Better Late Than Never: Dying Light Demo Released

Have you played Dying Light [official site]? Techland’s follow-up to Dead Island is pretty good fun, says our Adam. You run and jump and parkour around an open world, killing zombies with guns and fancy knives. If that’s your sort of bag, hey, you might fancy playing its demo, which has finally launched on Steam – eight months after the game’s initial release.

If you have played Dying Light, you might fancy watching 15 minutes of gameplay from its upcoming expansion The Following, which adds a new area and vehicles.

What’s in the demo? Techland explain:

“The demo lets players explore most of the Slums area and offers 3 hours of unique content, including one story quest chain and a number of side quests, challenges, and random encounters. It also features all the core gameplay mechanics of Dying Light, such as the day and night cycle, parkour-based Natural Movement system, creative brutality and crafting. Additionally, the demo supports online co-op mode for up to 4 players.”

Okey cokey! Technland still have no word on quite when The Following will launch, but it’ll cost $14.99 or come as part of the DLC season pass. Here’s a peek at it with developer commentary, archived from a livestream over the weekend:

basilisk says:

Good move. I’ve been very much on the fence about this (first-person parkour yay! zombies boo!), so a demo is most welcome.

2. The Butete says:

I haven’t played it, I think it’s a good thing that they release the demo version before the expansion arrives.

3. LennyLeonardo says:

I had a lot of fun with Dying Light, despite the truly awful story/script/characters. It’s a weird game. Looking forward to this.

• CrookedLittleVein says:

I concur; the gameplay is fairly enjoyable but the writing is perfunctory at best. I ended up skipping most of the cutscenes out of sheer boredom.

4. Robert Post's Child says:

Been listening to the soundtrack a bit recently, suppose I might as well try the actual game too.

5. Morcane says:

For people on the fence a great chance to check out this great game. I´m still playing this from time to time since it´s so satisfying to run around and maim zombies. Can´t wait for the expansion.

6. XhomeB says:

Perfect! I’ve been considering getting it for quite a while now, perfect opportunity to see if it’s right up my alley.

7. bill says:

Hmm. I very much doubt it’ll run on my PC… but first person parkour! so I might give it a try and turn everything down to minimum.

I’m finding that now we seem to have passed the last 6 year plateau in PC game requirements, I’m suddenly needing demos again. Those years where I could just install anything and assume it would run were lovely.. but are gone.

8. KastaRules says:

Although the Zombie genre is without doubt the most exploited and abused genre of all, Dying Light does freshen up the formula with its cleverly implemented parkour element.

It’s an extremely fun to play game showing that Techland learned from their mistakes.

I think that DayZ (the mod more than the game) nailed the atmosphere of dread that you would be forced to face in a post apocalypse scenario, while Dying Light excels at making you feel the King of Zombieland, which is a blast!

9. horrorgasm says:

but are they going to fix the random inventory/progress/entire character deleting bugs that the console versions have? You know, the very same massive bugs that they never could be bothered to fix even back in Dead Island on all platforms either? Don’t support these assholes or if you do, remember I told you so when it happens to you.

10. Bobtree says:

I can’t find any info on whether you can carry over a demo save to the full game. If not, I’ll probably skip it and wait for a sale (it’s frequently $30 on Amazon for a retail copy that activates on Steam). Also it’s strange that this is not a “download demo” button on Dying Light’s Steam page, but is instead listed as a separate product.

• Bobtree says:

I tried it and apparently you can’t save in the demo at all. It has a 1 hour (re-playable) time limit, so that’s no big loss.

11. tonicer says:

Why in the name of holy Gaben are gamepadgameplayvideos still a thing? Damn consoles.