Bethesda Arrive On GOG With TES, Fallout, And Doom

Uhhh

Good Old Games, they used to call themselves, before they went a bit ‘Book of Revelation’ and became GOG. This is all very handy for my contrived wordplay, as GOG today added some good old games and revived something a bit apocalyptic.

Bethesda Softworks ventured onto GOG today for your DRM-free playing pleasure, bringing Doom, Quake, and vintage Elder Scrolls games including the download-o-premieres of spin-offs Battlespire and Redguard. The original Fallout games have returned to GOG too, after waiting out the rights apocalypse in a vault.

The initial offering of games published by Bethesda is: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GotY for £14.99 (oof!); action-adventure spin-off The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard for £3.89; dungeon-crawling side-game An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire for £3.89; id Software’s Quake with the two Mission Packs for £6.49; The Ultimate Doom for £3.89; Doom II plus Final Doom and the Master Levels for £6.49.

Lastly, Black Isle Studios’ Fallout is back on GOG for £6.49 while Fallout 2 is also £6.49 – and the spin-off Fallout Tactics is £6.49 too.

The Fallout games vanished from GOG at the end of 2013 as the rights passed to Bethesda from original publisher Interplay – but not before they were given away free. Nice to have them back.

Bundles make the Elder Scrolls games, Fallouts, and id shooters cheaper in bulk too.

While TES: Arena and TES: Daggerfall have both been free for a while – you can download them from Bethesda – they’ll be slammed on your GOG virtual shelf for convenience’s sake if you buy any Bethesda game.

1. Gravy100 says:

Terminator: Future Shock incoming quite soon I hope!

2. povu says:

Redguard and Battlespire have been impossible to download legally, and I bet the original copies are a pain in the ass to install nowadays. It’s good to see them getting the GOG treatment.

• JFS says:

That’s true. It’s nice to see GOG haven’t forgotten their roots. But €20 for Morrowind? That price allows you to actually gauge what Morrowind meant for videogames :) Or at least it allows you to estimate the emptiness in Bethesda’s moneyvaults.

3. Zaxwerks says:

Seeing as you can get Morrowind GOTY on Amazon for £4.47 then £14.99 on GOG seems a bit steep.

4. Rao Dao Zao says:

I’ve never played Doom 1, 2 or Quake 1. I have been waiting all my life for this.

Also Elder Scrolls Redguard looks beast.

basilisk says:

Why the wait? Dooms and Quakes have been available on Steam et al. for a very long time and any DRM, if that is a concern, can be easily circumvented by using a source port, which is both perfectly legal and (arguably) the preferable way to play the games anyway.

• iniudan says:

No soundtrack on the Steam version of Quake, after all you need Nine Inch Nails for the full Quake experience.

basilisk says:

That’s true, but the soundtrack is widely available on the internet (there’s even a guide with links and instructions on Steam) and no one seems to mind.

It’s not quite GOG’s pre-packaged solution, but I don’t expect they’re using any source port either, and vanilla Quake is… well, not exactly unplayable, but I really don’t see why you’d want to play that. It’s a game that really benefits from running in higher resolutions.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Not sure if looking beast is a good thing or a bad thing, but regardless, Redguard was pretty awful.

• ansionnach says:

Picked it up in a bargain bin an age ago but never played it much. If there’s fun to be had, you’ve got to overcome clunkiness and brain-damagingly poor animation to get to it. Might play it when I’ve played everything that’s better… so I might die before then!

syllopsium says:

If you want to play Doom 1 and 2 cheap all that’s needed is the BFG edition of Doom 3. Either play them as designed through the front end, or take the .WAD files and use them with any third party engine.

5. kud13 says:

Wishlisting Morrowind. Does it include the expansions?

6. JFS says:

Oh, apparently buying any of the games gets you Arena and Daggerfall as well!

“When you buy this game, The Elder Scrolls: Arena and The Elder Scrolls Chapter II: Daggerfall will be added to your GOG.com account for free!”

• drewski says:

Bargain. Was wondering why Daggerfall wasn’t on there.

• Alice O'Connor says:

They’ve both been free for a while – link to elderscrolls.com and link to elderscrolls.com – so this really just slams them in your GOG library. Still, I’ll mention that to remind folks. Ta!

• JFS says:

Yeah, thanks! Didn’t know that, but can’t hurt to be put in the article :)

• Gibush says:

I’m just curious if they’re all GOG’d up and will run well on modern OS’s out of the box, or if they’re “as is”. I do remember one of the TES wikis having a “windows installer” version but IIRC the Bethesda-site versions were sort of “as is” and may have required tinkering.

• ansionnach says:

Daggerfall is also available in an installer which sets everything up perfectly, adding all sorts of patches, as well as fixed and new quests (you can customise what to add). Also sets up DOSBox and adds all sorts of windows shortcuts. It’s called DaggerfallSetup.

7. TillEulenspiegel says:

Oh yeah, Daggerfall and Arena are still available for free. But that doesn’t include the manual or preconfigured DOSBox or anything, so it would still be nice to see them on GOG eventually.

8. piedpiper says:

The first thing I did after reading headline – bought Quake I.

9. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

That picture sure does look like Professor X to me.

10. MrTea says:

Since most of these games run on Dosbox, I don’t get why they don’t release them on OSX and Linux as well

• Janichsan says:

I’m admittedly just speculating here, but Bethesda representatives have on several occasions expressed a deep disdain for anything not Windows, specifically Macs.

I guess it’s not a coincidence that after Betheda’s acquisition of id – who always have been supporting Macs and and to some extent Linux – the only id game released for Mac was a somewhat crippled version of RAGE, that didn’t even got the Scorchers DLC. And the most likely reasons for that were that this Mac version was already almost done at the time of the acquisition, and that there have been existing licensing agreements in place with the Mac version’s distributor Aspyr.

I’m still surprised they released Elder Scrolls Online for OS X, but given that this version leaves a lot to be desired, the extent of their support can also be deemed very limited.

I also could not help but notice that Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics are no longer available for Mac on GOG, although they previously were. (If you bought these games earlier, you still have the old versions which support OS X as “Fallout Classic” in your library, but now you can only buy them for Windows.)

11. SaintAn says:

I’m sad there’s no Call of Cthulhu. Would be nice to have a copy that doesn’t crash like crazy at certain parts.

• EhexT says:

They’d really have to rip that game apart to fix some of the problems. The character movement speed is negatively affected by resolution the game is running at, which means parts are literally unbeatable if your resolution is too high. That sort of stuff doesn’t fit with GoGs “buy it, it’ll work” ethos.

• piedpiper says:

I already gave up to play it someday. Sad, one of those games I definetely would not miss if I had a chance to play them as they were intended.

12. baozi says:

Huh, for some reason I wouldn’t have expected Morrowind to come to GOG.

Aerothorn says:

Why on earth is Morrowind $20? Has GOG *ever* launched an old game at that price point? So many amazing classics at either $6 or $10.

I mean, I love Morrowind. It’s fantastic. I just don’t see why it above all others deserves double the price maximum.

• Henson says:

$20 matches the price for Morrowind currently listed on Steam. Why the Amazon copy is so much cheaper is a mystery to me.

• Sin Vega says:

Because it’s not decided by the publishers, whose prices frankly take the piss. Morrowind has been easy to buy new for a fiver for at least six years.

14. JP says:

BTW if you get Doom 1/2, you’re way better off using a modern source port like GZDoom. Also looks like that’s your only option if you’re on Mac or Linux! Sad that Bethesda doesn’t bother to support those given that Doom runs on every platform under the sun.

15. Hilloh says:

Apparently these new releases of Fallout games appear as different entries in GoG from the older versions. I have them from when they were given away for free and they are labeled as Fallout Classic etc. It seems buying the new releases when I already have the old is possible. Also the old ones are available for Mac too, whereas the new releases are not. Seems that the goodie that come with the game also differ, there are tons listed in my library for the old releases but new ones only mention manual and and also reference card in case of Fallout 2.

Weird.

• Jalan says:

Read the GOG forum thread, there’s multiple people advising not to buy the Bethesda releases of the Fallout titles if you were among the people who got them free when they were put out during the promo before their initial removal.

16. ephesus64 says:

Thanks for putting this up so I knew about it, because 14 year old me owes somebody some money. Remember qcrack?

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Thank you for that reminder. Googling that ripped a hole in the time-space continuum to a circa 1997 angelfire page link to i.imgur.com
      I wish I had pimpslapped all our 14 year old selves while I was there through.

17. Jerkzilla says:

I was really fascinated by Battlespire and its premise after I heard of it like 10 years ago. Then recently, I watched a Let’s Play and got completely put off.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, from what I’ve heard it’s not great. Still bought a copy in box for like $2 some years back, just to be a completist. The one I’m really excited about is Redguard, which I also have a cheaply acquired boxed copy of, but which made the terrible error of basing its 3D mode on an API (Glide) that was proprietary to a specific brand of 3D card that no longer exists and has thus been incredibly difficult to get running in any sort of acceptable fashion.

• onomatomania says:

The Glide API was a pretty decent bet at the time that Redguard was being developed – DirectX wasn’t anywhere near up-to-snuff and it really looked like 3dfx was going to win the hardware war. One of the main reasons that helped was the attention paid to OpenGL, and the only reason why OpenGL became well-supported was the fact that John Carmack and id championed it (and assisted the manufacturers with their drivers).

In retrospect, this is slightly ironic, but only slightly.

• malkav11 says:

I can see how it may have seemed like a good bet at the time, but I just don’t think it was ever a good idea to base the game’s one and only 3D rendering solution on a proprietary API that only worked on one brand of video card. I mean, can you imagine if a game’s sound only worked on one brand of sound card, or a game’s physics only worked if someone had a PhysX card? I get that it was the most popular brand of 3D card at the time, but jeez.

• Janichsan says:

Really. How could anyone ever use a proprietary API like *Nvidia* PhysX, that only is hardware accelerated on Nvidia cards? Or Nvidia GameWorks, which isn’t supported with any other GPU at all? Or AMD’s TressFX, which only works on AMD GPUs? Or the Oculus API, that supports no other VR goggle than the Oculus Rift?

• malkav11 says:

Those aren’t really equivalent situations. Games using PhysX, TressFX, or Gameworks are using those features to achieve some minor visual filigree effects that are generally so performance intensive even on systems that have access to those APIs that most people turn them off. The games are fully functional and beautiful on other systems. Oculus is the only piece of VR hardware anyone actually owns right now, and most of those games will probably patch in wider support for other devices if they become popular.

(I’d note also that I wasn’t talking about Nvidia PhysX, I was talking about the brief period of time when PhysX was a separate company with an ill-fated PCI physics card.)

• malkav11 says:

It also seems like plenty of other games of Redguard’s era had Glide support AND OpenGL or DirectX support. It’s only having Glide that makes Redguard so problematic today.

• Janichsan says:

Actually, the situation is more equivalent as you think: back in these days, hardware-accelerated 3D graphics was as much an optional “luxury” feature as are hardware-accelerated physics or hardware-accelerated hairdos today. The games of these days (and even later) still had the basic software rendering as alternative.

By the way, DirectX was never an option for Battlespire and Redguard, since both are actually still MS-DOS based games.

• Janichsan says:

* “…than you think”, dammit. My kingdom for a edit function…

• malkav11 says:

Sorry, but 3D rendering in a 3D-rendered game is not an optional feature. Apparently Diablo II had Glide support, and in that context it seems like more of a luxury.

• malkav11 says:

Glide being the only option for hardware 3D on DOS (as OpenGL existed in DOS but was software-only, apparently) does make a lot more sense, though. IIRC that’s another reason it’s such a pain in the ass in Redguard’s case because while there are quite a few Glide wrappers for Windows, for years the only option for Glide emulation in DOS was “GliDOS”, which was a paid utility that cost more than the game did. I mean, I stopped trying to run Redguard years ago so that may have changed – it certainly looks like GoG found another solution. But that wasn’t really an option I was up for.

• ansionnach says:

I have both Redguard and Battlespire and played them a bit. Not enough to come down too heavily on them, but if they were essential I would have played them.

One thing I remember about Redguard is the incredibly stiff animation that gets repetitive quickly and even hurts your brain to look at. Very clunky game.

Thought Battlespire might be fun in co-op, probably wouldn’t bother with it otherwise.

18. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

GOG has been a good thing for PC gamers for a variety of reason, and they work hard to make old games work right out of the box and stuff.

I think it’s fair if they ask a little more for a high profile game of the past, afterall we’re still talking about little money.

Some places like Amazon are sooner or later going to offer you something for cheaper, but a little saving doesn’t outweight ( for me ) the importance of supporting what i feel is right.

19. Kaeoschassis says:

Eeeexcellent.

Everybody go play Doom right now. Go on. Off with you.

20. bill says:

I’m late, but I wanted to add my two penneth:

A – Morrowind, Doom (esp 2) and Quake (esp 1) are all great.

B – Redguard was also great. Its small but detailed world was great to explore and some of the big statues and aquaducts seemed huge and atmospheric at the time. It might not have that effect these days.

C – I hear the GOG implementation of Redguard has major performance issues – buyer beware.

D – If you get Doom etc.. you are basically wanting to get the asset files.. you’ll want to run them on modern engines like glDoom/zDoom/whatever is flavor of the month now.

E – 15 quid for Morrowind is ridiculous. I bought the disc version of the GOTY edition (with nice big paper map!) for 9.99 at least 10 years ago in virgin. (It is a great game though, and you’ll get your money’s worth in terms of play time)

F: The individual prices for doom etc… are rather overblown too… but the bundles might be ok.

G: If i remember correctly, if you get the Morrowind GOTY pack and install the Tribunal expansion then your first level character will continually get insta-assasinated every time they try to sleep… unless you pull off a flukey win and then end up with overpowered gear that makes all the low level stuff useless.

H: Not providing Mac/Linux versions of some of these, especially ones that were previously on Mac/Linux like Fallout is kinda mean.

I: Only adding versions of Arena/Daggerfall for people who buy a game now is a bit mean, given that they’ve been available for free for ages. (which was in itself generous, so I guess i shouldn’t complain).

All-in-all, a mixed bag.

• bill says:

J: I hope they get Dark Corners of the Earth. If they can fix the bug that makes the last level impossible.

K: I really hope they get Terminator: Future Shock and Skynet – 2 of the best FPS ever made. But I imagine the terminator license probably puts those games in limbo.