Assassin’s Creed Movie Costume, Setting & Character Name Revealed

Haha, that could be anyone in there. Though if you look really closely, you can just about make out a wince of shame in his eyes. But yes, this is our very first look at Michael ‘Big Boy’ Fassbender in the movie adaptation of Ubisoft’s jumpy-stabby Assassin’s Creed series.

Here’s the full image:

I dunno, ‘yahoo’ seems a pretty weird catchphrase for a stealthy assassin guy to me?

The costume’s very dark, obv. I guess someone decided bright white looked a little silly in the flesh. It also looks like pre-rendered promotional art for a videogame, oddly.

We also now know, via a Yahoo reveal, that Fass’s character will be one Callum Lynch – quite possibly a Desmond Miles analogue – and that he’ll be reliving the memories of an as-yet unnamed ancestor who lived in Aguilar, in 15th Century Spain. “After gaining incredible knowledge and skills he’s poised to take on the oppressive Knights Templar in the present day.” It will not be based on an existing AssCreed tale.

Apparently filming begins Monday, and will take place in Spain, Malta and London. The film is set to open next December.

1. rustybroomhandle says:

A guy with “ass” in his name is starring in a movie with two asses in the title!

2. dsch says:

Is it weird that my brain tells me I’m seeing polygons and bump mapping in the photo?

• Robert Post's Child says:

Not weird at all. wonder if it’s a stylistic thing or just conditioned assumptions – we expect this to be a high poly promo still, so our brain splits the difference.

• metric day says:

No. It doesn’t even look like a photo.

• SuicideKing says:

That. I really thought it was something from the next game till I read the title.

• Janichsan says:

His stubble looks like a bad shader.

• king0zymandias says:

It’s the dramatic rim lighting that’s making you say that. Both the lights were placed behind him somewhere on either side. The harsh rim lights are highlighting the detail of the fabric to the point of almost blowing them up while at the same time the lack of soft light is almost obscuring the face. Easy to keep such a dramatic lighting set-up like that for a still photo-shoot, much harder to do on the set of a live action film set, since everything’s moving all the time. However when it comes to CG films, it once again becomes much easier, since the lighting TDs can easily keyframe every aspect of the light based on where the camera is and the character rigs are on any given frame. Which is why cinematics made my Blur, Digic or Blizzard tends to have much more dynamic and dramatic lighting than most hollywood films, discounting Zack Snyder of course.

3. Zallgrin says:

I figured there is no way that the film-makers could ruin the stylish assassin outfits from this series, but I guess I was proven wrong once again.

I will reserve my final opinion until the trailer comes out, but right now – ehhhh, looks like we will get a second Prince of Persia. Not bad, not that good, just kinda mediocre and okay.

• Deadly Sinner says:

What? Besides the lack of a “beak” on the hood, it looks like it could be ripped from one of the games.

• Zallgrin says:

I am not a big fan of the fabric they used, although I assume it does make sense for the Spanish setting. It may look better in better lighting, but so far it looks that it lacks the simplicity or elegance of the better assassin outfits. Also, lack of strong colour accents is disappointing, as the red cloth around the waist does not really suffice for my taste.

I was only gonna watch this movie for the cool outfits and the parcouring on roofs of medievals cities. The fact that the outfit isn’t very good makes the movie lose 50% of its original appeal.

• ninnyjams says:

You’ve already rendered judgment (after saying you wouldn’t render judgment) based on the first still image before filming even got started. Right ..

• Shadow says:

Ruin the outfits? Are you kidding me? This is one of the few which actually looks like it could possibly be worn by an assassin, if only because it’s mostly black and doesn’t pointlessly rely on flamboyant colours and anachronistic anime-like fashion.

Not that it looks completely sensible and inconspicuous, but it’s a nice throwback to the humbler robes of the first game.

4. Zanchito says:

I’m curious about their depiction of Spain. Still have seizures whenever I remember Mission Impossible 2 .d cs.dcsdcsdc q.c,. q ack.

• makute says:

As a spaniard, I really know how do you feel…

• Loimographia says:

Well, fwiw, AC is reasonably known for bothering with factual accuracy in terms of historical costuming, people and architecture (outside of the MC’s clothes at least). Or at least it was for the first few, since my parents bought me AC2 despite knowing nothing about it bc they had heard it had recreated renaissance Rome and Florence super accurately. And now I’m a grad student of one of the academics who served as an historical adviser for that game too, so I cam vouch for their good taste in historians ;D Basically, whatever else you can say about the quality of the narrative etc for the movie, I’d hold out decent hope that they’ll make an effort not to bastardize 15c Spain too much.

5. Robert Post's Child says:

*Pulls back the hood* Gasp! Jake Gyllenhaal!

6. BlacKHeaDSg1 says:

Probably nobody didn’t play AC 1 at all … this is dress that Altair wares but this is black.

• Sian says:

Aside from the big belt, this has little to do with Altaïr’s original robe:
      link to img1.wikia.nocookie.net

• Bing_oh says:

Probably little if anything to do with Altair. Besides that there’s nothing that indicates that he’s connected to Desmond’s bloodline, the timeline puts this ancestor somewhere around 400 years after Altair. He’s probably actually much closer to Ezio’s era.

7. jonahcutter says:

How cunning of him to have the logo of his secret organization sewn right into the front of his hood. Makes it easier for his fellow secret organization members to spot him in a crowd, I suppose. Those wily assassins certainly know all the tricks.

• Janichsan says:

And don’t forget the cleverly not hidden blades: even when retracted, they are clearly visibly attached to his forearms. It would be a shame if they were covered by his tunic’s sleeves…

8. Zenicetus says:

“he’s poised to take on the oppressive Knights Templar in the present day.”

Uh oh… does present day mean today? Please tell me they’re not going with the whole Desmond VR/ancestral memory thing.

9. Eight Rooks says:

Why on Earth do you imagine they’d drop it, given it’s one of the main PR bullet points of the series? And since his name is Callum Lynch and he’s roaming around 15th century Spain, I’m thinking yes, present-day descendant.

10. 9of9 says:

Assassin’s Creed: The Fassassin Strikes!

• SuicideKing says:

You mean Fassassin’s Creed.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I liked Michael in X-Men: First Fass, so I’m hoping he will make this movie better than other video game movies.

11. Bing_oh says:

I must say that I’m rather disappointed that Fassbender still has both ring fingers. Yes, I know that it’s not required to removed the rings fingers to use the hidden blade anymore, but it would have shown proper dedication to the role. Actors just don’t do what it takes to really become the character anymore…

12. Phantasma says:

‘Big Boy’?

13. Zhivko Yakimov says:

The clothing implies it takes place in Moorish Granada, considering the time period. My guess would be taking on the fall of Granada and the end of the Reconquista, it is the biggest event in Spanish history at the time. Regarding European fashion at the time, it should be the same as AssCreed II, as Spain was quite influenced by Italian fashion at the time. It also helped that the Spanish king (Ferdinand of Aragon) held vast pieces of Italy athe time (most of present-day south Italy).

The image does look as a game promotion stuff, though. I don’t have high hopes for it, there may be a reason why games don’t translate well to the big screen.

14. DedlySpyder says:

I feel that an assassin’s creed movie should go back to multiple ancestors, somehow do something more than just the cinematics of a game

• Jediben says:

It’s a humourless Blackadder, with murder instead of turnips shaped like a thingy.

• Arthur ASCII says:

Haha yes, or retractable blades instead of a balanced slug? Actually I was totally baffled for a sec as I was thinking, exactly HOW is a 2 hour movie of Fassbender sitting on his couch at home playing a Ubisoft videogame remotely interesting? And then I realised, not quite, heh. Yes, I’ll watch it. I mean it’s not as if it’s that far removed a concept from “The Matrix” is it? The only potential obvious jinx is there hasn’t been too many memorable movies derived from videogames of course… Wing Commander and Hitman? (don’t know anything about the new Hitman yet, I’m talking about the 2007 Olyphant one) were the only two that didn’t completely suck like say, Tomb Raider? Who knows, this one might finally raise the bar and turn out to be the best of the bunch, we shall sea…