Mutant Football League Is Coming To PC

Digital Dreams Entertainment has come out with early pre-alpha footage for a little game called Mutant Football League [official site]. Remember Mutant Football League? Memories of it are likely to be lingering way back in the dusty recesses of your brain. It originally released on the Mega Drive in the early ’90s and has had a couple iterations over the years, although never on PC. This latest version of Mutant League is currently being built in Unity for both PC and consoles and the first video is below.

I’ll admit that my memories of the series tend to blur with Games Workshop’s American football parody Blood Bowl, but often I’ll still get momentary flashbacks to an old TV show called Mutant League. You can tell if its image is passing through my mind by whether or not I’m screaming.

The new game offers four player multiplayer – both on and offline – and together you lay out traps and use dirty tricks to annihilate your opposition in the holy name of Maximum Carnage. Alas, there’s still no release date to announce; however, if you’re in the surrounding area of PAX Prime you can check it out first hand. In the meantime, take a gander at this here modern-day Mutant League Football.

1. Challenger2uk says:

Space Jam DLC, be your favourite looney toon!

2. crowleyhammer says:

Remember it?
    A,C,C

That was the buttons you pressed to set in motion a ref killing.

10 yard penalty as I recall.

3. ninjapirate says:

MLF and M.U.D.S. (for the PC) were two of my favorite games back in the 90s!

4. Delicieuxz says:

Those graphics look a bit ultra low poly.

5. Koshelkin says:

This reminds me Blood Bowl 2 is just around the corner. Yay!

6. Drew says:

No mention of the failed kickstarter they tried out this time a couple of years ago? It fell spectacularly short of the target.

• Allenomura says:

The pitch wasn’t great and it surely cost them, but if you were to mention this game’s history you’d also need to point out the fact that the trailer’s here despite that – but then, this article’s about the trailer’s release to begin with.

• Baines says:

It was more like an anti-pitch. It not only failed to sell people on the idea of those guys making a new Mutant League Football game, it managed to convince people that those devs shouldn’t be allowed near the concept.

7. thekelvingreen says:

The original used the Madden engine, as I recall. Remember how in Madden if a player was injured, the other players would crowd around, but then an ambulance would come in and crash into them, injuring even more players? That was fun.

8. OctoStepdad says:

This just makes me want a American Football sim like madden/ncaa on PC.

• Allenomura says:

I wish I knew EA’s hesitation from releasing NFL on PC. Is there an established reason, and has it been asked of them recently to explain?

• Fiatil says:

I would assume their justification is piracy, as silly as it may be. About the time they stopped porting Madden to PC they tried releasing an online only DLC heavy version of their Tiger Woods golf game on the PC, so it seems to be what they were thinking.

Their pricing structure on Madden tends to be pretty terrible as well. The newest version tends to stay at $60 on consoles until a month or two before the release of the next one (so about 10 months). That probably wouldn’t work out too well on PC.

• Fiatil says:

Also, in sadness that console and PC gamers can share in, they’re not making an NCAA/college football game anymore. Due to a whole lot of lawsuits related to amateurism in college sports in America, they haven’t made a new college football game in several years.

It’s a personal shame for me because I enjoy the college game a bit more, but the “franchise mode” in their college games always tends to be more interesting due to the nature of the set up and is lost for now.

• Noirpunk says:

The problem was that the graphics became too realistic.

Back in the old days, the virtual players all looked the same and weren’t “likenesses” of their real counterparts. I don’t think they even had different skin colors until the 32-bit era, let alone variable height, weight, fat/muscle ratio, etc. Eventually it got to the point where the stand-ins were so close to the real players that some of them objected.

I wonder if they could still make the games, as long as every player is the same height and weight. It would look weird, but at least they shouldn’t get into trouble that way.

• Baines says:

The problem is more complicated than the graphics becoming more realistic. EA, with its NCAA license, just managed to get caught up in a much larger legal battle.

The real problem is that college sports is a billion dollar industry where everyone except the people actually playing the games gets rich. Players themselves risk career-ending injuries, working potentially years for what legally was considered no pay. It has all sorts of sometimes downright idiotic rules and restrictions in place to pretend that the players are amateurs, that it is educational instead of business, and the like.

That’s why the NCAA has been hit with various legal threats over the years. Of course the NCAA has the money and influence to fight back even when it is obvious that they should have lost many years ago.

It is also why the NCAA and the schools involved have fought against things like player unionization.

• ninnyjams says:

Madden is their most iterative game of all, and the thought is folks will just add in players instead of buying the next game.

• phanatic62 says:

Axis Football 2015
      link to store.steampowered.com

First year of the series, and not nearly as good as Madden, yet. Also, not NFL licensed. Probably not as good at Madden 2008, which is the last version on PC. However, at least someone is trying.

9. LennyLeonardo says:

Oh man. Loved Mutant League Football in the olden days. It was as close as we got to videogame Blood Bowl black then.

10. warkwark says:

very fun game. i remember selecting Da Bomb, a pass play that turned the ball into a literal bomb. in 2 p this was great because you had to move your receiver into place enough to sell the idea it was a regular pass, then step back at the last moment to allow the opponent to intercept. kaboom!

11. warkwark says:

also, i love games in which you can take legetitimately different approaches to winning. in mlf you could either win on poonts or kill enough enemies so they could no longer field a team. both ways worked.

12. raiders says:

I loved playing MLF. I played with the skeletons. They were awesome but man, they didn’t last long. LOL. I must say that I’m glad the video was early alpha. MLF looked and played better on my Sega.

13. aircool says:

The game was a bit crap (critics hated it), but it was a lot of fun to play.

14. Ejmir says:

It’s ugly. It looks bad. It’s a game only people from the USA know about.
    And Blood Bowl 2 is coming, even if it will be far from perfect, it will be far better than… this.

The game we’ve been waiting for ? Certainly not ! The majority of players world-wide has never heard of this game.

• crowleyhammer says:

I’m from England and i bought this back in 97 in Eastbourne with Fifa 97 in an electronics boutique.

Sadly I was staying there with my gran for the week with no megadrive so couldn’t even play it, she did have sim city on the PC tough.

• MisterFurious says:

“it will be far better than this”

Oh, so you can see the Future? That’s quite a talent.

15. vahnn says:

I couldn’t tell by reading if she understands the difference between Mutant League Football and Mutant Football League.

16. Axyl says: