Transformers: Devastation Still Looks Spectactular

I remain mildly concerned that Transformers: Devastation [official site] will be a game I can only watch others play rather than do much with myself, because these bony hands have never been great at combos. But look at it. LOOK AT IT. Even if you’re not dangerously susceptible to 1980s toylines, it’s a delight to behold. High-speed tyrespins on downed enemies! Fights on top of collapsing suspension bridges! Mid-air hammer/tyrannosaur switching! Even Bumblebee doesn’t look like a total prick.

It looks VERY EXCITING, entirely over the top, and pretty much exactly what nerds like me wish was in cinemas instead of whatever dull, grey, militaristic wet dream Michael Bay ordered a thousand anonymous, outsourced digital artists to ejaculate onto the screen for him. LOOK:

I almost certainly won’t be able to play this game (made by Bayonetta studio PlatinumGames) without humiliating myself and everyone who has ever known me, but increasingly it looks as though it will manage to be both a lovely-looking, old-school Transformers game and a deeply involved, spectacular brawler too. Normally we don’t even get one of those things.

I hope we get the Red Alert, Goldbug and Nemesis Prime skins on PC as well as PlayStation. Then again, they’re a pre-order thing so YAA BOO NO GERROFFIT.

1. Synesthesia says:

auuungghgh yis! I’m gonna support the shit out of this, this looks properly amazing.

MonkeyMonster says:

I just leaked a little oil…

• MadArcher says:

+1 !

It is already the best Transformers game ever made !

@Alec : Best description of Michael Bay’s Transformers ever!

3. XhomeB says:

If there is a genre I’m hilariously bad at, it’s this one. It’s not just that such games end up being extremely difficult more often than not, no, the fact they’re so exhausting! is what prevents me from playing them for periods longer than half an hour.
    The amount of mindless, frantic button mashing required to complete them combined with the amount of flashy effects constantly obscuring vision quickly becomes too much. I’m unable to focus any longer, which results in my character getting absoltely “rekt”. And then, my only option is to hit the quit game button and play something more relaxing.
    Disclaimer: I enjoyed MG Revengeance a lot, would play a sequel (just make stealth a bit more viable and fun, thanks).

• Beefenstein says:

I’m someone who went from quitting MGR in disgust (on easy!) to being someone who can complete the whole thing on hard (not without dying, but still).

The trick is not to see these as a genre of games requiring reactions but as a genre of games requiring planning and prediction. Once I knew how the enemies would react I could stop trying to fill every second with attacks, baiting moves instead for useful dodges or deadly parries, and herding enemies in order to use space to my advantage.

I look at this trailer now and see techniques rather than flashy button-mash craziness.

So, if you want to enjoy this you probably can, as long as you let yourself change rather than asking the game to.

4. jonahcutter says:

Love the cartoon, cel-shaded look. And I understand it’s in the style of the anime-brawler game, but all those impact and power effects serve to obscure how cool everything looks.

5. realworld666 says:

Take this game engine and these models and make a Transformers the Movie (1986) Game. NOW!

6. vlonk says:

This… actually looks better then my own imaginations of brawling Transformers I had as a kid. Huh. I guess a joint team effort of determined and ambitious grown up men to achieve the utmost childish and fun CAN actually outdo the pure imagination of a child.

• NonCavemanDan says:

Their previous game Wonderful 101 was basically this as well.
      Investors: What have you got for us?
      Team Platinum: Ok, so you’re a 100 little superheroes that magically combine together to make a fist that drives a flying ship to shoot a 3-headed metal dragon as you chase it through a city of skyscrapers then you harpoon it and slide down onto its back where you fight one of the heads until you turn into a giant sword and repeatedly stab its eye out then you transform your team into a replacement eye and control the head to bite off one of the *other* heads then you jump out and it self destructs then the last dragon head makes you fly up really high and you have to fight it in free fall as you jump from falling debris platforms until it eventually drops the magic statue it had stolen from you but you catch it and transform yourselves into an arrow for the statue (not the bow, that would be silly) and then grab the enemy’s sword as he drops it and slice him in half before you’re even within 1000ft of the ground.
      Investors: Gosh, that seems like an impressive final boss.
      Team Platinum: It’s only the first level!

• vlonk says:

Now you make me think about the rationale of Investors. When i would hear a pitch like that I would probably check for widened pupils, shaky hands, cold sweat, odd behaviour and other signs of drug abuse :D
        Then again its wild artistic and creative approach makes it a better pitch then stuff like Bastion:
        We make a 3D plattformer but ours will be unique because it has colors and a good voice casting from a guy we know. Actually the characters will not talk we mostly have this one guy do all the voicework. And we integrate our story really well. We are programmers but we will also sing and play the guitar for our game and it will be AWESOME! We write an album for this you know.

Would you finance this bearded fellow and the lady with a six digit amount when they pitch this on your couch ?=)

7. Arathain says:

If my fumble fingers and I can enjoy Revengeance you’ll be able to enjoy this. That game was exquisitely well designed to make learning it fun as well. I’m sure this will be too.

8. mattevansc3 says:

I was already excited for this game but its the audio that’s tipped me over the edge. The sound effects for the combat is the same, metallic signed from the cartoons.

When someone is putting so much effort in that they get the insignificant things like the noise a robot hitting another robot makes spot on you know you are in for something great.

• Beefenstein says:

Good point. The clanginess is perfect, and I guess this means they should make a Clangers game. Now I’ve said that I kinda want it.

Phasma Felis says:

I’ll probably give it a try, but it’s weird that someone so obviously deeply versed in and enamored with the original cartoon would…forget that they had guns, mostly.

Also, there’s no nice way to say this: The thing where you do a burnout, then release the brake and slam into your enemy is cool. The thing where you do that in mid-air is rockstupid. I know this is just a game, but do you not expect the players to know how wheels work?

Also also, could we–as a society–we get a time machine, find whatever stoned videogame exec first said “the entire game should pause whenever someone gets hit, because purple monkey dishwasher yoyo,” and erase him from existence? Thanks.

• pepperfez says:

I had trouble with that too, until I realized that the physics aren’t meant to represent how real, full-size Transformers would behave. They’re the physics of kids mashing toys together and making transforming noises, which I love.

10. melancholicthug says:

My god, is like all those toys I didn’t get as a kid! Damn mail service that misplaced all the letters to poor Santa.

11. Moraven says:

Seeing the art style makes me want a new Robotech Battlecry.

12. acespade22 says:

Now if only they make a 1986 Gi Joe cell shaded game in the same style as this or even better a full blown RPG i would totally jizz my old man pants with 80’s nostalgia!!! PLZ MAKE IT HAPPEN