Mount & Blade: Warband Is Free On Steam This Weekend

For the rest of this weekend Mount & Blade: Warband [official site] is free on Steam, finally bringing an answer to the question on everyone’s lips: “What is free this weekend is it Mount & Blade?” It is! Along with all its expansions – Mount & Blade: Napoleonic Wars and Viking Conquest Reforged Edition are also both free. Imagine me bellowing this information to you like a television mattress salesmen.

Here’s what you should know: it’ll only be free until Sunday – that’s the 30th – at 1 p.m. PDT. There are also some decent sales which slaps a 66 percent discount on all other Mount & Blade franchise titles.

Warband’s Viking Conquest add-on got a recent update following a shaky initial release in December. The game was low on content and high on bugs, as you can read about here. It’s since been fixed up and relaunched by a little team call Brytenwalda.

Mount & Blade creators TaleWorlds have been tapping external developers for Warband expansions while they themselves focus on Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord. Still no word on when that’ll be released, but the project is over here if you want to check in.

1. Tiax says:

I couldn’t care less of the represented time period, but it’s DLC Napoleonic Warfare is still one of the best and funniest multi-player game there is.

100vs100 battles (still easily findable even today) combined with a very role-playing prone community and a lot of magnificent nonsense (you can play tons of different instruments and there’s even an option to play as a band).

The rifles are incredibly innacurate and they take AGES to reload after every single shot, which mean player-skill is of very limited importance, which makes the whole experience strangely relaxing even though every battle is an incredible chaos.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

There was a Half-life 2 mod, possibly called 1776, that took place during the revolutionary war. Occasionally you could get in a server where people would have ‘line battles’. You would all line up, possibly a couple ranks deep, and each team would have a commander telling people when to take aim, fire and eventually charge. Great, silly fun.

If that DLC is anything like that but on a bigger scale I would definitely wanna give it a try.

• Tiax says:

This is precisely what happens now and then on some of the most populated servers.

And yes, it is glorious fun.

• Powderhorn says:

The HL2 mod is called Battle Grounds 2.

• caff says:

Thanks for pointing this out – I bought the DLC yesterday and have spent many happy hours playing on a 200-player roleplaying server. You’re right, it is hilarious!

Qazinsky says:

If you’ve never played Mount & Blade in any form, do yourself a favor and try it out now when free, it should’nt be that big, since it’s not exactly new. The game has a very nice feel to the combat, with directional swings and parries and they take things like speed and angle into account to calculate damage. Mounted combat is also great, riding your war steed into the fray and landing a clean swing or that beautiful arrow that sails into your opponent in the distance (after the five that fell short because you didn’t aim high enough).

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

I’ll add that even if you miss the free weekend, the demo (available on Steam or from TaleWorlds if you prefer Steam-less) is an unlimited trial with nothing blocked off up to level 7 I believe.
      If you buy it you can continue your progress with the same character in the full version.

3. deveroth says:

for months i’d wanted to buy this game, finally did last week.

and what an absolute disaster it is. the combat is basically unplayable, forcing you to wildly swing the camera all over just to change your angle of attack. and since combat is roughly 95% of this game, if you can’t get the hang of it, you’re straight f*****.

i appreciate how scalable the graphics are, but thats literally the only good thing i can say about this game. AVOID IT. it’ll just make you seasick and angry.

• Mrice says:

Its strange the difference of opinion. I cant relate to what you are saying at all, i love the game, the combat, all of it.

• deveroth says:

how do you deal with having to swing the camera around constantly to swing a weapon or block? it immediately had me dying for some sort of gamepad support; i found it terribly awkward.

• Mrice says:

I just dont mind it. It works for me. Probably helps if your sensitivity is down a bit i geuss. Also its not really about speed so dont like flick your mouse around. Its gentle and relaxed.

• Reapy says:

You only have to move the camera 1 pixel or so in the direction you want, then click to lock it in. It is awkward at first but freeing and interesting as you learn it.

You can alway see newer players ‘over pump’ their swings, if they are swinging left their character model is rotating to look in that direction proceeding the swing, while with older players their character model doesn’t move at all when they pick their swings.

If you put the direction arrows on, those yellow bars will tell you what direction you will get when you left/right click, if you just move the mouse around you can see how little you have to move in a direction to pick the way you want.

Eventually you will detach camera view from swing selection, but again think of it as a micro pump in the direction you want immediately followed by a mouse click, then resuming your standard mouse movements.

• Devan says:

I never thought of it as “swinging the camera around”, but as swinging the weapon around. The mouse is controlled by your had after all, which would IRL be holding the sword so it feels fairly natural that way to me, especially with the 3rd person view.

• deveroth says:

i kinda hear what you’re saying but…when you move the mouse, the camera moves around, not the character’s weapon hand. mouse movement is tied to camera movement, which is subsequently tied to weapon movement. its unwieldy and unplayable.

• vlonk says:

Try automatic block and use the keyboard for directional attacks. Much MUCH easier entry into this fascinating combat system.

• deveroth says:

your comment is a classic example of how this game is oversold by pretty much everyone. even if i were to get the hang of the combat, i can very clearly see it wouldn’t be “fascinating” by any stretch of the imagination; its basically just a test of reflexes – can you identify the direction someone is swinging at you and block it in time. at best it’s like that old game Simon…about which, i assure you, there was absolutely nothing fascinating at all.

i wish i could somehow purge the internet of comments like yours, cause they’re terribly misleading.

• hungrycookpot says:

I think you might not quite have the hang of it yet, that’s all. The inclination is to give a directional swing a biiiiig flick of the mouse, but you only need a very minor one for the game to pick it up. It’s not a system without flaws, but it is very manageable once you get into it.

I’d say my biggest problem with the game, possibly my only problem, is the soldier AI. The game is basically a giant mess unless you’re on horse-back, you just end up with a giant line of dudes chasing with vertical slashes you while you backpedal.

• Mrice says:

I wish the game had a bit better ai. Having troops switch to ranged when chasing someone down would be great.

• badmothergamer says:

It really does take some getting used to but once you do, the combat is actually one of the selling points over the simple and oft-criticized combat of Bethesda games. As others mentioned, the key is subtle movements since you have control over swing direction. You don’t have so slide your mouse all the way across your desk just to swing. With some practice you’ll get the hang of it and be slaughtering peasants and stealing their cattle in no time. :)

• deveroth says:

i didn’t realize how twitch-based it would be. like, my gaming reflexes are generally s***, which is why i play RPGs to begin with. blocking is key in this game, but its based on super-quickly identifying the enemy’s angle of attack and pressing the right button. that would be fine, if the combat speed slider actually made that window to select direction bigger, but it doesn’t do anything from what i can tell.

so, back to pillars of eternity for me!

4. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Arc: Survival Evolved is also free this weekend, although for some reason this hasn’t made it onto Steam’s front page adverts.

• Emton says:

After you said that I went to go try it and found out why, the download is 24 gigglebytes. With just 1 day left to try it I think I’m gonna hold off.

Mikemcn says:

Mount and blade is my most played steam game at 300 hours. It’s fantastic. It has the best melee combat of any game I’ve ever played. There is a legion of mods out there, from Game of Thrones (Called: A Clash Of Kings) to feudal japan (GeoKujo). But the base game is all you really need.

Try it, if you can ignore the jank of the whole thing you’ll love it.

Qazinsky says:

Oh, we’re talking mods, I want to toss in a few names:

Prophesy of Pendor, a mod that adds som fantasy to the world with magic weapons, add knights chapters, quite hard when you start, but worth it when you turn things around.

Warsword Conquest, a mod based on Warhammer (the fantasy version, not space marines) that has alot of factions, weapons and other cool stuff. Also, wolf mounts.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Warsword Conquest is absolutely bloody brilliant and everyone should try it, providing they don’t mind its occasional brokenness.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I bought this game specifically for the feudal Japan mod, I have no interest in playing it vanilla. I couldn’t get into it though, I just couldn’t figure out what to do. Do the mods change the gameplay enough that they are not recommended for beginners?

• fantodant says:

I’ve got 200 hours in Warband and I’ve literally never played vanilla. I started out with 1257 AD, then moved to Gekokujo and Brytenwalda, and have lately been playing mostly ACOK (though the other ASOIAF mod looks like it’ll eventually be better, given that it’s based on Brytenwalda) There are some mods that are harder at the beginning than others (I’ve heard Perisno is particularly bad), but starting one of them isn’t really any different from starting any new game. And they all share most of the same core functions – many of which serve as stark reminders that you’re playing a 7-year-old game.

My personal suggestion would be to go ahead and start with Gekokujo, because the mechanics of it aren’t all that different from the base game (from what I can tell). This is partially down to not having to learn a bunch of extra stuff, but also, frankly, because playing a feature-packed mod like Brytenwalda tends to make you miss said features in other mods.

• RanDomino says:

I’ve enjoyed me some The Last Days (Lord of the Rings mod).

• Stupoider says:

Just to chime in, Napoleonic Wars has a growing number of excellent multiplayer mods. Both North & South (American Civil War mod) and Whigs and Tories (American Revolution) are really fun, made even more fun if you join a regiment that takes part in the huge events that are held throughout the week. Deluge is another great mod but the community is still in its infancy.

I can’t believe I still dip into Napoleonic Wars this many years on. Just going on the Tropical Paradise server and getting into bayonet duels with people never gets old.

• cpt_freakout says:

Shout-out for the Floris mod here, which is basically vanilla Warband at its best.

Also have a look at Nova Aetas, a sort of Renaissance in Calradia mod that has some great-looking scenes (don’t activate the included ENB though, it just makes everything look pink and horribly bright).

6. SaintAn says:

Make sure to download the Warsword Conquest for this if you like Warhammer Fantasy. Huge overhaul mod that turns the game into a Warhammer game and adds new systems too. And download the Battle Size Extender mod too if your PC is decent.

You can increase your battle size to fit 1000 units at once in one battle, so 500 vs 500. It’s epic in the later game.

boundless08 says:

Emily, I’ll always picture you like this particular mattress salesman: link to youtube.com