not sure if I’ll enjoy Ark as a pure singleplayer game after what you’ve written. I think I’m going to at least wait for a sale until I try it out. Or maybe they’re going to do one of those free weekends one day.

5. Clavus says:

I always thought that Ark Survival Evolved would be right up my alley… and as fun as people say the game is, I just can’t see myself buying it. It just completely fails to sell me that fantasy it did in the original trailer. Things are just incredibly silly. The character creation doesn’t even try to be realistic. I’m sure it’s fun to fuck around in with some friends, but I’m looking for a more interesting experience.

… so here I am still waiting for that Jurassic Park-stranded survival game.